Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Duplicate "Copy of XXXX" and edited versions thereof not dragging from Journal onto Map. Original Tokens come across fine.

Smarter people than me, I am currently setting up a few encounters with named NPCs, so to make my life easier, since some are the same base of NPC (such as Bandit) I have duplicated the base NPC once adding it to the journal, then renamed both the Token & NPC Name on the NPC Character sheet, and changed the token image to fit the NPC. I have not been able to drag either the original duplicate created in the journal, nor edited NPCs onto the map. I did go through the process step by step, made a new duplicate from a newly compendium dropped NPC and the same thing happened. I would rather not have 7 bandits and have to try to track their names and faces across the encounter, but use the custom ones. The original bandit bought into the journal from the compendium still works fine. (and I am dragging by the name, not the hamburger) Any help would be great. Thanks.
You do not need to link the hp bar to the sheet.  Set the bars to unlinked and then you can drag out a bajillion bandits and they will not have linked hitpoint bars.  Change the default token to be unlinked.  Then, since you are pro, install MonsterHitDice API and run that in the session, everytime you drag out an npc sheet token that has no bar 1(or 3 if you are one of those kinda DM's) linked it will auto set the hp equation in that bar.  If you want to name your bandits individually, theres not much point to that as only YOU see those bandits names or rather only you SHOULD see them as the players haven't developed a conversation and intel with enemies to know what their names are usually, and even if they are there is a tokenmod macro you can run to reveal npc names to the players very easily.  You really shouldn't make a ton of unnecessary sheets in your journal, if they are all identical just make custom tokens for unique instances of them.  I only have 1 commoner sheet but I have a tokenmod inspired macro that will randomize the portrait and name and notes for said commoner on demand.   !token-mod --flip showplayers_name
Thanks Eddie, the issue is that the Bandit is the base for a number of named NPCs that are the crew on the PCs boat, that they will be interacting with on a regular basis, hence the preference for different tokens and names instead of the generic Bandit token from the MM.  Never had an issue with doing this in other games in the past, and has nothing to do with linked HP or anything like that.  I do use the token mod command when needed.
After further playing and investigation with the NPC sheets, I believe I have found the issue.  When replacing the MM NPC Avatar, it does not automatically use the new Avatar as the Token by default, as there appears to be a placeholder or redirect of some description that links back to the original image, but not to the new Avatar/Avatar on character copy, most likely due to the name change. Deleting the blank token image allows the NPC to be dragged onto the map. Might be a bug that needs to be looked?
You could use a rollable table token for all the crew members images and change the name on the fly, or you could clutter up your journal with a ton of identical sheets other then one field.  You can also employ a very common strategy of taking all of your custom tokens and placing them on a storage page to copy onto any map you need, its used alot for common unique npcs.  Most adventure modules use this.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Until you save a token as default token, the app will always draw out the last saved default. There is no "backward link". If you pull out a default bandit, change the name and token image, the next bandit you pull out will always be the default. If you save the edited token as a default, that will become the new default. Here's what I think you are running into: When you duplicate the character sheet, say Changing "Bandit" to "Evil Steve", the saved default token does not change. It is still a token that has been saved to be the default token that points to "Bandit". You need to make the sheet changes, and then as the very last step , set up a default token that points to the new character.