Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How can I use market place assets to create a map outside roll20?

I would like to be able to use the Market place map making assets outside of Roll20, so I can create an image of the very detailed map as just one file to render, to help with lag due to rendering so much. Does anyone know if I can do that? Thanks.
Gold
Forum Champion
Go back to the www webpage of the Marketplace Art Pack that you have-purchased, on Roll20 Marketplace (not inside your game table). There will be a blue button DOWNLOAD COMPLETE SET --- on the webpage of assets you own there & which allow it (most of them allow it, especially art packs, map packs, tile sets). Download that (it will be a ZIP file), unzip that to a folder full of art files (JPG, PNG). You can use those art pieces in any program like Photoshop, Paint, GIMP (Free).

Edited 1621996922
Wordforger
Plus
Marketplace Creator
To add onto what Gold said, I know Krita (also free) at least has the ability to create a grid for you similar to what Roll20 has that you can snap to for ease of resizing/lining up pieces.  Roll20 asks us to set the art to 140px140p per "square" on the grid at 72ppi if that helps.  Individual assets may be a bit bigger, though, so be prepared for that.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Go here. <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/myitems" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/myitems</a> Then go to the item and follow Gold's instructions. Most people make their packs downloadable, and then add-ons like token status markers cannot be, but you can find out for sure by scrolling to the bottom of the pack's information where it will tell you if it can be downloaded or not before purchase. Of course you can do this! Most people should, it will make the games run more effectively and allow you to mix in assets from other sources too without uploading them all.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Gimp and Photoshop also have snap-to-grid options, but all of them will be very clunky to use for this use because each item will inhabit its own layer for as long as you want to be able to move those things around. Using Layer Groups to keep the map concepts separate (base of map, walls, furniture, decor, etc.) will be important. If you are working with a tiled map set, you will probably want to merge the tiles together eventually just to keep track of which layer matches with a specific section of the map. It's a little tricky, but you will figure it out.
Wordforger said: To add onto what Gold said, I know Krita (also free) at least has the ability to create a grid for you similar to what Roll20 has that you can snap to for ease of resizing/lining up pieces.&nbsp; Roll20 asks us to set the art to 140px140p per "square" on the grid at 72ppi if that helps.&nbsp; Individual assets may be a bit bigger, though, so be prepared for that. Thanks for the recommendation for the software and the sizing info!
Wordforger
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Dr DM said: Thanks for the recommendation for the software and the sizing info! You're very welcome.&nbsp; Just let me know if you've got any more questions.
Awesome information everyone, thank you so much!
Hey Brian C, have chosen Gimp, as I want to become more familiar with it for other applications. Would you happen to know of any good tutorials regarding the layer management you referenced? I see many on a simple search, and wanted to go with your expert opinion before I went down that rabbit trail. Thanks in advance if you, or any other of the great folks here in the Roll20 forum, have further guidance for me.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
While I have no opinion on tutorials, you might also look at their documentation.&nbsp; It might answer some questions for you. <a href="https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en_US/gimp-dialogs-structure.html#gimp-layer-dialog" rel="nofollow">https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en_US/gimp-dialogs-structure.html#gimp-layer-dialog</a>
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Dikus Maximus said: Hey Brian C, have chosen Gimp, as I want to become more familiar with it for other applications. Would you happen to know of any good tutorials regarding the layer management you referenced? I see many on a simple search, and wanted to go with your expert opinion before I went down that rabbit trail. Thanks in advance if you, or any other of the great folks here in the Roll20 forum, have further guidance for me. I don't have an opinion on tutorials either. I have just searched for answers to individual questions over the years and kept on going. The link from Kraynic should help, and it leads to the following link down the page:&nbsp; <a href="https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en_US/gimp-layer-groups.html" rel="nofollow">https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en_US/gimp-layer-groups.html</a> I would suggest setting up a layer group for each group of things on your map: the floor, the walls, the furniture, the vegetation, etc. As you drop in your various images, they will be added as a layer above the currently selected layer, so if you are dropping in a lot of floor tiles, you would want to create a "Floor" layer group, drop a floor tile into Gimp, and drag that layer to the Floor layer group. Then, all the additional tiles will be added to that layer group automatically. The other spot you will want to do some reading and setting up is on pixels per inch (ppi) and the grid. You will want to set up the map with 70 or 140 ppi (140 is higher resolution, 70 is a much smaller image file and quite often good enough). This will allow you to have 1 inch = 1 grid square. You will then want to set up your grid to the same number of pixels. Before you export the image, record the dimensions of the image in inches. Then resize the image so that it is 72 ppi. This is not strictly necessary, but it is a good practice especially if you made the map at 140 ppi. Roll20 will sometimes look at you strangely if you try to upload an image outside of the 70-96 ppi range. Export the image as an index 90 JPG with its dimensions as part of the name so you easily know what size to make the map in Roll20 (e.g. my-map-32x20.jpg). An index 90 JPG will in many cases have all the information of an index 100&nbsp;JPG.
I am sooooo lost.. So here is my Question.. and sorry, I can't help you with yours.. Can you find online fully developed roll20 maps/dungeons/wilderness etc stocked with monsters etc.. Basically something similar to the Mad Mage module purchaseable through roll 20? Can you trade, share on roll20, do people trade, share, or even sell the creations they have made or is it mostly, build your own ontop of maps you find.. stocking your game as the DM?&nbsp;

Edited 1622481476
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Jarad K. said: I am sooooo lost.. So here is my Question.. and sorry, I can't help you with yours.. Can you find online fully developed roll20 maps/dungeons/wilderness etc stocked with monsters etc.. Basically something similar to the Mad Mage module purchaseable through roll 20? Can you trade, share on roll20, do people trade, share, or even sell the creations they have made or is it mostly, build your own ontop of maps you find.. stocking your game as the DM?&nbsp; So that this thread is not derailed, please create a new post here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/19" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/19</a> To partially answer your question, you either buy adventures on the Roll20 marketplace (which includes everything needed to run the adventure) or you build it yourself with assets from the marketplace or uploaded from elsewhere. If you are looking for adventures that are ready to play (such as DotMM), please include the game system you play, the length of adventure product you want (one-shot, adventure, long campaign), and any subject matter or content you are interested in. Then people can give recommendations for adventures on the marketplace. The more specific you are with what you are looking for, the better the answers will be.
Thanks Brian for the info, and keeping us on track. My final question would be, what are the contractual obligations I have once I create a detailed map, from the components I bought from a vendor on Roll20? Could I then sell that map (as part of an adventure I would create as well) in Roll20 Marketplace? Would I owe a royalty to the vendor, or would I be able to do this at all?Thanks for the great info, and I'm working through Gimp right now, at least fro my group, but wondered if others could benefit from all my hard work. Thanks again.

Edited 1622661279
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Dikus Maximus said: Thanks Brian for the info, and keeping us on track. My final question would be, what are the contractual obligations I have once I create a detailed map, from the components I bought from a vendor on Roll20? Could I then sell that map (as part of an adventure I would create as well) in Roll20 Marketplace? Would I owe a royalty to the vendor, or would I be able to do this at all?Thanks for the great info, and I'm working through Gimp right now, at least fro my group, but wondered if others could benefit from all my hard work. Thanks again. I don't speak for Roll20, but this is my understanding for marketplace products and other licensing issues in general: Only original artwork may be sold as art products on the Roll20 marketplace. You cannot use art assets and repackage them in any way or use them in another product. This also means no modern programs that procedurally generate terrain such as DungeonDraft, Inkarnate, CC3+, etc. Art assets can be used in an adventure product you sell on the marketplace, but you must have explicit permission in the form of a license to do so. In fact, every part of an adventure product can only contain original content created by you or content that you have obtained a license to use in the adventure product. This includes art, rules content, stat blocks, and anything else in the adventure. You cannot share content in any other forum (such as reddit) without a license to do so. Many licenses that come with purchased art are for your personal use only. You cannot share your work made with that content without a license. By all means use it in a game with your players, but that is usually as far as you can go with the basic license that comes with most art. In contrast, stock art purchased from a website will often come with a license that stipulates what you can and cannot do with the art. On a superficial level, it sounds like anything you are making with assets and process described above will be for your personal use only.