Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dynamic Lighting - One Sided Dynamic Lighting

+1
+1. Stop breaking stuff that was supposedly working, and add content like this. 
+1 I know I wouldn't be the only person getting so much use out of this.
+1
+1, I'm hoping that after nearly 5 years of requesting this will be implemented soon.  I recently began taking campaigns through Roll20 seriously and have run into this problem with elevation.  Can't wait until they (hopefully) add this feature!!
+1
+1
Mark R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Yep, players in a valley should not be able to see atop a cliff, but players atop a cliff should be able to see in a valley. 
+1
+1

Edited 1621693399
Ray
Pro
+1... FTT has it...
+1 The Dynamic Lighting system that took so long to update is still only the basics, and needs to be built upon.  The fact that this option wasn't implemented already when competitors have it as a base feature, and our cost is going up really shows something.
+1
PLEASE ROLL20 ADD THIS!!!
+1
Please do this!
+1 I have a lot of maps with tiered levels and elevation changes that would definitely benefit from this feature
+1 this is an awesome idea!
Another +1 as I'm working on a tiered map and, well. it would just be very nice.
Is this a feature yet? It would be amazing for all of my outdoor maps, or just being able to see the thing obstructing vision but not beyond it in the case of pillars and the like.
Another +1, currently working on lighting for a map with multiple tiers descending into a pit and one-way light barriers would be a godsend. 
+1
+1
+1

Edited 1630870409
Yup, I'm here for the same thing.
I like the one-sided vision for dynamic lighting, but what really puzzles me is why we don't have the option to make WINDOWS . I would love to see something that allows vision but blocks the token path from moving beyond it. PLEASE MAKE WINDOWS FOR DYNAMIC LIGHTING!
Foundry VTT has several types of walls that give the results of "windows" and "one-sided lighting" as well as other useful walls/doors.&nbsp; <a href="https://foundryvtt.com/article/walls/" rel="nofollow">https://foundryvtt.com/article/walls/</a> It would be great to have similar functionality.
+1 Why don't we have windows functionality already? Dynamic lighting already blocks movement. Just add that without blocking sight, is it that hard to implement? We've been waiting for this for years now!
Devs, is this going to happen?&nbsp; Would be a HUGE improvement on dynamic lighting and make it a powerhouse tool for custom maps
+1 Came to the forums to create this thread. Glad I found it already exists! This is a major BANG FOR YOUR BUCK feature to develop. There's so much I love about Roll20! Kudos to the Devs for all your hard work. PLEASE add this. Imagine climbing up a mountain path and being able to see everything down below or standing on a parapet and being able to take in the battlefield while those below can't see you. So much value and utility to this feature request.
+1 I agree that it would be an excellent addition. The fact that this thread is seven years old suggests that many other users feel the same way.
7 years since the suggestion
+1 for me.. running any city based game with thieves on rooftops is horrific at the moment!
So waiting for this. Windows, jail bars and force fields, transparent but a movement barrier. Changes of level where you can see down but not up eg. cliffs and roof tops.
Mel P.
KS Backer
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
+1 This needs to happen. So many use cases for functionality.
+1, as someone who recently finished a campaign involving plenty of roof climbing and wall fighting. It would make my life so much easier and better.
+1
This would be so good for making maps much more dynamic!
Roll20 can we expect this? or should we just use another VTT?
Why is this obstructed? Didn’t the devs spend a year and a half rewriting the infrastructure of Roll20 for the new dynamic lighting?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Gargamond said: Why is this obstructed? Didn’t the devs spend a year and a half rewriting the infrastructure of Roll20 for the new dynamic lighting? At one point, in some dynamic lighting related thread, there was a dev comment that stated there probably wouldn't be action on stuff like this until we not only had UDL stable (which it seems to be for some, but a not so much for others) but also that LDL was gone.&nbsp; Whether that still holds true or not, I have no idea.&nbsp; Right now Roll20 is running 2 lighting system engines (webgl for UDL and canvas for LDL), if I understand correctly.&nbsp; I can't imagine that is helping platform stability.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Hello all -&nbsp; I've updated the status of this suggestion to Queued, as we're working on this feature right now. Morgan&nbsp; mentioned this feature in a recent blog post , along with several other features on the roadmap.
I would also like this! As an aside, though, I'd also like a "low barrier" option to block vision below, say, waist level for barrels, desks, low platforms, etc.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It's now available on the Dev Server for Pro users to try out. See On Dev Server: One-Way Dynamic Lighting Barriers for more (Thread visible only to pro users) Screenshot from the thread:

Edited 1648125688
Especially - and I guess this was the intend of the change request - there should be the possibility to add vision blocking to a token (=object) in order to create e.g. a column which should be visible, but it should not be possible to see behind it. Would be of extraordinary help to have this for street encounters with buildings. I think this shouldn't be too difficult to develop. Currently the vision blocking already has to calculate the blocking from the front side. Then it should calculate it for the back side: So currently roll20 has to block everything behind the "front line". Then it just has to block everything behind the "back line". This would elimate at last the black obstacles where players can't see what these obstacles are. +1
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's exactly what is demonstrated in the post above.
Carlos S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
One-Way barriers are now available to Plus and Pro users!