Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Mapchange API

When Mapchange API is active and properly working in a session, when that session then goes into idle mode, mapchange API fails to function until the DM goes to the api page and manually toggles a setting in the mapchange api settings then hits save, then even though that should work as intended, you still need to literally restart the api sandbox manually for the settings to really save.  Then the session properly works until the next time the sandbox goes idle.  Then I must repeat the same process.  I even surrendered to this bug and proceeded to try to just set the ingame maps settings to work around the default mapchange api settings and it still behaves this way even though the settings all match right.  I still have to go in, toggle a setting, save, manually restart, and stay in the session and it will begin working right again....Until the next sandbox idle.  This is the only api of like 20 that behaves this way in the session.  
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Just so I'm clear on what's happening, the API continues to operate, comes back up when people rejoin the game, but the settings for that API script revert to the default?
Yes, and when I finally caved and switched my maps to match the naming scheme and setup of the "default" options outside in the outside settings options for mapchange, it still fails to function after the sandbox idles.   Essentially we will play on a night just fine, then we all head off to bed, come back for a new session, when I log in the sandbox spins up from idle, every api functions fine, but the keys for mapchange fail.  I proceed to hit restart, nothing, then I go to the settings for mapchange in its tab, see they had reset to the default options(invert checked) and then I change that to invert unchecked, hit save, something in the sandbox happens, then I try the buttons it still fails to function.  I proceed to hit a manual restart, and suddenly all the keys work again.  We play the session smoothly for hours, head off to bed, resume days later, same exact process happens again, the buttons fail to work, the checkbox for inverted is again on even though I had set it to unchecked before, I remedy it...rinse repeat yada yada.  So then, I thought, well if it wants to invert I'll tediously rename my maps with the marker code, so I did so, it began working with default settings, then we quit for the night, the sandbox idles due to inactivity, we come back on another night and BAM, even though the settings outside *look* right with how the maps are named inside....its not working.  I hit save(even though the settings look right) and still nothing works ingame, so then I manually restart and BAM everything works.  No errors btw ever.  No api crash messages anywhere.  The keys just fail to function period.  When the players fire the keys when the inversion checkbox is reset, they get the error that the maps are not public, when I tried to match the default settings instead of any error message all they get is nothing, no message in the sandbox, nothing, the key simply does nothing after asking them for stuff.   This key functions 100% of the time after I spin up an idle sandbox, hit save outside in the scripts tab, then manually restart the sandbox.  It fails to function whenever a player logs into the session without me, or when I log in after the sandbox has gone idle.   ?{Where do you want to go?|| Frontpage,!mc move --target Schedule| Character1Name ,!mc move --target Character1Name | Rejoin Party,!mc rejoin }
I feel like this isn't even an error with mapchange, but more something is off with the sandbox.  I know that recently they instituted auto restarts of the api sandbox for some errors where it disables the offfending scripts, is mapchange throwing a false positive for this new *feature* they added for auto restarts and auto disables?  I'm not even seeing any errors period, nothing.  It just simply doesn't work when I match the settings to defaults.  And when I try to uncheck invert, the buttons say that the maps are not public as it should cause outside for some reason the inversion checkbox keeps going back to default.  
The reason why I want this to function is cause the campaign is setup so that the players have a personal inventory page where they can log into session and switch between our weekly availability schedule map page, their personal inventory where all their item cards are displayed on their person, and then when in-session playing, they can rejoin the party map so they can easily edit and grab cards as they need from their inventory.  But cause of this idle bug, players can no longer reliably log in while I'm not around to go in and fiddle with their inventories and even trade cards between each other while offline RP'ing/shopping. 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Do you want to send me a PM invite and GM me and I can come do some inspection?