Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Copy/Paste Creating "blank" tokens.

As the title says, when I try to copy/paste tokens in my games, I just get a blank token.  To be precise, this happens when I use a token that's already been created and edited, then use ctrl c + ctrl v to try and place a second token (or group of tokens) on the board.  I don't think I've changed any of my game settings recently.  Any help would be appreciated as making large battles has become much more tedious (especially for things like random encounters). Thanks!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I am unable to duplicate this using either control + c/v or the right click dialogue for copy and paste.  It always gives me an exact duplicate of the token I copied with all settings intact.  Does this happen with all tokens in your game?  If it is happening with all tokens in your game, you might try another game in case that particular game is different somehow.  You might even try a copy of your game to see if it works the same there. 
Alright, so I did some investigating and found out that it's only happening with new creatures that I pull out of the compendium.  My older creatures seem to be working fine.  If you still can't repro this, let me know and I'll give you my game settings.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This might be related to a bug that began with the Character sheet update. It is possible that you are copying and pasting creatures that have not complete resolved. Newly-dropped characters now must fully resolve before closing the window. If you close it too early, the process stops, including token assignment. (If you have an incomplete monster due to this, you must delete or rename it before trying to drag in a fresh one. The Compendium will not overwrite an identically named monster, to preserve local modifications.). Many users have reported broken monsters with incomplete stat blocks or missing tokens.  Here is one such thread , though there are others. Before this change, the character sheet would finish forming in the background even after the window was closed. This has  been reported multiple times  and is  under investigation .
I do let the sheet and token appear before attempting to copy/paste it.  And just to be sure, I tried it again and got the same result.  As I said, it seems to only happen with new monsters I grab from the compendium.  I even deleted the monsters and grabbed them again giving them plenty of time to finish downloading.  I then highlighted the token using Ctrl C and Ctrl V and got the same result, a token with the picture but no stats attached to it (HP, AC, etc...)  Let me know if there's more info I can give.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Can you give an example of a monster that gives this issue? Also, which character sheet are you using? Finally, you've probably tried a lot of these, but here are the general troubleshooting steps: Could you please carefully work through these steps of our guide to  Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome  and  Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable  all  add-ons/extensions. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through  Step 4 .  (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) Thank you!
The monsters I pulled were all the trolls.  Once I got them all off of the compendium, I tried to copy/paste one of them and this is when I noticed the issue.  As I said, my older creatures seem to be working so it might have something to do with pulling new monsters into games off the compendium.  But if you still can't repro it, it might have something to do with some other setting.  I went through the three steps provided (it happens on both Firefox and Chrome, I have no API scrips or extensions running, I reset my cache).  I haven't done step 4 yet, but I'll try to get back to that later. As for the character sheet, I'm using the D&D 5e Sheet by Roll20.

Edited 1620904202
Alright, I put on my QA hat (from back in the day when I did QA) and really hammered it and finally figured out what the issues was.  I found one of my games that was working and meticulously went through all the settings finally finding the discrepancy.  All the games that were not working had the Bar 3 Link (in game settings) set to "hp_temp" as I was trying to have bar 3 display temp HP.  When I erased this, the tokens would once again copy properly when I did copy/paste.  So if you want to repro this bug, try setting your Bar 3 Link to hp_temp in settings and that should repro it for you.  Let me know if you need anymore info. Repro: 1)  Start up a roll20 game and enter game settings. 2)  Scroll down to "Bar 3 Link" and set it equal to "hp_temp" 3)  Save settings and enter the game 4)  Pull any creature (troll for example) from the compendium, (it has to be a creature that isn't already in the game) 5)  Pull the creature onto the board 6)  Highlight the creature then press CTRL C to copy and CTRL V to paste. Result:  The copied token will have visual components only, none of the tokens stats (HP, AC, etc) will be copied. Expected:  The copied token should have all the aspects of the base token that was copied.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
What are the other bars set to? I think temp_hp doesn't exist until a value is first entered, which might be part of the problem, but I want to make sure I have all the values in place before I repro.
Bar 1 is set to hp_max, Bar 1 Max is set to hp_max, Bar 2 link is set to npc_ac.