Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question on Rollable Tables

Is there a way to feed an input (roll) into a rollable table to filter the possible options?  I am wondering whether rollable tables could be used for my Alchemy component gathering system.  Essentially, each environment has a list with an associated DC to find different plants.  For example, in the Grasslands, let's say there are 4 plants that could be found (there are more, but just using this as an example). Grasslands DC10 | Plant A DC10 | Plant B DC15 | Plant C DC20 | Plant D If the Nature Check is <10, don't roll (return nothing found).  If the check is <15, roll for Plant A or Plant B.  If the Nature Check is <20, roll for Plant A, B or C.  And if >=20, roll for Plant A, B, C or D.  Can this be done in a single rollable table (per environment)?    [[1t[Grasslands]]] will roll for Plant A, B, C or D.  This works if the Nature Check is >=20.  But how do I limit the table entries by the Nature Check Roll vs DC?  
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
I'm not sure this can be done in a single table short of API manipulation... but before we can suggest other options, what is your expected usage of this? I would think that your Alchemist character would say, "I need Plant X." And you would say, "Well, you're in the Grasslands, so the chance of finding Plant X in the Grasslands is DC 15. Roll to see if you find it." -- and that you would be looking to short-cut/automate that process. But your above example seems to describe a situation where if I roll well enough to find a DC 15 Plant, I will always and ever find all of the possible DC10 plants in that biome, as well... which doesn't seem right to me, so I want to make sure I understand before I make a suggestion. (Metascripts can easily accomplish the first example, BTW.)

Edited 1626455276
Well, originally, I envisioned the use case is that the Alchemist would hit a button to see what he finds.  He rolls a Nature Check and that determines what he could possibly find that day (can check once per short rest).  So, he rolls for the day and that sets the limits of what he can find.  Then randomly choose something from the table within his search.  If he is looking for Plant B, he might still only find Plant A that day.  Or Plant C if he rolled DC 15 *and* randomly got Plant C from the table.  So, it really takes two rolls to get a specific plant - the Nature check to find something and then the random "what do you actually find that day" check.  We could do this process manually, but was looking for a way to speed up and automate the process to click a button and it give a message like "You don't find anything today".  Or "You searched and found Plant C today" But, now I'm questioning the whole system.  And maybe this makes it too difficult to find the higher DC plants.  Hmm.  I may need to rethink the system before trying to automate it. If it was the other way around, and the Player wanted to select a specific plant to search for, I wouldn't need to use a Rollable Table, right?  Player says I am looking for Plant D, it's just a Nature Check and if they get 20 they find it.  If they don't get a 20, they don't.  Or would this still use a Rollable Table to determine the Yes/No?
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
Yes, you could get away with no table if you wanted to handle it the way you said at the end. However, you could, if you wanted to, generate a biome ad-hoc-style, building it within some range of modifiers/DC, and then let the player roll against that. I'm not sure what the math of your rolls would look like, but let's say the higher a plant's DC, the harder it is to find. In that case, the template for a Grasslands biome might be: PlantA=[[8+1d4 + ?{GM Mod|Verdant,-1d4|Temperate,0|Dry,1d4|Arid,1d4+2|Drought,2d4}]] PlantB=[[9+1d3 + ?{GM Mod}]] PlantC=[[14+1d4 + ?{GM Mod}]] PlantD=[[12+1d6 + ?{GM Mod}]] Then the GM could generate a new verdant grasslands biome for a scene that might look like: PlantA=6 ( 8 + 2 - 4 ) PlantB=9 ( 9 + 1 - 1 ) PlantC=14 ( 14 + 2 - 2 ) PlantD=16 ( 12 + 6 - 2 ) Which could be stored on a mule for the duration of the scene, and the characters could roll against it, using logic to determine if their roll is more/less than what is currently stored in that "current-biome" mule for the plant they need. Or it could be that I'm misunderstanding your system, and this doesn't get you closer to what you're looking for. =D