Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

API for Plus members

Are there any thoughts on lettings Plus members to use API scripts. $100 year is double the price of a Plus membership. the API that you can use are so convenient and cool but are locked behind a steep paywall. 

Edited 1632629599
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The primary benefit for getting Pro is the API, so I cant see that happening.Can you name any other benefits of Pro? (There are some, but API is the thing people go pay to go Pro for.) What I'd like to see is a different scheme like this: Plus: exactly as now Pro: includes only the pro benefits and none of the plus benefits, cost as PLUS. Ultimate: Plus and Pro combined, cost as current Plus. There could be some rejigging of which one the supplementary benefits belong to (ie being able to rollback, or using the vault), but the main benefit of Plus would be Dynamic Lighting, and Pro would be the API. Because honestly, I dont use dynamic lighting, and am having to pay for that to get the benefit of scripting. I'd like to have plus pricing and be able to choose between scripting and dynamic lighting. For those that use both, the double plus price of current pro would cover it.

Edited 1632632440
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I agree with GiGs' suggestion, but I can afford the annual Pro subscription.  I've been a Pro subscriber since January 2015 just for the API. I use next to nothing of the rest of Plus / Pro because it's irrelevant to a 13th Age or Trail of Cthulhu GM. ;-)  The new Monthly Gift is nice, but I've never used any of them so far. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This sounds like something for the Suggestion forum.
I use plus for the lighting, vault features, and I find myself sharing a compendium from time to time. so i actually use all the features i get.  but id really like to try and use the API and see how i like them to judge if its actually worth upgrading to. I really like your idea for an ultimate member, it'd be nice for the pro members to try out the API' some one them seem like alot of work since you need to learn how to use them. i dont think pro offers enough to pay the same price as a plus membership though. im sure there are people who pay for the Pro membership for the additional upload storage, dev server access and custom sheets but maybe dont use API or any of the other features. 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Check your Private Messages.  
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Cicero L. said: i dont think pro offers enough to pay the same price as a plus membership though. The API alone is easily as valuable as Plus membership, even if you use dynamic lighting a lot. The extra features that are enabled by the API are literally too numerous to list, and the improvement in convenience is honestly staggering - it's like roll20 becomes a completely different service.
Cicero L. said: I use plus for the lighting, vault features, and I find myself sharing a compendium from time to time. so i actually use all the features i get.  but id really like to try and use the API and see how i like them to judge if its actually worth upgrading to. I really like your idea for an ultimate member, it'd be nice for the pro members to try out the API' some one them seem like alot of work since you need to learn how to use them. i dont think pro offers enough to pay the same price as a plus membership though. im sure there are people who pay for the Pro membership for the additional upload storage, dev server access and custom sheets but maybe dont use API or any of the other features.  The transmogrifier alone is worth 10x the cost.  The API is just a throw in bonus.  The ability to drag and drop virtually everything all around your sessions changes the entire dynamic of potential in every live session, you no longer have to store a ton of laggy stuff in one session and instead can store all of your parts in their own sessions and it vastly improves the improv DM's toolset that way too as you can on a whim yoink over a fully made battlemap and fully made sheets/journal entries on the fly.  Even rollable tables.  All with one lil button hidden waaaaay out of the way and easily forgotten.  
I wouldn't run games unless I had pro (which I do). I'm not sure why plus even exists. Not for the price point.  Though perhaps they could allow some essential API to plus members or limit the number they can have and only from the one click install. That would make sense. Though if running a game that is super supported that may make it more appealing. But my game isn't supported unless I custom build stuff for it. I often have to adapt and rewrite api as it is. It's a 5E world, I'm just living in it.
Now that the API works, mostly, I think the price is reasonable. I use everything, wouldn't bother with Roll 20 without the API, and yes the Transmogrifier is the best value, I run two games and can just slide stuff from one to the other, recreating everything would be a lot more work.
honestly, im glad to hear all this feedback about the API/Pro sub i was worried it wouldnt be worth the upgrade. Reading all of this makes me feel alot better when thinking about the upgrade 100 is still a steep price, but i guess for all of the features and wonders of API' i guess its worth it to everyone. Thanks for the feedback folks
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can always buy it for 1 month, and try it out, and go yearly from the month after.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Warning: You'll probably never want to go back...
Transmogrifier is such an amazing feature and they just do not sell it well at all, its even in the weirdest most out of the way spot in the session interface too.  It is the improv DM's best friend and you absolutely need to incorporate it into how you DM cause it IS why I have pro.  
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Transmogrifier is the reason I originally went pro. =D  API was something I started playing with afterwards... 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Back to the original question. I believe the team covered this in a Round Up some time ago. IIRC, according to market research, cafeteria plans, or larger numbers of choices actually tend to discourage subscription. Although it's possible somethings might move around between tiers (Table on Tablet became free for all users, for example), I don't think we'll be seeing any completely new tiers anytime soon.
keithcurtis said: Warning: You'll probably never want to go back... This is the truth.. The features are worth it once you start playing with them.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I wonder how many more subscribers roll20 would get if they had a one month free trial period.
They'd have alot more if only pro users could share sessions or sharing sessions no longer was an option.  So many discord communities out there clogging up our bandwidth with free users sharing the same plus sessions.  Ofcourse a thousand discord communities are going to curse this comment and shame me for pointing at the elephant in the room, but hey, I really am sick of the lag on friday/saturday nights from all those free shared sessions running on the bandwidth alongside my game.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, that would be pretty hard to police. I share games with the other DMs in my group, but we rotate duties. they are never used concurrently.