Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Moving Journals

Is there any efficient way to move journals?  A way to maybe toggle select a bunch and move them all into a new category or something? I don't care if its an API or a 3rd party thing.  Moving them one at a time with the insane lag in my R20 campaign is a recipe for madness.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Unfortunately, the API does not have access to the folder structure in the Journal Tab. Otherwise an API/Pro solution would be great. The only thing I can think of is to move them into nearby subfolder, and move that subfolder to where you need it. The best advice (and far too late) is to put them into the folders then need to be in as you create them.

Edited 1640033349
keithcurtis said: Unfortunately, the API does not have access to the folder structure in the Journal Tab. Otherwise an API/Pro solution would be great. The only thing I can think of is to move them into nearby subfolder, and move that subfolder to where you need it. The best advice (and far too late) is to put them into the folders then need to be in as you create them. The way I uploaded the journals didn't have a method for putting them into folders.  If it did, I would 100% do that as it would take less time to delete the campaign and upload journals into the right folders than it is going to take for me to manually sort them by dragging, dropping, waiting a few seconds for R20 to evaluate it's life and position in the universe, and then repeat.  For 2300 journals. Edit: I appreciate the quick reply.  If anyone has any other solutions or thoughts (or a way to upload things directly into folders) that would be amazing.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Let's step back a minute. There might be other solutions. Although Journals (as opposed to character sheets) have very little impact on performance, 2300 is still a huge number, and would almost certainly reduce performance, depending on the amount and type of data they hold. What method did you use to upload the journals? Are they pdf pages, or text copy and paste? Are they elsewhere online? A hyperlink method might be a much easier solution.
keithcurtis said: Let's step back a minute. There might be other solutions. Although Journals (as opposed to character sheets) have very little impact on performance, 2300 is still a huge number, and would almost certainly reduce performance, depending on the amount and type of data they hold. What method did you use to upload the journals? Are they pdf pages, or text copy and paste? Are they elsewhere online? A hyperlink method might be a much easier solution. I used the BTT enhancement Suite to upload the journals. They are adjustable templates with all the monster abilities built in.  The template part is important.  All I need to do is make a token for the monster, set that as the token and then I'm pretty good to go.  Its for a D&D4e campaign, so having the entire updated monster manual makes running things way easier. Not really available online elsewhere really.  Even if it was available somewhere else, the hyperlink wouldn't have the functionality of being able to use the template to adjust monster level (The templates have a built in way to auto-adjust any monster to any level) and wouldn't allow them to be used to roll in R20 and use their abilities like PCs.
My current plan is to have a 'storage campaign' with all the journals in it.  It will make that campaign laggy, but its used to basically hold all the templates and have them sorted.  Then, when I want to use one, upload a token, attach that token to the monster, export it out and import it into the campaign where I am actually running stuff so R20 doesn't have a stroke and I have access to the full monster manual in a usable form.
Why is it showing that my posts have been deleted by a moderator?  What did I say?

Edited 1640042741
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Hey folks, dropping a line here as some mod action was necessary. Edit: Removed posts have been restored following clarification on the matter. Apologies for the inconvenience! That said, game data management is a personal challenge of my own within my homebrew worlds. Gary, you mentioned the storage campaign and that was going to be exactly my suggestion. What I do is create a set of "storage games" each intended for a separate purpose: Character Storage: This is for homebrew Monsters/NPCs as well as characters I made or my players have made Map Storage: I make a bunch of pre-made random encounters or just work on my maps in this game. Handout storage: This game is chock full of various items (magical and mundane) as well as special rules and notes I use between games I then use these games with the Transmogrifier tool to move things in and out of my games as needed so I can keep my active game as trim and tidy as possible. This helps a lot since some of the players don't have great PCs or laptops. When I need to pull in something, I just grab a pre-made map or monster from my storage games and I can get going within the time it takes my pal's rogue to fall down the pit again. The transmogrifier tool is a Pro feature, so I hope you forgive the upsell-- this is just the method I personally use to manage my games :)

Edited 1640043099
I'm not sure why me uploading a ton of custom and updated monsters got moderated but ok. And there is no way to sort any of the journals in the storage campaign?  Its just going to be manually drag and drop? Edit: Thank you Mod team for reversing the moderation.  It is appreciated.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I have several Library Game and I keep them organized in folders that depend on the game system. For example, my 13th Age games are organized by level with folders like 00—0th Level through 15—15th Level . My RuneQuest: Glorantha games and Trail of Cthulhu games are organized differently.