Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

pc movement outside of combat?

Just wonderin how you all control player movement while just exploring a dungeon out side of combat to keep a couple of them from rushing ahead and when they run into trouble the rest of the group is 100 feet away.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Let them rush ahead and trip traps or encounter creatures the whole group should have. if it kills their character then they are out of the session for the night. Let them build their character after the game or in a seperate room if you need to watch their rolls. This will teach them about consequences of their actions.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ask my players not to be butts? =)
If you ever find yourself in a position where you have to say "What happens if my players are intentionally act in a way that does not serve the enjoyment of the group", the solution is pretty much always that you're internally aware of the fact that your players may be a problem. It's not an issue you solve with any mechanical tools or restrictions, it's a personal thing. Try talking to them.
Lol sorry should have been more specific. Its not a huge deal and its not ruining the game. Its more of newer to the roll20 system and still have some hardtop table ideas of how a game is played. I was thinking should i still keep movement turn based so if they split up its more realistic. I guess im just fishing for new ideas.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You could move all the characters to the GM layer or off the board and place a single "party" token they all can control.
I have a particularly good group when it comes to this sort of thing, so my advice may not apply. In those situations where it's applicable, I announce an "open movevment" phase. What this means is that players are, generally speaking, able to move their characters wherever they want without 'hard' limit. I ask them to PLEASE move no more than a double-move at a time, then give me and the other players to catch up with them. I also let them know that when I say stop, I mean STOP! right then, right there. I sometimes have to move a token or two back a few steps, but for the most part this system is simple and open enough that it works. However, there are times when the party will all suddenly split up, going in all different directions, and revealing too much stuff at once. If I am foresightful enough to see one of these situations coming, I'll drop to "turn movement", and force each player to wait until their next turn. This is not rolled for initiative or anything, but rather I'll pick one or a group of players, focus on them, then pause things and ask the other players "ok, while they're doing that, what are you doing?" This keeps things moving, but is of course much slower. And of course, when it gets right down to the nitty-gritty where every second passed and every square moved count, that's when I break out the Turn Order window and initiatives are rolled. Ideally, I would keep the entire game in either Initiative or 'turn movement' phase, but that can really slow the gameplay down when there's not a lot going on. I'm also generous in letting players who aren't well-positioned get close to the action, if they need to, when something interesting happens, so it doesn't always make sense that the dwarf with movement 20 is right next to the elf with movement 40 when the ambush happens, but hey... I'd rather have fun than follow the rules any day! Just my two coppers. -Phnord PS: Yes, Aaron, that's also a great idea. I use it sometimes, primarily in larger maps like overland and what-have-you.
The only thing I've ever had to tell people is "When I start talking, don't keep moving your token". This is just to clear up the fact that if you're in a dungeon or something and I start talking, it usually means something is happening, and if everyone keeps moving, they'll probably be out of position when I'm trying to describe a trap they triggered before they moved. That's it, outside of that, do what you want, try as close as possible to show where your character is standing at any given point, and don't be disruptive by just ditching the group to do your own thing.
Phnord Prephect said: However, there are times when the party will all suddenly split up, going in all different directions, and revealing too much stuff at once. Is that why last session you put in the cliffs with the 100 foot drop?

Edited 1405986359
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
John: NO META GAMING!!! =D heheheheheeh
John said: Phnord Prephect said: However, there are times when the party will all suddenly split up, going in all different directions, and revealing too much stuff at once. Is that why last session you put in the cliffs with the 100 foot drop? hahaha... No, but I did notice that it didn't stop y'all from walking all over the place anyway!