Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

what causes this odd output in my chat button

I have been trying to figure out how to have a chat button embedded in a repeating attack or spell that calls a macro saved on the same character sheet. I don't understand why one of these lines works, and the other does not.  The macro I am calling is just two simple rolls, one works but the inline roll does not: Macro: /roll 1d20 [[1d20]] My button and the output: I am using the Pathfinder by Roll20 sheet. I am just looking for an understanding of why this is happening, I am not trying to accomplish anything but learning how this stuff all works right now.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Is there supposed to be an image in your post? I don't see it.
GiGs said: Is there supposed to be an image in your post? I don't see it. Yes, apparently you can't just cut and paste it, you have to upload it.  Edited now.
I should add that clicking the button again keeps rolling the /roll1d20 but the inline roll always gives that same line, it is not randomized output.
Your ability call is getting resolved and the inline roll within at the time the 'rolls' button is shown rather than when it's clicked. The strange text is a result of parsing the inline roll output as if it's input. It looks like your just calling an ability with your 'rolls' button so I'd recommend a different syntax which should fix things for you. Try using this:- [rolls](~Oloch|rollit)

Edited 1625003604
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
If you are calling something that is on the Attributes & Abilities tab, you shouldn't need any html replacements.  You also don't need curly brackets. [rolls](~Oloch|rollit) Edit: And I was 30 seconds too slow!
Thanks for answering! When I enter: [rolls](~Oloch|rollit) I don't get a button, just a hyper link. Clicking it does run the full macro, its just really hard to notice.  I've looked at a number of tutorials for roll20 macros, is there some where you can recommend I should read to get a better understanding of what is happening? 
It appears that the Pathfinder sheet treats the two differently [Rolls](!
%{Oloch|rollit}) should give you the button look without the problems you previously had by escaping the % symbol that prevents it from expanding the ability until clicked. As for why all this is happening is more about web app development / sheet authoring than it is about the macro system. I doubt any macro tutorial will discuss what's going on under the hood. I however do reference Roll20 Help Center's Dice Reference and Macros pages a lot.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
You did say you wanted a button right?  That is exactly what that is. The Pathfinder by Roll20 sheet alters how the buttons look so you don't get a big pink button for Concentration when you cast a spell (if you didn't know that is clickable on the spell output rolls, now you know).  It saves a ton of space if you do something that has multiple buttons.  Keep in mind that you can make the label anything you want.  [Click here to roll the extra macro] may be overkill, but would certainly get the point across.  As long as you label it with something that makes sense, it doesn't take long to get used to having buttons be text that actually blends in with the template output. And, if you just need the roll, you can just use inline rolls in the notes section just fine.  For instance, UMD rolls for item activation are nice to just set up in the notes of the output you set up for the item. A chat menu I put together on one of my character for a game where I don't want to have to open my sheet all the time, so I can just pull this up as a token action: And just a roll in notes:
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
And the Spam-a-day keeps on coming in, thanks for playing fernando-bot, you have been reported fernando96847 said: Voice  Chat  not functioning properly is a big issue in a game like Valorant, Here you will be able to customize  the  voice input and  output  Keeping  the  input voice settings to auto-detect has been  causing  this You can try and set it up to  the  PTT or  the  push-to-talk mode, and keep 'V' as  the  default  button .
RainbowEncoder said: [Rolls](!
%{Oloch|rollit}) should give you the button look Most triumphant! Yes this  worked, and it makes sense. Thank you for the help, you're cool.