Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

API Script for Tracking NPC Spells Per Day in 5e

Hello, I an using the roll20 5e sheet.  I am tracking monster/NPC spells per day by putting colored dots with the number of spells per day and decrementing them with tokenmod. This is not ideal for a monster with a lot of spells because their token gets covered with colored dots.   Is there a better way to do this? 

Edited 1645423911
Before I go down the rabbit hole with you....do ya really need to manage them?  How many combat rounds do you even get in before they are melted after the first spell usage gets the barbarian to pound on it?  Just wing it.  But if you must...I do exactly what you need but for the player's characters.   My macro has a bajillion bells and whistles but if all you need is spells, you could snip out the useful bits if you are interested I'll share the code:
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Someone just posted a script for this purpose a few days ago. I haven't tried it, but here is the link if you want to investigate.

Edited 1645457292
DM Eddie, Now with Monsters of the Multiverse,  monsters will use spells per day instead of slots.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Do you have a copy? I believe it is a mixture, with signature spells displayed as Actions/Reactions, but they will still have the spellcaster trait and slots for general spells.

Edited 1645475329
Albert R. said: DM Eddie, Now with Monsters of the Multiverse,  monsters will use spells per day instead of slots. You mean like the Detect Thoughts, Gift of Alacrity, healing spirit, goodberry, and misty step in the image? With what I did in my campaign all you have to do is temporarily turn the npc sheet into a player character sheet, populate the repeating resource boxes accordingly to work with the macro, and bam.  I'm well aware of MPMM.  I still think that npcs don't need to have their spells tracked if they die within 5 combat rounds, and any that don't probably deserve a character sheet or are a unique character so they can have their attributes modded like I said.  The script keith shared was for when character sheets represent multiple tokens.  I guess we need to know your use scenario. EDIT:  Also, you can manually override spell slot counts for unique monsters to work with MPMM.  Make the sheet a pc, then go into the gear.  Lots of work for an npc though, it really needs to be either a bbeg or a beloved dm character to justify the effort when you can just fudge the spell usages in the 5 rounds the players see them.