Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 becomes slow quickly

I tried it on two different browsers, Chrome and Opera(not compatible, I know, but it was ok in the past) and for a couple of days, Roll20 is extremely slow. I'm uploading stuff in a game, and the menu scrolls slowly after a couple of minutes of being online. If I reconnect, it's ok, but it's pretty annoying. Any ideas? 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I heard it is usually due to it loading the items you have in the game into the cache. Once it is loaded to where the computer can get info faster, Roll20 runs faster.
I'm having similar issues. Is this a hardware problem? Do I not have the computing power to handle the massive number of handouts, PCs, NPCs, etc that I have uploaded/created? Is there a browser that Roll20 runs best on?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There are browsers that are supported, which may not necessarily give you the best performance. Chrome and Firefox are supported. One of my friends combats lag by using Edge. You might want to experiment. Lag is usually due to hugely bloated games (many character sheets with lots of spells). Number of handouts is not usually an issue. As a Pro user, you can dramatically decrease your game's overhead through the use of a  Library Campaign . Another factor can be very complicated Dynamic Lighting setups. Use fewer points and keep curves to a minimum. Some folks report lag with Explorer mode. If this latter is your issue, you might want to experiment with  Light Crumbs . Hardware is probably not a big issue. I can run my game with a Chromebook (though it can take a while to load, and I have never tried to actually run a live experience with multiple users attached on it.)

Edited 1639612516
What "stuff" are you uploading? Are you trying to use animated things? Are the images 14mb uncompressed pngs? What you use and upload can make a big difference.  Explorer mode can also kill even the most optimized game (optimized means using images with small filesizes), so if you've been experimenting with it, turn it off at the first opportunity, it's useless on all but the smallest of maps (which essentially means it's useless in general).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It also works much better if you don't tint light or vision.
For precision, It is a new game I created, so it's kinda fresh at the moment. I'm uploading images in handout and character sheets. There's no dynamic lighting, for now, no maps, just a couple of handouts. 8 folders, with a couple of folders and around 20 handouts/characters. I had games with hundreds and hundreds, so it shouldn't do that, especially at that level. 
Well I disabled Explorer Mode on every page. I checked all my uploaded pictures, and none of them exceed 4mb (the ones that even come close are for the map). My Dynamic Lighting is suuuuuper simple. I have three boulders that block LoS. I have a 90 degree L on the Lighting layer for each (so not a circle or a curve). I double checked every token that has vision (PCs and NPCs) or makes light (torches, etc) and made sure none of them used a tint. It made absolutely ZERO impact on my lag. My map I am testing this on is 21 by 29. It has 6 PCs, 6 Mounts, 3 NPCs controlled by the players, and 9 NPCs controlled by the DM on it (all tokens linked to a Character Sheet). When I grab and hold a token, the lag is visibly evident as I drag the token around on screen with a constant stuttering from place to place. It takes a full 2 seconds to click on a token and have the info wheel pop up around it. Similar time to right click and bring up the token menu. It takes a full 5 seconds to Alt + Double click to bring up the PC/NPC character sheet. Trying all this again on a separate map, a little smaller (24 by 24) with 6 PCs, 10 NPCs, and a dozen tokens (without a linked Character Sheet) on the GM layer to be used as destructible environment, the lag is present but lessened. Is the takeaway here that Roll20 can't handle 24 PCs/NPCs on the same map? Because that seems very low...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
No, Roll20 can handle it, because other folks are not universally having this sort of lag. I'm not experiencing it, for example. There must be some other factors. Here are some other things to try. 1) Running in a private browsing window (to eliminate most extension conflict possibilities. Make sure than none are set to run in a private window) 2) Turn off autofill and autocomplete on your browser (might help with the bringing up with the sheets) 3) Toggling hardware acceleration in your browser. 4) Turning off vision for GM-only NPCs. 5) Trying a different browser 6) Deleting cookies and cache Also, do all of the lag problems go away the moment you turn off DL?
I started going down your list of possible solutions one by one...none of them worked. I get to the bottom, go to my normal browser (Chrome) open the game, turn off Dynamic Lighting for that map aaaannnd it's fine. 100% removed the lag. I don't understand.
I've been having the same issue, the lag is from a MASSIVE CPU spike when dynamic lighting is on and the map is interacted with at all. It started a week ago and is present for me in all forms of lighting (including legacy mode).  If lighting is on and there are no tokens on the map it's fine, the moment you add tokens with sight everything goes to hell.
You can see it happening on my twitch streams. The most recent one (Tuesday the 14th) shows me struggling with the issue on a relatively small map with few lines. 3 tokens with sight, just fine. Moment I added a 4th token it blows up CPU processing.

Edited 1639695433
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If this is a recent change in the behavior that you are seeing, then the devs would benefit from seeing a Console Log ( Chrome ,  Firefox ) in a  Help Center Request . With that data, they might be able to track down what is causing your issue. Shivalry, I'd like to verify that I am not seeing what you are seeing. I'll try a similar set up. When you are seeing the lag, are you the only person in the game at the time, and are you logged in as a GM or Player? Rough Patch, do you have a link and time stamp to the problem on Twitch? That might also help devs to see nature of the performance hit you are taking.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
One more thing to try, turn on "Update token on drop" if it is not already on. I have six sighted tokens on a 50 x 50 map with lots of walls and doors. I am not experiencing any lag (Mac, Chrome). I did run into an issue of the torch tool light sources failing unless I set them manually. that's not good. However, performance is zippy, even with a double log-in (GM and a  Dummy Account  in a separate window). If you want to invite me to your game to see if I can find any cause, or if I also experience lag in them, I'd be happy to try.

Edited 1639702062
The lag occurred during my last game and every day since. At the time, seven people (including myself) were logged in. Today, it was just me. I am the GM. I am going to work on gathering a Chrome Console Log and submitting it. Edit: Update token on drop was enabled to prevent my players from sneaking peeks :P         Trying it on a different page with a different map yields the same results: turning off the Dynamic Lightning completely eliminates the lag.
I have now also tried and replicated the lag on Opera and Firefox, both of which were clean installs with no caches, cookies, extensions, or addons. Turning Dynamic Lighting on brings the lag to near-unbearable levels. Turning Dynamic Lighting off   removes the lag entirely.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I know I keep coming up with "One More Thing", but here's one more thing. Try creating a brand new game. Slap down a map and some sighted tokens and throw in a few DL lines. It might rule out a corruption problem in your current game.
The lag is lessened with only one token with vision on the board, but it's still there. Turning off Dynamic Lighting once again completely removes it. sigh
What I understand is that Roll20 seems to be unable to be reliable, stable and do what it's supposed to do. There's no reason it'S slow on a game with no maps, no dynamic lighting and less than 50 handouts/character sheets. They offer dynamic lighting and it causes problems, as not even having it is a problem. Starting to consider moving to another platform. 
Some weird new information: With Dynamic Lighting ON, I click on a PC token and Ctrl+L to get that specific players POV, and the lag almost completely disappears... Clicking off the token, back to the "GM POV", brings the lag back to full strength. I don't know if that helps or how, ha ha ha

Edited 1639772382
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
And you tried: 4) Turning off vision for GM-only NPCs? The GM-only PCs, do you have yourself as a specified controller, or just blank? How about the PCs—just their name on the controller list, or yours as well? I ask, partly to give you things to try, and partly so I can see if I can duplicate the lag. I would love to know what the trigger is. (I'm sure a lot of people would).
Shivalry, When you set up the dynamic lighting, did you use lines or did you draw in the DL lines using freehand?  Freehand lines are a series of interconnected dots, so Roll20 has a lot more calculations to perform.
GM only NPCs have their Token's Vision OFF. GM only NPCs have no set "Controller/Editor". It is blank. PCs have only the one single player marked as "Controller/Editor". When I put in Dynamic Lighting, I use the Draw Shape: Square, Circle, and Polygon/Line tools. For kicks, I deleted every single Square, Circle, Polygon, and Line on the Dynamic Lighting Layer, and it had no observable effect on the lag. Once again, turning off Dynamic Lighting for the page/map COMPLETELY 100% removes the lag.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That sucks. I'm running low on ideas. What is the setting on your browser's Hardware Acceleration? Do you have a separate GPU? Also, you are not mixing any features from Legacy Dynamic Lighting?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You had the same issue when trying a brand new game? Also, I would be happy to look for myself. If you invite me to the game as a GM, and I can try on my end. If the delay continues, it's likely something in the game itself, or something Roll20 might be able to address. If I can't duplicate the delay, then it is likely a hardware or software issue specific to your setup.
I use Chrome. Hardware Acceleration is ON currently, though I have tried it toggled OFF and it had no observable effect on the lag. I do not have a separate GPU. I am playing on an Acer Aspire 5 laptop. It has an integrated Intel UHD Graphics  display adapter. Earlier in the thread, I asked if it was simply the limitations of the hardware I was using, and someone said they ran Roll20 on a Chromebook. I am not now, nor have I ever used Legacy Lighting. I just confirmed for the hell of it that all Legacy Lighting settings are disabled. As I detailed in an earlier post, I created a brand new game with an empty Journal. I made one  map, created one NPC from the Compendium, set down one  token, turned on Dynamic Lighting, and the lag was there. Lessened, but still noticeably and observably there. I sent you an invite to the game in question.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks, There was a lot of back and forth suggestions and another user chiming in, so I probably lost track of what had been tried. I was the one who said I have used it on a Chromebook (though never in actual game play).