Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

An option to lock or freeze any token, tile, or map piece.

anthanum (CMcC) said: It is so frustrating when you've set up the dynamic lighting layer, then go to background to add just one more static feature such as a tree or table, and end up grabbing the map rather than the tree and shifting it out of place. This lock button idea is a must. +1 to the vote on this ... but I do this a LOT and  CTRL-Z   to undo puts the map back where it was ... just for the clumsy out there like me   :)
+1 This would be great.
+1000.  This should be standard functionality.   Pull your finger out R20!
+1
+1
+1 do it
+1
+1
+1
I'd love for this to become a standardized feature! Maybe you could work with the developer of the API version to implement it as an official feature? Either way I'm here for it. +1
+1
+1
+1
Once again, Pro users already have access to this functionality through the MapLock and/or TokenLock API scripts. I definitely understand why Plus users would want it, though.
API scripts are not enough. this is a *basic* feature that should be accessable to any kind of user. so +1.
+1
I'm sure that this is harder to implement than it sounds, but I'm equally sure that this is a feature that should've been here from the start. +1.
+1
+1 Still relevant?
+1 please make this happen
+1 - Mentioned this in a bug report because, well, when developing or prepping a game, this can be can add unnecessary frustrations.  My quote " Would really love an additional map layer to keep the map safe from other items that GMs want to place outside player's grasp. When moving lights back and forth from map, it is TOO easy to accidentally move the map to the GM layer, leaving the players suddenly in a "Grey Featureless Plain". They panicked that they might have accidentally set fire to a Bag of Holding while jumping over my pretty pulsing flames." In an age of Real World anxieties, I would love prefer to focus on the sky falling rather than the world dropping out from under me.  "One more season wish: Would love some 'Layer Buttons' on the right side of the Zoom Bar allowing GMs to transfer between layers easily (and illuminated to show clearly which you are on) instead of having to navigate the left menu bar or fat-fingering Advanced Keyboard Shortcuts while trying to spare an innocent band of goblins from their vicious cave invaders."
+1 I always accidentally move things that shouldn't move!
+1 This would be immensely helpful! Please create a second map layer, a GM-specific token layer, or implement the ability to lock tokens or graphics in place within layers so that players and GMs don't accidentally move, resize, or delete something. I have MapLock, but maybe I'm using it wrong or something... I still move things around that I don't mean to when I'm creating maps. It's really quite frustrating and time-consuming!
Larissa Bee said: +1 This would be immensely helpful! Please create a second map layer, a GM-specific token layer, or implement the ability to lock tokens or graphics in place within layers so that players and GMs don't accidentally move, resize, or delete something. I have MapLock, but maybe I'm using it wrong or something... I still move things around that I don't mean to when I'm creating maps. It's really quite frustrating and time-consuming! As a Pro user, you should be able to use the MapLock API script to lock any token or graphic in place. !map-lock toggle (this locks or unlocks any selected token or graphic) !map-lock toggle-highlight (this highlights any locked element on the map in red)
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I think in one of the Roll20Con streams, it was mentioned this was an upcoming feature.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Andreas J. said: I think in one of the Roll20Con streams, it was mentioned this was an upcoming feature. That would be fantastic. It would be nice if they took 30 seconds to acknowledge that this post exists and tag it accordingly.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm a pro user, and I would like to see it happen, with a way to lock-unlock through API. The current work-around for API consists in monitoring all movements and revert the unauthorized ones. This is quite a strain on the API sandbox, and has caused issues for my players.
This is now on Dev! You can lock tokens or assets on the map layer. Read the full release notes .

Edited 1644840737
Bianca said: This is now on Dev! You can lock tokens or assets on the map layer. Read the full release notes . I can't follow that broken hyperlink. Anyway, having looked at my test game on the Dev Server, this new feature seems to work as advertised. One nice little addition I've noticed: the ruler button icon is more obvious that's it's ruler now. I've been many games where I've had to talk new GMs through where to find the ruler button because the "ruler in the circle" icon is not obvious. Maybe in making it look more ruler-like, this might reduce some confusion.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We released the Token Lock feature today with Pro API support. Release notes have more details . I'm closing this suggestion to give votes back. Have fun with all the stationary tokens!