Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Extreme input lag

In my live session, my storage session, and my handouts session right now, I am experiencing ridiculous input lag when modifying tokens.  I am just prepping for a session tomorrow but if this is now the way roll20 is going to perform this is virtually unplayable.  I did not have this problem before the last patch and I don't make dramatic changes to my setup on purpose to avoid crap like this.  Adjusting hitpoints on tokens, updating default tokens, and general clicking between tokens are all on a 3-8 second delay on actually happening.  Session name starts with "Room 9:".  My browser I am using is Chrome and specifically Chrome is only opened on this pc to run roll20 and host with it, it has stylus extensions installed, I disabled them and the input lag persists.  I tried firefox which is my main browser and the input lag persists.  It feels like server lag to me at 9 am in the morning on a monday?
Giger
Pro
API Scripter
I've been plagued by these problems too -  What's your RAM usage at?  Roll20 is a memory hog.

Edited 1644257740
I always thought chrome ran in 32bit.  But looking at it in the taskmanager its not.  I'm sitting around 880ish memory in use and utilizing .9% of my GPU.  The only thing thats actually lagging is token modifications and sometimes character....no all the time character sheet and handout open times.  I paused for a second there cause I'm starting to write off the long load times as normal when I shouldn't.  Character sheets and handouts take forever to open now and that is also new...and annoying.   Chrome also has non roll20 tabs open though, but a good chunk of that is likely roll20.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I had similar lag of maybe 2 seconds or so last night on the Chromebook. I assume you have tried different browsers. Is the problem persistent, or intermittent? This also might be one of those cases where deleting cookies might help, but I'm just shooting in the dark here, obviously.

Edited 1644261140
Its weird.  Lighting seems to be the one thing that *isn’t* inexplicably laggy.  Maps bigger than about 50x50 are way worse than they used to be, and turning on a grid has way more of an effect than it should.  A hex grid is worse than a square one.  Character sheets take forever to load sometimes. If you make about 5-10 tiny little maps with just one animated image on each of them and switch between the maps, your animation will forever be lagged and choppy thereafter until you reload the page. But that doesn’t seem to extend to other parts of the UI. Something is causing it to get all bogged down editing tokens, I’ve seen it when making maps.  Stuff is fine at the beginning, but at some point it gets slower and slower and is now taking a second of two to register me toggling bright light on s light source. Its frustrating.  Because there are definitely things I know I could be doing that might help, but they don’t fix it, and I can’t pin down any particular trigger.  It happens at weird times of the day.  And often it’s not a “aha!  This is the point where there is too much lag! “  Things are just kinda generally unpleasant.
Same problems. Any time myself or my players edit a token or sheet it lags to no end. :'( Still a thing. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
In the past, the editing issue has been solvable by turning off autofill and autocorrect, but I don't know if that is still an issue.
keithcurtis said: In the past, the editing issue has been solvable by turning off autofill and autocorrect, but I don't know if that is still an issue. Tokenmod commands are causing the lag too and the token settings window isn't even open.  I turn autofill off cause when you stream it can dox you as you go to set the permissions to a macro and your personal address shows up in the field briefly.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
DM Eddie said: keithcurtis said: In the past, the editing issue has been solvable by turning off autofill and autocorrect, but I don't know if that is still an issue. Tokenmod commands are causing the lag too and the token settings window isn't even open.  I turn autofill off cause when you stream it can dox you as you go to set the permissions to a macro and your personal address shows up in the field briefly.   I was addressing Mr NumNum's lag report in that post. The one you made had more to it than just editing lag.