Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Help] Invisible Dynamic Lighting Walls? Has it already been done or can it be done if not? (Seeing full map layer, but not tokens blocked)

So I like to make very detailed maps, and for some of them I'm sort of missing a feature with the dynamic lighting, that lets the player see the entire map layer, but still hide things on the object layer that is not within their line of sight. An example could be a city map with lots of buildings, where I want them to see the entire map with roofs, etc., but tokens behind a wall is still hidden from them. Is there an existing API that allows for that?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There isn't an API for that, the API doesn't have access to the Explorer mode reveal, which is how I think you'd need to do that. 
The Aaron said: There isn't an API for that, the API doesn't have access to the Explorer mode reveal, which is how I think you'd need to do that.  Wasn't there one for LDL?  I could have sworn there was an api that let you setup maps where the rooftops would be removed and the dynamic lighting lines got moved from the GM layer into the DL layer, or am I going crazy?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
DM Eddie said: The Aaron said: There isn't an API for that, the API doesn't have access to the Explorer mode reveal, which is how I think you'd need to do that.  Wasn't there one for LDL?  I could have sworn there was an api that let you setup maps where the rooftops would be removed and the dynamic lighting lines got moved from the GM layer into the DL layer, or am I going crazy? I know I've seen a forum comment showcasing something similar, but don't think it's LDL-specific, nor even needs API. Think the core concept is: you setup your base map & roof graphics on the Map Layer draw DL walls as normal create as tokens any building interiors, and place them on the Token Layer(and move to bottom) When DL is active, if the are is explored, the background map & roofs are seen, and only when players directly see the "interior"-tokens is the interior maps revealed for the area.
Andreas J. said: DM Eddie said: The Aaron said: There isn't an API for that, the API doesn't have access to the Explorer mode reveal, which is how I think you'd need to do that.  Wasn't there one for LDL?  I could have sworn there was an api that let you setup maps where the rooftops would be removed and the dynamic lighting lines got moved from the GM layer into the DL layer, or am I going crazy? I know I've seen a forum comment showcasing something similar, but don't think it's LDL-specific, nor even needs API. Think the core concept is: you setup your base map & roof graphics on the Map Layer draw DL walls as normal create as tokens any building interiors, and place them on the Token Layer(and move to bottom) When DL is active, if the are is explored, the background map & roofs are seen, and only when players directly see the "interior"-tokens is the interior maps revealed for the area. Nah there is a script, its just not in the one click and very old.  It kinda sorta behaves similarly to one way dynamic lighting API in a way, but like I said, Its so old it probably only works with LDL.  You can also disable DL lines blocking movement and turn interior structures into one way dynamic lighting shapes that when the players move over them they uncover the roofs.  Could even use the doorknocker api's highlight doors feature to show them where the doors are so they move into a building through doors and not walls.  
Andreas J. said: DM Eddie said: The Aaron said: There isn't an API for that, the API doesn't have access to the Explorer mode reveal, which is how I think you'd need to do that.  Wasn't there one for LDL?  I could have sworn there was an api that let you setup maps where the rooftops would be removed and the dynamic lighting lines got moved from the GM layer into the DL layer, or am I going crazy? I know I've seen a forum comment showcasing something similar, but don't think it's LDL-specific, nor even needs API. Think the core concept is: you setup your base map & roof graphics on the Map Layer draw DL walls as normal create as tokens any building interiors, and place them on the Token Layer(and move to bottom) When DL is active, if the are is explored, the background map & roofs are seen, and only when players directly see the "interior"-tokens is the interior maps revealed for the area. There is the ' Building Interior Innovative Trick ' using AFoW/Explorable Darkness where you make building interior assets as tokens, so when PCs have visibility inside the building, the 'interior token' is displayed over the map image, which allows them to 'see inside the building'.
The Aaron said: There isn't an API for that, the API doesn't have access to the Explorer mode reveal, which is how I think you'd need to do that.  Yeah I was hoping for a similar effect to the Explorer mode, but without the grayscale overlay and the need for tokens to have "discovered" it first. Let's hope that API gets access to Explorer mode in the future then. Thanks for your quick answer.