Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token Tooltips and GM notes

I recently tried out these two things and I'm a bit puzzled. Are the tooltips and GM notes supposed to carry over from page to page? When I set things like auras, permissions, what the bubbles link to, vision, and everything else I can set on the token edit pages, they carry over to new pages, the settings carry over to new pages. But, the tooltips and GM notes don't seem to carry over to new pages. Are they supposed to? If so, then it's broken. If not, then what are these meant for - what use are they? Thanks. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
They do carry over. How are you moving the token from page to page? This could be a default token issue.
I've tried using CTRL-C to copy the token and then CTRL-V to paste it. I've also tried dragging the character from the journal tab onto the page.  I don't think it's a default token issue because, as I said, all of the other settings (light, vision, ac, hp, etc.) all carry over but the tooltips and GM notes do not.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I’m using Copy and Paste on my 13th Age Glorantha monster tokens all the time. I correct the first token dragged from the Journal, then duplicate it for the rest of the mob. It’s working OK for me, but I haven’t test Paste to another Map page.  I’ll try and replicate it when I get home and my Internet is fixed (lightning strike whacked something upstream last night). 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's why I asked about default tokens. Tooltips were known not to save (or rather update) to the default token, though that is only if the default is saved via the API. If saved manually, it seems to work just fine. I have run about a half dozen tests just now, and tooltips and GM notes stay firmly affixed, while cutting and pasting between pages, and if manually saved as a default token. How are you saving your default?
I save the default manually.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm, I just can't replicate the experience you are seeing, Saul.  If I follow the steps you've outlined, my token keeps its tooltips and GM notes. Are you using an unsupported browser? Have you tried with a private browsing window?
Don't know what to say: this is my life - having problems that no one else has and no one else can replicate. :-)   Anyway, you know how modules come with a "Token Page" that has all the tokens used for that module? I am running Tomb of Annihilation. At the start, I created another "token page" where I keep all my own tokens like the character tokens for the players. I clicked on one of my player's tokens, getting the radial wheel, opened up the token edit page and put information into the Tooltip section. For now, it's just the character name. I'm hoping that I can use this to make the screen less confusing without nameplates.  Anyway, from the journal page, I dragged the character onto a brand new page I had just created. The character's token appeared. When I hover over it, when I would expect the tooltip to appear, nothing happens. When I click on the token on that page and open the token edit page, the tooltip information is there on one character. It's not there on another that I created, and moved to the page in the exact same way. The tooltip does not appear on the second one either but I would expect that if there's nothing there (there is, on the "token page" but not on this page). I don't know if this explains it any better... or if this is yet another one of those hundreds of things that works for everyone else but not for me. Sigh.
Please forgive me if you've already answered this, but just to be sure: Did you save your edited token as the default token in the character sheet after adding the tooltip? Saving as default needs to be the very last step, after making any desired changes. Linking Tokens to Journals
@Sarah R. Cohen: So you're saying that every time I change something on the token, I have to re-link it? That's never been true before - I can change lighting,/vision conditions, and other things and it carries over without re-linking the token.  And, that would mean every time I add a note as a "GM Note" I would have to re-link the token - that doesn't make sense.

Edited 1647721284
You are correct, Saul J. If you want to keep changes you need to re-save the changed token as the default token in the character sheet. Copying and pasting a token will keep whatever changes you made without saving, but dragging a character out from the journal will produce whatever token was last saved as the default token for that character.
@Sarah R. Cohen: It's never been that way before.

Edited 1647721791
It's always been how Roll20 has behaved for me, since I joined two years ago. But then I'm not using anything special to modify how Roll20 deals with tokens. Are you using a script such as TokenMod? If so, the issue you are experiencing might have to do with that script. (I think that's what Keith Curtis alluded to when he mentioned an issue when saving the token via the API.) In any case, I think the workaround is to set the token as the default from the character sheet after adding the tooltip.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Saul J. said: @Sarah R. Cohen: It's never been that way before. That is the way it has always worked for me.  The default has always been a "snapshot" of the token as it was when you set the default (at least during my time using Roll20).  If you have had other behavior, have you been running any 3rd party browser extensions that change Roll20 behavior?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This sounds like the behavior of an extension like VTTES. Sarah and Kraynic are right. Changes to tokens do not automatically propagate back to the default, and this is intentional. When you draw out, say, a goblin, you want a fresh new goblin, exactly at the way you originally set it up, not the one with the blinded token marker and zero HP from the last battle. If you want to quickly re-save a default token, you can use the token-mod script if you have it installed. Select the edited token and run: !token-mod --set defaulttoken
I give up. What i've seen for the last two years doesn't seem to be what you've seen. And it leaves me just as puzzled and scratching my head because I don't even know what VTTES is, much less use it, nor do I use any other browser extension. And I know that changes to the default token have always propagated to new pages without having to reset the default token because I've never done that for any of the player character's tokens. Like I've said, my life has been a series of things that work differently for me than they do for everyone else... and no one ever believes me until or unless they observe the phenomena for themselves (and, yes, that's happened). I'll just chalk this up to being another of those things.