Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character Vault problem - Dividing the vault over multiple pages is bad design

I have a lot of characters in my vault. Maybe 100?  The recent change that splits the vault up into multiple pages is bad .  Now my characters are split up over five different pages, and I have to vaguely guess what page Nikos or Thistle are on.  Before, I could simply open the vault, do a ctrl+f and type the character name.  Boom, done.  Now that doesn't work.  Bad, bad developer. Bad.  Put it back the way it was.
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Sorry you're having trouble finding your characters. We implemented pagination to solve a problem where users weren't able to load the page once they had over a certain number of characters. Our next step is to make the character vault searchable and we're currently working on that. The Character Vault is alphabetized, so I hope that helps you track them down in the meantime! Keep an eye on our change log (or your vault) to see when changes go live.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Not sure if it'll work, but you can try pasting this into your address bar after navigating to your vault: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/vault/characters?page=-1" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/vault/characters?page=-1</a>
Thanks, Oosh, but that doesn't help. It takes me to the last page of my vault.
Hi. Yeah, I find it difficult to guess which page the characters can be and it takes longer than actually waiting for a single page to load. Maybe add alphabetical tags (so the users don't have to guess which page number corresponds to which letter), or allow the user to deactivate pagination altogether?
Yes, a setting to deactivate pagination would solve this for me.&nbsp;&nbsp; Also, a userscript to make it work like before might do the trick.&nbsp;

Edited 1647040640
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
PunyPaladin said: Thanks, Oosh, but that doesn't help. It takes me to the last page of my vault. Odd... works for me - the page selector has nothing selected and it lists all my characters. I only have 2 pages though, maybe it won't work for more. I can't really do much more digging - the pagination would be happening server side, otherwise it would be pointless.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Some good suggestions there, but I think this is still in flux. Posting in the Suggestion forum never hurts, though.&nbsp;
I have to agree with the original poster.&nbsp; How about fix the bug where some people can't load all of the characters once they reach a certain number?&nbsp; Paginate at that point, I'm rolling thru 6 pages of characters and as a paying customer I dislike the change.
I personally have a game called Character Select, where i have all my characters in. I import and export as necessary then delete them from the Character Vault. I dont see where you would need more than 10+ characters or more than one page of characters in the vault at any given time. I'm not disagreeing or agreeing, i just dont understand why you would need that many, especially with us pro/plus players.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Dinotrux said: I personally have a game called Character Select, where i have all my characters in. I import and export as necessary then delete them from the Character Vault. I dont see where you would need more than 10+ characters or more than one page of characters in the vault at any given time. I'm not disagreeing or agreeing, i just dont understand why you would need that many, especially with us pro/plus players. If you're using the Transmogrifier, that only works for Pro users.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
And also only between your own games. I frequently use Character Vault to copy spell templates to games I'm playing in.&nbsp;
I see the search function now. It really helps. :) Still, an option to toggle off pagination would be nice.
The new search function is worse than ctrl-F
If you're using the Stylus extension , I've included the code I use for the character vault (which I honestly don't use that often, so I've only got two characters in there right now for demonstration purposes) to make it much easier to view characters there. That might help you with searching, even if you're not able to get them all on a single page again! Here's a couple screenshots showing the difference (I had to shrink the browser zoom down to 33% to get a decent visual). /* Character Vault */ .vaultchar { border: 1px solid #aaa; margin-top: 1em; background: #eee; border-radius: 5px; padding: 0.5em; max-height: 255px; text-overflow: clip; } .vaultchar p.char-name { font-size: 20px; background: #666; border-radius: 4px; padding: 0em 0.5em 0em; color: #fff } .char-info { max-height: 55%; text-overflow: clip; margin-top: 5px; } .char-images { max-height: 129px; margin-top: 5px; min-width: 255px; } .char-bio { max-height: 129px; text-overflow: clip; overflow: auto; } .charmenu p { font-size: 12px; } .char-tools .btn:not(.btn-primary) { padding: 0em; } label.choose { line-height: 1.8; margin-bottom: 0px; padding: 0em; } .char-tools .btn { padding: 0em; } .char-avatar img, .char-token img { overflow: scroll; max-height: 100px; } .char-avatar, .char-token { font-size: 12px; padding: 0em; margin: .25em 1em 0em; display: inline-block; }