Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Game excessively slow without any reasons...

Please, I need help. I am creating a core game with all my draws, making handouts for images, character sheets, add a lot of details to them. I am spending a lot of time doing that and all my games are becoming slow, including the new one I made a couple of months ago. I constantly need to refresh them to gain a couple of minutes of speed. It is excessively painful and I am stressed, as I posted a message a few months ago without helo/solution. If it remains like that, I will have to move somewhere else and I don't want to start all of this again. I got hundreds of draws and things to upload, I don't want to spend time doing that again. I didn't even upload maps into it yet, so it's not a dynamic lighting thing. It is slow on all browsers I used(Chrome, edge and Opera). Uploading and working on my prep is painful, but dming a game is more, as it gets slow for me and players quickly. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It could be the overall size of the game. I am working on a script that surveys game size , you could try getting a report from that. But in general the more characters you add, and the more complex those characters are (example:spellcasters), and the ore discrete objects are in place on the VTT (even on inactive pages), the greater the potential for performance lag. If the number of these things seems to be an issue, you can reduce the impact on your game through the use of a  Library Campaign .
I can't say for certain that this may be your problem but it could simply be that you're storing too much on your game. From handouts to maps, to perhaps even having a wide bestiary section. The only reason I suggest this is because I have also been having that same issue with some of my games and typically the new ones without much progress in terms of world building are the ones which do not have a heavy load/slow down.
Jonathan G. said: Please, I need help. I am creating a core game with all my draws, making handouts for images, character sheets, add a lot of details to them. I am spending a lot of time doing that and all my games are becoming slow, including the new one I made a couple of months ago. I constantly need to refresh them to gain a couple of minutes of speed. It is excessively painful and I am stressed, as I posted a message a few months ago without helo/solution. If it remains like that, I will have to move somewhere else and I don't want to start all of this again. I got hundreds of draws and things to upload, I don't want to spend time doing that again. I didn't even upload maps into it yet, so it's not a dynamic lighting thing. It is slow on all browsers I used(Chrome, edge and Opera). Uploading and working on my prep is painful, but dming a game is more, as it gets slow for me and players quickly.  You could drop the resolution down on the images especially if they are only ever viewed in a small format like tokens.  My guess is you are saving all your art in craze resolutions.  However, I think your entire setup is the problem and you should rethink how you are doing things, and as someone who uses Foundry and Roll20, what you describe your setup as....probably would blow up on Foundry.  You could also try rehosting your art off roll20 some as roll20's hosting servers lag the hell out very often, your own amazon data hosting service would be directly manageable by you and likely not affected by Roll20's bogged down stuff.  
Let me clarify. I am creating one game that I use as a "core game". This game is where I upload all of my stuff and, when a new campaign starts, I copy it, so I don't have to do that every time. I got characters for all kinds of encounters, so they need to be ready. I don'T use special effects, other than maps and dynamic lighting, that are not even there yet. I only have handouts of my NPCs and a character sheet, tied to it. I use handouts because character sheets are too small for my players to look at when they meet that person. IN the past, my core game had maps with dynamic lighting, with more handouts and sheets and was not that slow.  How would it help me to store it somewhere else (DM Eddie)? I mean, I need my stuff to show in roll20, a thing I cannot do if it's not there... They are already stored on my google drive. 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
What character sheet/game system are you using?  How many characters/creatures are you storing there?
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I’d like to second Keith’s recommendation of Library Games. Your core game should be as small as possible, and you should use the Transmogrifier to populate active games with what you need for the next few sessions and then clean up.  For example, my active 13th Age game is at 5th level, so all the monsters of 3rd level or below are deleted now, and the higher levels are there instead. I’m not getting any performance issues during play.
I have NEVER had a positive experience with the copy game feature in roll20.  Whenever I need to do this, it doesn't copy the hardest part of copying and often the reasons for a copy are problems that get copied into the new session.  I built a 2 page document on steps to do to recreate my flagship design session from scratch, I transmog over alot of stuff but I do NOT copy game.  You should run a very narrow live session if you have a pro account and use the transmogrifier to yoink stuff in on the fly when the players improv things you weren't expecting.  If your images are high resolution tokens you really should step them down in resolution.  Theres no need for high detail stuff unless its a map and even then just high enough to hide the pixelation is all you need, remember everyones loading all that in their ram.  
Jonathan G., have you submitted a Help Center ticket? If you do (and include a link to your game), we can help you troubleshoot. 
I am using Chronicles of Darkness. I got a good amount of stuff and yes, the quality of the images is important, I'm paying artists to make my characters of good quality, not to downsize them after.  DM Eddie, it's fun that we need to avoid all the features we have here, cause they never work properly.  As it's modern and I'm the type of GM that is super open, I have all kinds of NPC'S for different encounters, from a cop, a thug, a scared woman, a cinema employee, a university guard, professional attire, doctor... Sessions can be from 4 to 6h, maybe more and the players can meet and go to a variety of locations, I don't want to constantly say Oh sorry, Roll 20 is too inefficient, I need to move something, wait as I go and look for it. Yes, I have some sort of plan of what I wanna do during the session, but I'm not railroading my players. The goal of the Core game is to have everything ready and just start my games without redoing the upload/Transmogrifier every time. It used to work well with my previous Core, which was heavier with maps and dynamic light.  Bianca, I will do so. 
Ticket Submitted Bianca.