Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 Support

Has anyone ever had any luck with official support? I've opened, maybe 4 tickets over the last few years and here's what's happened each time. 1. Open ticket, add all information, hope for resolution. 2. Wait 2-4 weeks before you get a response. 2a. Response: "Hi, are you still having trouble? Can we close the ticket?" 2b. "Yes, I am still having issues" You add more details maybe and wait. 3. Wait 1-4 weeks before you get another response. "Are you still having issues? Can we close the ticket?" OR 4. Never hear back from them again. This has happened EVERY TIME. Does anyone else have any better luck than I do?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That happens about half the time. It's the way tickets are processed. My understanding* : You file a ticket, it goes to a team which routes it to the appropriate department. If the ticket can be fixed, it gets fixed. If it can't be fixed, it gets noted on a log of things that can't be fixed, can't be fixed yet, won't be changed, won't be changed yet, not a real problem, on a road map for a broader project, or whatever. There are usually valid reasons the thing is not done. The problem is, this does not get communicated back to the first team. They route things and follow up, but they do not usually interact with the fixing of said problem. I've filed about a dozen tickets in the last year. About half of them turn out as you describe above. The problem is noted, but communication does not flow back if it cannot or will not be addressed. The other half get fixed. *Inferred from public statements. May not be true. I am not a lawyer or a dev, nor do I play one on TV.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I submitted a request for information a while back, admittedly self-flagged as 'not urgent' but would have expected a template response based on the subject matter. Other than the initial receipt automated response I've yet to hear anything back. I can't, nor won't, judge based on volumes of tickets versus number of support staff wading through them but I do think transparency in the process or service level agreement expectations on response time would go a long way to helping alleviate the frustration of users with more pressing issues than mine. keithcurtis said: I am not a lawyer or a dev, nor do I play one on TV. Netflix just confirmed that, based on this sentence alone, they'd like to pilot this as a 10 episode series for starters. We begin filming KC QC on Monday (tag line 'Taking down crime, one line of code at a time'), your script is in the post...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm, "script" does double word duty there.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Ziechael said: I can't, nor won't, judge based on volumes of tickets versus number of support staff wading through them but I do think transparency in the process or service level agreement expectations on response time would go a long way to helping alleviate the frustration of users with more pressing issues than mine. The problem I have with this is one of the listed perks for Pro subs is "Email Support Directly from the Dev Team." I've not experienced that level of support in a LOOOOONG time and it gets frustrating.   I think a service level agreement of expectations could go a long way, especially if Pro subs were prioritized higher since that's something we are supposedly paying for. If that's no longer a Pro Sub perk, then remove it so our expectations are set appropriately in that way, too...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. That wording is on the Help Center page, but no longer on the subscription page. I'm guessing it's an oversight.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: Hmm. That wording is on the Help Center page, but no longer on the subscription page. I'm guessing it's an oversight. Possibly...it's still on my Account page:
keithcurtis said: That happens about half the time. It's the way tickets are processed. My understanding* : You file a ticket, it goes to a team which routes it to the appropriate department. If the ticket can be fixed, it gets fixed. If it can't be fixed, it gets noted on a log of things that can't be fixed, can't be fixed yet, won't be changed, won't be changed yet, not a real problem, on a road map for a broader project, or whatever. There are usually valid reasons the thing is not done. The problem is, this does not get communicated back to the first team. They route things and follow up, but they do not usually interact with the fixing of said problem. I've filed about a dozen tickets in the last year. About half of them turn out as you describe above. The problem is noted, but communication does not flow back if it cannot or will not be addressed. The other half get fixed. *Inferred from public statements. May not be true. I am not a lawyer or a dev, nor do I play one on TV. Maybe everything I have submitted has been unfixable or not a problem. It seems unlikely. For instance, the last one was simply that I wasn't being listed as a Sheet Author even though I have set everything on the sheet to point to me username correctly. Or if I hadn't, I supposed support would tell me. Nope. They wait 2-4 weeks and ask if they can close the ticket.
Hi everyone, First I want to start with TetNak, I believe I was able to find your most recent active ticket. I'll be getting that in front of the appropriate parties. The second portion here is the evolution of support at Roll20. In most cases you are talking to the XP Team (The Customer Support staff) when submitting a support ticket. The XP Team for Roll20 handles every single ticket that comes through and has carte blanche when it comes to hunting down solutions and answers internally. The XP Team runs initial triage and troubleshooting informed by various subject matter experts (developers, production, etc.), as well as submitting and cataloging any bug reports in the backlog where the appropriate parties then prioritize based on a number of factors. Communication on where an issue is at after it has entered the backlog is a place we are lacking. We are looking into a number of avenues to improve transparency on the status of an issue that can fulfill a variety of needs in these areas. Knowing the status of an ongoing issue is something that should be quick to check on. As soon as I have more info I can share about those efforts it will be out there ASAP. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me :)
Gold
Forum Champion
PM'ing Drespar to ask about the state of the Bugs & Technical Issues forum (going largely unanswered for the past months)
Wanderer
Pro
Sheet Author
Drespar said: The XP Team for Roll20 handles every single ticket that comes through and has carte blanche when it comes to hunting down solutions and answers internally. The XP Team runs initial triage and troubleshooting informed by various subject matter experts (developers, production, etc.), as well as submitting and cataloging any bug reports in the backlog where the appropriate parties then prioritize based on a number of factors. Communication on where an issue is at after it has entered the backlog is a place we are lacking. I think it would be good to look at communication earlier in the chain too. It would be nice for people to know that their ticket had been at least picked up and looked at (maybe that could be a generic message if you don't want to bog down the XP Team). If it then goes on the backlog and won't get an immediate answer then the person who raised it would want to know that too. It may not be good news but it's transparent.
Hi Wanderer! We have some initial communication in place currently. When we have enough information on a bug report that has come in as well as reproduction steps it gets submitted to the backlog. When we have gotten to that step we make sure to inform folks that a ticket has been submitted. We also inform regarding any info we can provide regarding an ETA (In most cases, we cannot provide an ETA). That said, this doesn't mean our current solution is the most comprehensive or can't improve. I like to get whatever feedback possible, so for interested folks, here is an example someone might see after submitting a bug and a development ticket is created-- Hello [Name] Thank you again for the information! A bug ticket has been filled out and submitted to our Development team with the information you have provided. Unfortunately, we cannot provide an ETA on when the issue will be resolved. If you have any further questions or would like updates in the future, feel free to reach out to us again. [Sign off] Our goals are of course achieving high information density, but I would be interested to know what sort of information others might find useful in this type of communication that would better meet user needs-- especially when we are discussing bugs that are having an impact on their experience. Wanderer said: I think it would be good to look at communication earlier in the chain too. It would be nice for people to know that their ticket had been at least picked up and looked at (maybe that could be a generic message if you don't want to bog down the XP Team). If it then goes on the backlog and won't get an immediate answer then the person who raised it would want to know that too. It may not be good news but it's transparent.
In my head, I sort of have this differentiation between: 1) Support Request - I'm having this particular problem with my game/account and need help fixing it because I don't have the knowledge or permissions to do it myself 2) Bug Report - Roll20 is currently behaving incorrectly in this particular situation 3) Feature Request - Roll20 is currently behaving in a way I don't like in this particular situation Helpdesk ticketing systems and communication flows work well for 1, and are good for figuring out if some sort of buggy behavior is happening that would require 2, but then they sort of break down.  Helpdesk ticketing systems want tickets to be closed in order and in a timely fashion. Which is why you get the communication above.  The helpdesk people can't help any more, so they hand it off to the devs and want the ticket closed.  Which makes sense - but it's somewhat unsatisfying for the person who filed the support request. Unfortunately, it means that the bug reports sorta go into a personal black hole.  And knowing that this is how the ticket will be handled, makes me less likely to report bugs.  Should I bother reporting the various issues with UDL?  That title images are missing from games created from modules?  That the tutorial doesn't work?  That updating a module reset some default tokens in my game?  That editing two tokens at once makes the token bar style radio button all wonky?  There are a bunch of well known issues in the forums that I assume someone else has probably reported.  I don't want to just make extra work for whomever has to take my ticket, and don't want to do the work myself putting together steps and screenshots and whatnot for something already reported.  I don't need help with my game, I just want you to know your code is all broken.  But is my not reporting things affecting metrics?  Am I making the issues seem less important by not bugging your helpdesk about them?  Are there bugs you're missing cause no one is reporting them? Is there any chance we could get some sort of general "known issues" post somewhere?  I'm happy to provide reproduction steps for bugs - but I don't want to waste my and your time going over stuff that's already well characterized and stuck in a development backlog somewhere.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I have a ticket currently in limbo, and I have no idea how it fits into the current scheme of things.  On April 16, I sent in a ticket to see if I could gain permission to upload images to the wiki to help maintain things as the UI changes (ticket 53524).  On May 21, I got the automated email that I needed to reply to in order to keep it active.  It seems like something that would easily be a "yes", "no", or "we need something from you before giving an answer on your request".   There is no bug, there is nothing to reproduce, and it doesn't impact my game play (obviously)...  So maybe this sort of thing is getting thrown in with other stuff that is much more difficult to solve and is always at the back of the queue because it isn't important?  Seems (from my end) like it would be a relatively easy thing to make a decision on one way or another.
Kraynic said: I have a ticket currently in limbo, and I have no idea how it fits into the current scheme of things.  On April 16, I sent in a ticket to see if I could gain permission to upload images to the wiki to help maintain things as the UI changes (ticket 53524).  On May 21, I got the automated email that I needed to reply to in order to keep it active.  It seems like something that would easily be a "yes", "no", or "we need something from you before giving an answer on your request".   There is no bug, there is nothing to reproduce, and it doesn't impact my game play (obviously)...  So maybe this sort of thing is getting thrown in with other stuff that is much more difficult to solve and is always at the back of the queue because it isn't important?  Seems (from my end) like it would be a relatively easy thing to make a decision on one way or another. This is almost always what I experience. No real reply except asking if they can close the ticket.
Hi Sean! The first bolded portion hits the nail on the head. Especially in the case of bugs, we take it as far as we can utilizing as many resources as possible to ensure a comprehensive bug report. Unfortunately, our help desk is not equipped to be a place to keep the most up to date information on the status of a bug report. As to the underlined portion, this is exactly what we want to address going forward. Bug reports and criticisms are immensely valuable, and if that process is obfuscated (as it unfortunately is at the moment) it is disheartening and results in folks not letting us know there is a problem and that is a terrible spot to be in. I can say that reports coming in are being recorded and brought up continuously internally, which brings me to the next point you mention... The italicized portion (just gonna almost run through the whole gambit of text styling I guess lol) is a request I have seen often, and something we have done (to a certain extent) when it comes to releases such as the ongoing UDL threads or forum threads for Roll20 Marketplace items or official sheet threads. That said, we can do  more  and  better  to lift the veil on bugs and their status. Sean G.  said: In my head, I sort of have this differentiation between: 1) Support Request - I'm having this particular problem with my game/account and need help fixing it because I don't have the knowledge or permissions to do it myself 2) Bug Report - Roll20 is currently behaving incorrectly in this particular situation 3) Feature Request - Roll20 is currently behaving in a way I don't like in this particular situation Helpdesk ticketing systems and communication flows work well for 1, and are good for figuring out if some sort of buggy behavior is happening that would require 2, but then they sort of break down.   Helpdesk ticketing systems want tickets to be closed in order and in a timely fashion. Which is why you get the communication above.  The helpdesk people can't help any more, so they hand it off to the devs and want the ticket closed.  Which makes sense - but it's somewhat unsatisfying for the person who filed the support request. Unfortunately, it means that the bug reports sorta go into a personal black hole.  And knowing that this is how the ticket will be handled, makes me less likely to report bugs.  Should I bother reporting the various issues with UDL?  That title images are missing from games created from modules?  That the tutorial doesn't work?  That updating a module reset some default tokens in my game?  That editing two tokens at once makes the token bar style radio button all wonky?  There are a bunch of well known issues in the forums that I assume someone else has probably reported.  I don't want to just make extra work for whomever has to take my ticket, and don't want to do the work myself putting together steps and screenshots and whatnot for something already reported.  I don't need help with my game, I just want you to know your code is all broken.  But is my not reporting things affecting metrics?  Am I making the issues seem less important by not bugging your helpdesk about them?  Are there bugs you're missing cause no one is reporting them? Is there any chance we could get some sort of general "known issues" post somewhere?  I'm happy to provide reproduction steps for bugs - but I don't want to waste my and your time going over stuff that's already well characterized and stuck in a development backlog somewhere. Hey Kraynic, First off, apologies for the delay and thanks for adding the ticket ID. I believe someone from the XP Team should be getting to you soon to get it sorted!

Edited 1622666066
Wanderer
Pro
Sheet Author
Drespar said: Hi Wanderer! We have some initial communication in place currently. When we have enough information on a bug report that has come in as well as reproduction steps it gets submitted to the backlog. When we have gotten to that step we make sure to inform folks that a ticket has been submitted. We also inform regarding any info we can provide regarding an ETA (In most cases, we cannot provide an ETA). Thanks Drespar. That sounds positive from an early communication perspective. Do you have any stats on what percentage of bug reports go into that kind of "we've escalated but have no ETA" status and/or how many are closed without resolution? My experience of the platform is very much that minor problems (and sometimes major) do crop up, and that when someone talks about raising a bug report another player is likely to say "Don't bother, they never fix them". As a dev myself I'm sure that's a frustrating perspective for you and your team, but if it's a genuine reflection of reality then that's concerning. I believe that the dev team have been doing a lot of work on the back end of the system - has that led to any reduction in bugs raised, or their capacity to address new issues that arise?  (edit) I agree with Sean G's points - wanting to closing the help desk ticket is understandable, but it does need to be accompanied by something that reassures the person who raised the ticket that the issue isn't being abandoned.