Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5e] Spells and Attacks duplicating every level up

Basically, as it says, every level up, every character sheet I have has started duplicating all the spells and attacks in the attacks section, as well as occasionally duplicating items in the inventory. This has started happening in every game I run, with every character. Any ideas?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I wish I knew. It's random and it's a plague.
I think the problem is the sheet re-adding everything on a level up but not deleting or replacing the previous ones. No idea though and glad it isn't just me. It's frustrating as all hell though.
New issue though. I actually wrote a while ago about an issue with spells where they couldn't be cast from the spell list (<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10732369/5e-sheets-spell-issue/?pageforid=10732369#post-10732369" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10732369/5e-sheets-spell-issue/?pageforid=10732369#post-10732369</a>). Fix for that was to go in and manually change everything from Spellcard output to Attack output.&nbsp; Doing this though is now creating duplicates on the sheet when I change it. Problem then occurs because it changes the spell I just manually changed back to Spellcard if I delete the duplicate. Every time. So, I either have to have the duplicate spells or broken spellcards. Beginning to think this is just WAY more trouble than it's worth and it's time to find another site...
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've got a script that can remove duplicate rows if anyone would like?
Oosh said: I've got a script that can remove duplicate rows if anyone would like? The problem with that is that the actual bug has something to do with spin ups of sessions from idle or is trully random.&nbsp; I have a table that plays every saturday night and because we all login multiple times during the week, on saturday everyone has like 4-5 duplicates and only 1 set is true.&nbsp; When they are spell attacks, if you delete the wrong ones, the spells on the spells tab break and you have to re-input them.&nbsp; So basically the routine is that you test each one and delete the ones that don't spit anything out when you press them.&nbsp; Unless your script tests this, we have to do it manually, atleast for casters.&nbsp;&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Please post a link, Oosh. It's a rare problem, but not so rare that it doesn't cause hassles when it happens.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Well this is a bit experimental, since I haven't seen the bug. But the best we can do is test it, right? :) It won't delete anything without the --delete command, and can be run on a single character at a time. With regards to this: DM Eddie said: The problem with that is that the actual bug has something to do with spin ups of sessions from idle or is trully random.&nbsp; I have a table that plays every saturday night and because we all login multiple times during the week, on saturday everyone has like 4-5 duplicates and only 1 set is true.&nbsp; When they are spell attacks, if you delete the wrong ones, the spells on the spells tab break and you have to re-input them.&nbsp; So basically the routine is that you test each one and delete the ones that don't spit anything out when you press them.&nbsp; Unless your script tests this, we have to do it manually, atleast for casters.&nbsp; Attributes are almost always in order of creation, it takes some tinkering to whack them out of order. So the script *should* get the right ones. Having said that, I'd 100% recommend testing it on a copy of a problem character sheet first. The script searches first the 'name' (or spellname/itemname etc.) attribute in a section. Anything after the oldest row will be flagged as a dupe. It then searches a second attribute for that row to check the match, unless you use the --single flag. Usage is this: !fixDupe &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; --all &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; process all character sheets &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; --pcs &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; process all PC sheets &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; --char &lt;charId or charName&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; process a single sheet by ID or by name (case-insensitive) followed by flags: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; --report &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; report result in chat &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; --delete &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; delete duplicate rows &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; --single &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; duplicates only require a name match, not a secondary attribute match So a typical trial run would be: !fixdupe --char @{selected|character_id} --report This would hopefully show up the names of any sections/rows where a duplicate entry is found. It's pretty dumb reporting, I didn't put much effort into it. Followed by... !fixdupe --char @{selected|character_id} --report --delete Which will delete those rows, and report how many it deleted. If you run it without flags, it won't delete or report anything - it at least needs the --report flag to do anything obvious. Nothing will be modified until you supply the --delete flag. Obviously, be vary wary of using --all --delete . While the script will never delete the first instance of a row, it's possible players have duplicate entries (maybe different stacks of arrows, though they would need identical quantities to be flagged) or some other setup where a player might lose valid items. Running it without --delete first will show the names of all items/attacks/spells that have been flagged. The script can easily be modified to check different attributes, or skip sections (maybe attack?) if you don't want them checked. Script on pastebin This definitely needs some testing before I could flag it as an actual fix - I haven't been able to reproduce the bug myself, so I could only test it on manually duped rows. It's possible that the bug isn't properly reproducing the rows on firebase, in that case this script won't even pick them up, and it's back to the drawing board!
Kinda coming back to this, but I think I've sourced the problem.&nbsp; Versatile Weapons. Basically, when a versatile weapon is added, it adds a flat weapon and the other weapons/spells from 1st level. After that, it seems to add the weapon again, but this time adding it as 1 Handed and 2 Handed. It then goes on to add everything from 1st level all over again. I've tested it between a few different sheets and it only seems to occur when a versatile weapon is added.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
AJ C. said: Kinda coming back to this, but I think I've sourced the problem.&nbsp; Versatile Weapons. Basically, when a versatile weapon is added, it adds a flat weapon and the other weapons/spells from 1st level. After that, it seems to add the weapon again, but this time adding it as 1 Handed and 2 Handed. It then goes on to add everything from 1st level all over again. I've tested it between a few different sheets and it only seems to occur when a versatile weapon is added. If repeatable, that would be very handy information to put into the feedback thread for the&nbsp;D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet. It might help quash a long-standing but intermittent bug.
I'd love to, but it says the thread is closed as it's more than 2 months old. Do you have a link to a recent one if it's there?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's open. You are looking at the early pages. Go to the last page and you can post there.
Oosh said: Well this is a bit experimental, since I haven't seen the bug. But the best we can do is test it, right? :) Oosh you are a lifesaver! That script has cleared up me having to manually find, flag, and delete, around 20 dupes on each character every month in all the games I GM. Just cleaned up 21 on one and 10 on the other with seemingly no issues at a glance. Thank you!