Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Making other light sources work with field of vision?

How do you make field of vision work with light sources such as torches? For example, my character has 60ft dark vision, so when there is no light source, and with field of vision enabled, I see dim light only in the direction im facing. However, if you introduce a light source, such as a torch, and place it behind me, it allows you to see even if you aren't facing in that direction. It basically ruins the field of vision setting. What would be the fix to this?
Is this from the DM or Player view?
When I set it up as you state and hit ctrl L for as the DM it works where I only see the 90 degrees of the way the token is facing.
Kilter said: Is this from the DM or Player view? players view.
Kilter said: When I set it up as you state and hit ctrl L for as the DM it works where I only see the 90 degrees of the way the token is facing. that works until you introduce a light source, such as a torch or latern. Then it ruins the field of vision and you can see everything new light source lights regardless of direction

Edited 1629134187
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'd suggest sharing a screencap of the token's dynamic lighting settings. My experience is the same as Kilter's whether I'm looking through ctrl-L as GM or rejoining as a player with control of the token. GM View Player view The sun token is emitting dim light. The meenlock token has 30 ft night vision, 20 ft dim red light, and a field of vision of 60deg. EDIT: Something else to consider. Does the player have control of multiple tokens, with one of the other tokens not having limited field of vision?
Scott C. said: I'd suggest sharing a screencap of the token's dynamic lighting settings. My experience is the same as Kilter's whether I'm looking through ctrl-L as GM or rejoining as a player with control of the token. GM View Player view The sun token is emitting dim light. The meenlock token has 30 ft night vision, 20 ft dim red light, and a field of vision of 60deg. EDIT: Something else to consider. Does the player have control of multiple tokens, with one of the other tokens not having limited field of vision? No one token. For example we are running Strahd, and there are no light sources in say this house. But my character has darkvision. So im seeing dim light, only in my field of view. Pitch black behind me. Make it dim light, and I see normal, but only in front me me. Place a torch emiting bright light behind me, I can now see everything behind me as well.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep, even if I set the light emitting token in my game to bright light, it works just as the gifs I posted. You'll need to post a screen grab of your token settings for both the light emitting token and the vision token.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Check to make sure that the torch does not have vision turned on.