Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The all-seeing player!

Hi all, In a couple of sessions now with different modules and maps, I have had one player (the same player in both games) who ends up seeing the entire map, even if it's hidden, like on a different layer, but he can see it all. Not the hidden tokens or anything like that, but even with dynamic lighting in place, parts of the map in the GM layer, he can just see it. He's great, though, he lets me know, & even with spoilers being very much present, he doesn't let it ruin his enjoyment of the game or tell others. He just alerts me to the fact. None of the other players have this "problem". He does like to move his token about a lot, not annoyingly so, yet maybe there's something in that, finding a glitch (a gap in the map!)... not sure. Last session, when he notified me, I deleted his token and removed his character from the game, brought them back in, & the map was reset for him. But! has anyone else encountered this? It's quite a strange one, & I keep browsing over the map & all the settings to no avail.  Any help/advice/recommendations is greatly appreciated!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have seen it reported, and experienced it once on LDL. It might be helpful for that player to capture a Console Log ( Chrome ,  Firefox ) the next time it happens and submit it in a  Help Center Request . I'm sure the dev team could use the data.
Thank you, Keith. I have shared this with the player in question. Q: What is a Console Log ?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The links display the instructions and definition, but basically: The console log is a collection of messages/alerts/errors/etc. that are stored by your browser when you access and use Roll20. This collection of logged information allows us to discern issues that are occurring on your end as a user and best help you troubleshoot them.
Thank you!
Its an adblocker or some other security related or nefarious extension interacting with webgl.  It should only ever show up with UDL as LDL does not trigger any of these extensions because in LDL the vision memory is only in AFOW.  The next time that player jumps into the session and it uses the cookie to get the characters saved vision history in the session its going to pop and show him the map again fyi.  They need to add roll20 to the whitelist or clean out their extensions.  
Does turning off the add blocker solve the problem ??
We actually haven't had a recurring problem since, so looking good.
my players swears he turned off ad blocker yet still has this issue. The work around is to use firefox however this increases the lag for him.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Khruc said: my players swears he turned off ad blocker yet still has this issue. The work around is to use firefox however this increases the lag for him. It probably isn't an adblocker.  In my experience, this would be something like NoScript, or another script blocking addon.  I discovered that first with NoScript and LDL. Not saying that an adblocker can't interfere, but I haven't experienced that personally.
Kraynic said: Khruc said: my players swears he turned off ad blocker yet still has this issue. The work around is to use firefox however this increases the lag for him. It probably isn't an adblocker.  In my experience, this would be something like NoScript, or another script blocking addon.  I discovered that first with NoScript and LDL. Not saying that an adblocker can't interfere, but I haven't experienced that personally. Any idea what script?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Nope, it has been a while since I last messed with NoScript permissions for Roll20, but if you are blocking anything beyond google-analytics (while in a game), you are going to be interfering with some aspect of the vtt as far as I remember.
Just played with another group of 3 players. Only kept having the issue. He tried Firefox, Edge and Chrome and still the same problem. Only one of them has this issue and its really annoying. Can a dev chime in on this?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Another very quick test you could have them do is to see if they get the spinning box on this site:&nbsp; <a href="https://get.webgl.org/" rel="nofollow">https://get.webgl.org/</a> UDL is using webgl, and enabling/disabling that is a browser setting.&nbsp; Double checking that hardware acceleration is another thing to check to be sure it is enabled in the browser. Otherwise, that player should go through the steps to submit a report that is linked in the second post of this thread.
Kraynic said: Another very quick test you could have them do is to see if they get the spinning box on this site:&nbsp; <a href="https://get.webgl.org/" rel="nofollow">https://get.webgl.org/</a> UDL is using webgl, and enabling/disabling that is a browser setting.&nbsp; Double checking that hardware acceleration is another thing to check to be sure it is enabled in the browser. Otherwise, that player should go through the steps to submit a report that is linked in the second post of this thread. He sees the Cube... sigh...
I run AD&amp;D 1e games and i do not use any API scripts.&nbsp;&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Khruc said: Just played with another group of 3 players. Only kept having the issue. He tried Firefox, Edge and Chrome and still the same problem. Only one of them has this issue and its really annoying. Can a dev chime in on this? Did you and your player verify that Hardware Acceleration is toggled on on their browser? Does your player have the issue while using a private browsing window? If you need a dev response, the best bet is to gather a Console Log ( Chrome ,&nbsp; Firefox ) and file a&nbsp; Help Center Request . The forums are primarily community support. The HC Request will create a ticket.
My players have tried all the steps mentioned above and can still the map. They are resolved to keep hitting f5 each time this happens and keeping the screen zoomed in. I sent a ticket to Roll20 last week with no response to date.
Ticket # 83418 sent on March 9 -- still no response. Ticket # 83991 sent March 15 -- If they cant help me...not sure what else to do.
Hi there Khruc, Thank you for providing the ticket ID #s and sorry for the delays! I was able to find your support requests and I am having our support team take a look now. You should be receiving a response on the most recent request soon with some further steps towards finding out what is going on here.
Done everything asked from tech support and still 2 players are seeing the map. Console log sent as well.
Drespar said: Hi there Khruc, Thank you for providing the ticket ID #s and sorry for the delays! I was able to find your support requests and I am having our support team take a look now. You should be receiving a response on the most recent request soon with some further steps towards finding out what is going on here. Played one of my games tonight. Turned off video and stopped using audio for music in roll20. Using discord for video, voice and background music. We had no issues with any players seeing the map. Thoughts?&nbsp;
After further investigation and lots of trial and error, I believe this only happens if the GM moves the players token. Going forward, I will only copy and paste tokens to move them. Hopefully this fixes the issue.