Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hello Kind folks some of my players are having issues loading my game due to latency.

Hello as the title says some players are having issues loading one of my games for 5e.  Admittedly i have loaded a bunch of maps and tokens, however im nowhere near my limit as far as i can tell.  I also have purchased most of the 5e books so this bogs down the charectermancer and the compendium in game.  My question to you all is what CAN i do now?  What can i do to curb this, or help it.    I have uploaded four or five modules into this game as well thanks.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
How do you upload a module? Only Addons can be added to a game.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, your storage quota is nothing like the limit of what a game can contain. A "Typical" large game might have 200 sheets, a couple dozen maps. Most of the rest of the stuff (handouts, for example) don't matter much. The number of character sheets can swing up or down depending on how much data is typically on them. A lot of spell casters will bloat a game far more quickly than a lot of goblins. Your storage quota has little bearing on your game lag, except possibly when searching your art library.
thanks.  I used addons to add 5 or so modules.  i also use invis tokens to write notes in a lot for room descriptions.  i have at least a couple hundred homade monsters and another couple hundred Npc,s and chars.  Not to many handouts.  I have a million rollable tables, and macros to roll them.  and some giant maps. 
Im thinking i may loose some of the maps im not using.  But i guess its most likley the pc they are using is not the greatest, and roll 20 updating a bunch lately as well. Crossing fingers they give us folders in the maps page!
It sounds like you need to build a new session.  You should think about using your transmogrifier to better slim down your live session so that your players are not stuck stewing in all the bloat you leave in the sessions they never need to see.  Think of the live session like the stage of a theater and the dressing rooms can be a second session with all of your npc sheets stored ready to be transmogged over when you need them, then a few map sesssions storing all of your setting maps, and another session hosting various other elements, and only ever bring the things to the stage session that you need right then and there.  Your players will not be lagged at all then.  

Edited 1642637565
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, 400+ monsters and the contents of 4-5 addon adventures could certainly be lag-inducing. Here's some info on how to manage a  Library Campaign . Notes tokens are like handouts: very minimal impact. Characters and maps are your biggest issues. I am not sure currently if music in a game is loaded into RAM at runtime like the other assets. My suspicion is not.
thanks fellow roll20er's  looks like i need to slim it down a bit. excellent advice.