Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

A GM-only popup that simply says: "Your API sandbox has crashed"

Score + 92
The API scripts are a big part of why I pay for the Pro subscription, but I cannot trust my collection of scripts if I don't get a notification as soon as they go down in the middle of a roleplaying session :-( UPDATE : &nbsp;Since roll20 will probably take at least a year to implement this fix; anyone who is interested in a temporary solution until then, can check out this thread, where two geniuses, The Aaron and Kurt J., created one for me on the spot (it's two scripts that work together brilliantly). <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10433120/could-someone-create-this-teeeeeensy-api-script-for-me/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10433120/could-someone-create-this-teeeeeensy-api-script-for-me/</a>
I am quite in favor of this for the stated reason

Edited 1633983929
+1
I would love this.&nbsp; I was using The Aaron's API Heartbeat for quite a while, but I realized that after prolonged use it would cause slowdown in the game.&nbsp; Since then I open up the game's API page in a separate window, and shrink it down and put it in the corner of my screen so I'll see right away if the pink error message pops up.&nbsp; Unfortunately there are still times when the API has 'silent' crashes that aren't logged in the API Output window, and I'll have to reboot the API without any indication on the API Output window.
Thanks for your kind words, guys :-) One thing, though... I think that one of us may have forgotten to press the "upvote-arrow" button... because right now, the score is only +3, but it should be +4, given that there are four of us... ... just trying to make sure that we get to the +10 mark before the&nbsp; suggestion-time-limit runs out :-)
+1 Yap, makes sense, absolutely. It happened to me a couple of times that had to wonder why an API wasn't doing what was expected to do, and had to answer some "funny"&nbsp; questions about this awesome API integration .... was not funny. Now am always checking sandbox more frequently for any nasty looking messages, and sometimes I just do a API restart... just in case. Not really a professional approach.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I'm in favor. =D Jarren said: I would love this.&nbsp; I was using The Aaron's API Heartbeat for quite a while, but I realized that after prolonged use it would cause slowdown in the game.&nbsp; Since then I open up the game's API page in a separate window, and shrink it down and put it in the corner of my screen so I'll see right away if the pink error message pops up.&nbsp; Unfortunately there are still times when the API has 'silent' crashes that aren't logged in the API Output window, and I'll have to reboot the API without any indication on the API Output window. I have a complete rewrite of API Heartbeat that I need to put the final touches on, maybe you could test it for me...?&nbsp;&nbsp;
Kurt J.
Pro
API Scripter
Sounds like a good idea to me :)
+1, would be incredibly useful!
You can actually detect the silent restarts if you have specific api's running that ping on restarts, like Teleport API, MOTD api, and Wildshape API.&nbsp; Cause they all whisper you a message when they spin up again.&nbsp;&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I had a vote lying around.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Looks like the 10 is there.&nbsp; Now there is just the long slog to 200...&nbsp;
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This would be very handy.

Edited 1634026325
Ronnie McDurgen said: .... ... just trying to make sure that we get to the +10 mark before the&nbsp; suggestion-time-limit runs out :-) community task: done ;)
UPDATE : Since roll20 will probably take at least a year to implement this fix; anyone who is interested in a temporary solution until then, can check out this thread, where two geniuses, The Aaron and Kurt J., created one for me on the spot (it's two scripts that work together brilliantly). <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10433120/could-someone-create-this-teeeeeensy-api-script-for-me/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10433120/could-someone-create-this-teeeeeensy-api-script-for-me/</a>
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
+1 At the risk of scope creep, it would also be handy to have "Restart Sandbox" capability from within the VTT browser window after the notification was sent.
The Aaron said: I have a complete rewrite of API Heartbeat that I need to put the final touches on, maybe you could test it for me...?&nbsp;&nbsp; Absolutely!
+1
+1
+1
+1
I am not on pro obviously, but wouldnt it make more sense to fix the issue rather then have a message that says its down? This suggestion implys that the API is often broken.&nbsp; Am I missing something?
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Fluffanutter, api scripts are written by the community and are subject to bugs, incomplete error handling, unanticipated circumstances, and conflicts with each other. Many of us (including myself) are not formally trained s/w developers. It *usually* isn't a Roll20 infrastructure problem.&nbsp;
Thanks for the reply David, that makes more sense now and this sounds like a good suggestion.
+1
+1 Requested this months ago. APIs are a BIG part of the game these days and among the main reasons to have a Pro account. I have gotten to the point now where I keep a separate web tab open to the API page so that when it blows out (not infrequent as things get updated), I can immediately punt the thing back into action. Having to stop and open a page load just to restart this AND always wondering if it has blown out when things go awry seems silly. If you make it a colored hammer icon that flashes red when it bails that I can mouse mash ... PERKS! ;)
Jiboux
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
+1
+1
+1

Edited 1678486447
Indeed, API scripts are still a big help for my campaigns, but prefer build-in features assuming they run more smoothly and better supported by the roll20 team :)&nbsp; A pop-up window with a Refresh/Restart option for the API sandbox included flashing would be really handy :D &nbsp;
I've been using API HeartBeat to monitor the sandbox status, but having a way to restart the sandbox from within the game would be great. I really don't like having to keep another instance of Roll20 running in a separate tab just to facilitate that.
+1 For a PRO account subscriber, APIs are essential but frequently crash and are an ongoing frustration. A fast reboot option would be v useful.&nbsp; ideally some of the core APIs would be incorporated into Roll20 to hopefully stabilise the platform.
+1 on this also, but as the TO predicted a year has passed and it was not implemented up until now, which shows their priorities... the Magnificent DM said: +1 For a PRO account subscriber, APIs are essential but frequently crash and are an ongoing frustration. A fast reboot option would be v useful.&nbsp; ideally some of the core APIs would be incorporated into Roll20 to hopefully stabilise the platform.
I voted for this a while ago, but I want to chime in on the fast-reboot idea.&nbsp; How about a pop-up with a button, eg. "Your API sandbox has crashed, do you want to restart it?". If I'm debugging, sure, I'll want to open the window and look at the traceback.&nbsp; But if I'm mid-game, I just want to get back to the action as quickly as possible.