Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How can I make a Barbarian Wild Surge macro without using rollable tables

I want to recreate the Wild Magic barbarian table on my character sheet, NOT as a rollable table made by the GM.  This table has has 8 entries. Several of those have some in-line dice rolls.  I know how to make a rollable table as a DM, but this is for a character that will be used in lots of different DMs' games (West Marches style) so I need it tied to the sheet and the sheet alone. It can't depend on APIs or anything on the DMs part.   Is such a thing possible?  I don't know where to begin with this.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
You can't do a rollable table (only the GM can create rollable tables), but you could just write a macro that prints the table/chart to chat, makes the roll to determine which entry of the table to use, and make any rolls needed for the individual entries.  If the entries are too large to print all out at once, you could just have the roll for the table with each table entry being a chat menu button that you can press to print out that particular entry as a separate macro.  That would save chat space for the initial roll, but require a bit more set up.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I don't know if this is possible, but could you add 8 abilities to the character sheet and name them WM1 to WM8? You could then have an ability on the character sheet that rolls a d8 and calls the selected macro? %{MyCharacter|WM[[1d8]]}

Edited 1620788147
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Are you using the 5e by Roll20 sheet? The mancerroll template is kind of a faux rollable table: &{template:mancerroll} {{title=Wild Surge}} {{c1=[[1d8]]}} {{option1=Surge Option 1 roll some dice - [[2d8]]}} {{option2=Surge Option 2 roll some dice [[2d6]]}} {{option3=Surge Option 3}} {{option4=Surge Option 4}} {{option5=Surge Option 5}} {{option6=Surge Option 6}} {{option7=Surge Option 7}} {{option8=Surge Option 8}} If you want to get rid of the 3d dice from all the inline rolls in each option (not sure how many there are in the table), you can use a few tricks to get rid of them. This is one (probably not the best one): &{template:mancerroll} {{title=Wild Surge}} {{c1=[[ceil(1d80/10)[1d8]]]}} {{option1=Surge Option 1 roll some dice - [[ceil(2d80/10)[2d8]]]}} {{option2=Surge Option 2 roll some dice [[ceil(2d60/10)[2d6]]]}} {{option3=Surge Option 3}} {{option4=Surge Option 4}} {{option5=Surge Option 5}} {{option6=Surge Option 6}} {{option7=Surge Option 7}} {{option8=Surge Option 8}}
Brian C. said: I don't know if this is possible, but could you add 8 abilities to the character sheet and name them WM1 to WM8? You could then have an ability on the character sheet that rolls a d8 and calls the selected macro? %{MyCharacter|WM[[1d8]]} Unfortunately, I've found that because Ability Calls happen before Inline Rolls, there's no way to get a roll to call a selected macro. In your example, the % is parsed before the [[ ]], so what happens is Roll20 tries to call an ability called WM[[1d8]] on the MyCharacter sheet, and it fails before ever getting to the inline roll. If you find a way around that, I'd be very interested!
Ah, dang, I came to the forums looking for help with this specific issue. I've seen threads dating back almost seven years with similar issues as well, it's surprising that the ability/macro function hasn't really been improved in all this time.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Skelatox said: Ah, dang, I came to the forums looking for help with this specific issue. I've seen threads dating back almost seven years with similar issues as well, it's surprising that the ability/macro function hasn't really been improved in all this time. As I mentioned above, there are ways to do this.  It just isn't exactly how you are going about it.
Oosh said: Are you using the 5e by Roll20 sheet? The mancerroll template is kind of a faux rollable table: &{template:mancerroll} {{title=Wild Surge}} {{c1=[[1d8]]}} {{option1=Surge Option 1 roll some dice - [[2d8]]}} {{option2=Surge Option 2 roll some dice [[2d6]]}} {{option3=Surge Option 3}} {{option4=Surge Option 4}} {{option5=Surge Option 5}} {{option6=Surge Option 6}} {{option7=Surge Option 7}} {{option8=Surge Option 8}} If you want to get rid of the 3d dice from all the inline rolls in each option (not sure how many there are in the table), you can use a few tricks to get rid of them. This is one (probably not the best one): &{template:mancerroll} {{title=Wild Surge}} {{c1=[[ceil(1d80/10)[1d8]]]}} {{option1=Surge Option 1 roll some dice - [[ceil(2d80/10)[2d8]]]}} {{option2=Surge Option 2 roll some dice [[ceil(2d60/10)[2d6]]]}} {{option3=Surge Option 3}} {{option4=Surge Option 4}} {{option5=Surge Option 5}} {{option6=Surge Option 6}} {{option7=Surge Option 7}} {{option8=Surge Option 8}} Thanks, Oosh. This worked for me.  The extra large number aren't pretty, but they do grab your attention where it needs to be.   I don't understand what the second macro does. I don't use 3d dice. 
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
PunyPaladin said: Oosh said: &{template:mancerroll} {{title=Wild Surge}} {{c1=[[ceil(1d80/10)[1d8]]]}} {{option1=Surge Option 1 roll some dice - [[ceil(2d80/10)[2d8]]]}} {{option2=Surge Option 2 roll some dice [[ceil(2d60/10)[2d6]]]}} {{option3=Surge Option 3}} {{option4=Surge Option 4}} {{option5=Surge Option 5}} {{option6=Surge Option 6}} {{option7=Surge Option 7}} {{option8=Surge Option 8}}    I don't understand what the second macro does. I don't use 3d dice.  The second one just replaced standard RPG dice options with non-3D friendly ones so that they wouldn't generate rolls if you were using 3D dice... since you aren't, it isn't an issue but a useful trick to be aware of, as is the manceroll template usage!

Edited 1621333645
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
PunyPaladin said: The extra large number aren't pretty, but they do grab your attention where it needs to be.   I don't understand what the second macro does. I don't use 3d dice.  There's a couple of things you can do about the numbers. First is to use Stylus to restyle the inline roll elements for that template, but this only affects your browser, so it'll still be funny looking for other players. Second would be to wrap them in null Ability links, so [[2d6]] would become [[[2d6]]](#). It will look better, but with the significant downside of losing the mouseover roll tooltip. I already happen to have had the padding on those rolls reduced on one of my Stylus presets, so it looks like this for me: