Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GM seeking advice on solo presentations

I have experimented of and on with Roll20 for about eight or nine months, posted a couple of times, and had to let my supported sub lapse (hopefully I can up it again in Sept. or Oct.), but have yet to actually run a game. I mention this because I haven't had a chance to see how things play out and adapt, but I have finally set my mind on how I want to present games in a virtual environment. Specifically, I would like to offer my players the opportunity for solo play (not one-on-one, true solo). I can write a series of simple notes editable by the player, ala choose your own adventure style, that catches a character up to speed if they miss a session; similar operations can be used for characters' pursuit of a goal when it might otherwise interfere with the main narrative; present small dungeon areas as way to pick up some extra XP; or research a new spell, etc. - essentially an interactive PBP native to the Roll20 environment. I can do this inelegantly with notes, but I was wondering if scripting would open up possibilities. I used to script mirc for game play, so I should be able to pick up the necessary skill over time, but could I write scripts to create a more interactive solo experience? For instance, I would be great if I could set-up a mini-dungeon with a "click-me token" that would open up the note particular to the room. So, what is possible? How big should I dream?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The API script can't open a note for you, but it can add the note to the player's journal, and output it's contents to the chat area.