Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Exact same macro takes three times longer to use from Character Sheet than Macro Collection

I made a post recently about having an issue with very long waiting time between macros. All the information is in the title, but I'll make it clearer here: 0. The problematic macro uses the script Powercards. 1. I was experiencing unusual long waiting time between the moment I clicked the macro and the result being displayed in the chat. 2. I have a pretty bloated game, with +1000 handouts and +500 character sheets, so I tried to create a new game and ran the macro : same problem. 3. I tried to see if the lag came from where I used the macro : Character Macro or Collection Macro: issue located. → I copied the exact same Character Macro (CTRL + A, CTRL + C, CTRL + V) into a new Collection Macro, and the results are astounding: Waiting time for Character Macro: 17s, 15s, 19s, 17s Waiting time for Collection Macro: 4s, 5s, 4s, 5s Now is this a known issue? Is there anything I can do to fix this? Bearing in mind that 5s is still long to wait in terms of "I click on a button, I expect the result", it basically slows the game from every roll being instant (>0.5s) to it being anywhere from 5s to 15s.

Edited 1642435775
Boris said: I made a post recently about having an issue with very long waiting time between macros. All the information is in the title, but I'll make it clearer here: 0. The problematic macro uses the script Powercards. 1. I was experiencing unusual long waiting time between the moment I clicked the macro and the result being displayed in the chat. 2. I have a pretty bloated game, with +1000 handouts and +500 character sheets, so I tried to create a new game and ran the macro : same problem. 3. I tried to see if the lag came from where I used the macro : Character Macro or Collection Macro: issue located. → I copied the exact same Character Macro (CTRL + A, CTRL + C, CTRL + V) into a new Collection Macro, and the results are astounding: Waiting time for Character Macro: 17s, 15s, 19s, 17s Waiting time for Collection Macro: 4s, 5s, 4s, 5s Now is this a known issue? Is there anything I can do to fix this? Bearing in mind that 5s is still long to wait in terms of "I click on a button, I expect the result", it basically slows the game from every roll being instant (>0.5s) to it being anywhere from 5s to 15s. When you made a new session, did you use the copy game feature or did you literally "create new game" and then go through the long winded process of setting up all of your api scripts manually and then also copying/pasting the macros in collections tab over manually also?  If you copied the game you likely copied the problem too.   EDIT:  Also I have noticed some ridiculousness with OGL 5e sheets with their patches adding TONS of data fields that weren't there before and then also ridiculousness of user errors when people toggle off and on npc checkboxes as well as really old sheets having obsolete data fields, its also a wise idea to remake sheets from scratch sometimes too.  

Edited 1642439685
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's difficult to tell what the reason might be without seeing what the macro does. (I don't use Powercards, so I won't hazard an opinion). But even 4-5 seconds sounds a little long for a macro to resolve, unless it is polling a LOT of character data or dealing with a tone of recursion.
Thanks for your answers, I did in fact create a blank game, add the API script, etc... The problem got resolved, it was the 3D dice option that was causing the delay. It switched from 17s to instant, so I guess 3D dice were posing a problem.