Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Fog of War position of maps completly wrong

Edited 1648330095
Edit: This forum software is such a pain. Unable to post the two example screenshots properly. Post formatting got completly destroyed with a second image uploaded and I won't write it again. Short version: Position of map item was completly different between what the players saw and what the gm saw. After I moved the map item it got updated on all clients. It spoiled todays adventure by showing the players things they should not see and me describing things where they weren't.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I know it doesn't help now, but the forum is not built for copy and paste from a desktop source. If you copy an on-line image, use the upload button, or drag and drop, all of these will work. A lot of older forum software works that way or is even less forgiving. Roll20 hasn't really rebuilt the engine since the beginning. And truth be told, it's probably a good thing they don't touch the underlying code. Who knows what it might break. As for your issue of last night, this was likely due to a communication drop between one of your players' clients and Amazon Web Services, resulting in something that did not get updated until it got changed again. Again, I know this doesn't help now.

Edited 1648898788
@keithcurtis. Thanks I have used the upload functionality. The problem definetly is a bug, because it was between all players and me, so there was a state that did not cause an update, when it should. It is expected that the VTT syncs the state of everything between all players, and if it gets out of sync, it should fix it.

Edited 1648920568
I have noticed token positions being off between players often during session but its never happened with Dm assets like maps cause they all load them fresh when I show them to them.  did you drop the map asset after you put the player ribbon on the page?  If so thats what caused it.  Yes, I agree that its a bug but it is preventable.  I have a player who CONSTANTLY will put his token ontop of others when setting up marching orders and its as if his grid alignment is off by 1 and does't see anyone elses tokens in the right spots till I move each token for him to see where they really are.   Whenever I have a map that changes, instead of dropping a new version down ontop of existing, I set the map to a rollable token and flip it, that way its never dropped misaligned in front of the players.