Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Sound in API... even technically possible?

Can one, even in theory, design an API script that, in any manner whatsoever, activates a sound on every participant's computer, even if it's as simple as a BEEP? Just wondering and hoping. Ideally, I'd like a script that'd let me call up MP3s, but will settle for any sounds at all. Trying to figure out the potential limitations, since I know nothing whatsoever about this kind of thing. -Phnord
Several times various mods and devs have said no, several programmers have said it should be possible. So definitely no and possibly yes. Sounds like a politician eh?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
In the current state of the API it is not possible. There is not technical limitation why the functionality could not be created, but I have no idea how difficult that would be.

Edited 1407247506
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This is my biggest "want" out of all the features planned/requested, playing sounds on demand via API. (well this, and some alterative to soundcloud :P Tired of wadding thru 80 rap/techno/'remix' songs that happen to have the sound effect name im looking for, in its name). Freesound.org now has an API roll20 could use, that would be perfect :)
I think it may be because they don't want to host any music or sound effect on roll20 because of copyrights and such. We all know how aggressive they are about that right now (think Twitch, Youtube!)... But yeah William, while it won't play it automatically, what I always do with my games is I upload everything I need to soundcloud and play it myself when needed. If you have some experience with sound mixing you could create a battlefield effect, did it a few times. I think I used Skyrim sounds, hah.