Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

REDUX - I can't open a Handout or Character sheet once I close it

I see this complaint in a number of bug reports (when I Google the question) and I wonder when it will be corrected. We played last night - Twilight 2000 4ed - and the players can only open the handouts once and then need to reload. The same occurs with their character sheets. What is the resolution here? And like I have read in the other posts - use another browser or just push F5 to refresh is not the answer. I am happy to pay for the Roll20 service, but this has been going on for years. Browser: Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit) Add Ons/Extensions: Adobe reader, Google drive, Dropbox, Beyond20, VTT Enhancement suite 1.25.7_Chrome OS: Windows 10 TRIAGE Results: Step 1: I am using Chrome. Step 2:  Done. Same results. Step 1:  Done. Same results. Your Bug reporting instructions say to attach a file. I am not seeing that option, but I have the pic of the situation. Still, it is hard to display this problem in a still picture. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi DJ, This sort of problem is better handled by a  Help Center Request , which will generate a ticket automatically. However, you might be able to work around the problem in the meantime. Set your handouts and sheets not to open in separate windows (this setting is in the in-game settings tab), and you may be able to restore the ability to open them more than once per session.
Hello Keith, I saw that as an option. It does not work. But thanks.
Hey Keith, That reply reads a little snarky - it was not intended to be so. I was working on something else when I saw your post and I needed to do a quick reply. Looking back on it, it seemed curt so I apologize for that. BTW Roll20 -  this is not just with one of my games (i.e. the one we played last night). I have a D&D5e game going, Star Wars, Call of Cthulhu, Alien, and more - and this is a common challenge in every one of these games. It has been mentioned all the way back to 2018 when you Google search the issue, maybe even longer but I try to find the most relevant posts to see if there is a current solution. None has been given. Thanks!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I know it used to be when you popped a sheet out on Chrome that this problem came up.  I am generally a Firefox user, but I have Chrome installed for checking things like this.  I can't duplicate your issue at the moment.  I can pop out sheets, close them, and open them right back up with no problem.  Your best bet is making sure your ticket has the console logs, because it apparently isn't something that is affecting all Chrome users.  I can't get it to affect me anyway.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
DJ said: Hey Keith, That reply reads a little snarky - it was not intended to be so. I was working on something else when I saw your post and I needed to do a quick reply. Looking back on it, it seemed curt so I apologize for that. No worries. I didn't read it as snarky, but it's heartening when folks consider how their words are received. Not every does that. That's cool. Your triage results are a little unclear (ex: You list step 1 twice, and the standard troubleshooting has 4 steps) The fourth step is filing a  Help Center Request . That form has a button to optionally upload a file. For Step 1, did you try Firefox? Not trying to suggest you switch browsers, but a test can help pinpoint where the problem is arising from. For step 2, a quick way to check is to load in a private browsing window. Unless you have specifically whitelisted some extensions for that, it should remove extensions as a likely culprit. Step 3 is less likely, if all your players are experiencing the same issues. I recently had an issue that required not only manually clearing my entire cache, but removing all Roll20 cookies. You might discover something by a more powerful approach here. FWIW, I cannot duplicate your issue personally, without popping the handout into an external window. Once popped out, it refuses to re-open in Chrome. I do not have a problem reopening a non-popped out handout in Chrome, or any issue at all in Firefox.

Edited 1637872807
David
Sheet Author
DJ said: I see this complaint in a number of bug reports (when I Google the question) and I wonder when it will be corrected. We played last night - Twilight 2000 4ed - and the players can only open the handouts once and then need to reload. The same occurs with their character sheets. What is the resolution here? And like I have read in the other posts - use another browser or just push F5 to refresh is not the answer. I am happy to pay for the Roll20 service, but this has been going on for years. Browser: Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit) Add Ons/Extensions: Adobe reader, Google drive, Dropbox, Beyond20, VTT Enhancement suite 1.25.7_Chrome OS: Windows 10 TRIAGE Results: Step 1: I am using Chrome. Step 2:&nbsp; Done. Same results. Step 1:&nbsp; Done. Same results. Your Bug reporting instructions say to attach a file. I am not seeing that option, but I have the pic of the situation. Still, it is hard to display this problem in a still picture.&nbsp; Were the handouts popped out ? If so this has been reported multiple occasions&nbsp; for some time with no real response.&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9273856/i-cant-open-again-a-handout-once-i-close-it" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9273856/i-cant-open-again-a-handout-once-i-close-it</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10058220/handouts-issue/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10058220/handouts-issue/</a> There is NO away around by changing ANYHTING in settings especially if you have popped them out&nbsp; manually,&nbsp; The only thing you can do is refresh the page.