Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Alt take on exploring maps

PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
So to preface this suggestion, I'd like to make it clear I don't expect this would be easy to do, but it's more in the "aim big" category of ideas. Besides, I'm sure Riley likes a challenge :) This is based on the aesthetic of a video game called Monaco, but I think the idea would translate beautifully to Roll20 for games where there is a map of the location you're entering. The core of the idea is that there are two map layers. One layer is visible to the players at all times, that's the "map" or schematic layer. A second layer is visible only under the influence of dynamic lighting, and it is superimposed on the "map" layer to simulate vision. What a ham fisted explanation... let me show you instead: <a href="http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/11302" rel="nofollow">http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/11302</a>... Does that make it clearer? I think this would be incredible for ye olde hand drawn maps, Shadowrun breaking and entering type games, Spycraft style espionage, an old manor in Cthulu... a whole host of genres and games really. Again, probably not the simplest thing to implement but I'm hoping a few others will see the attraction of this and +1 the idea.
I do this with hidden map and shadow.. fog of war. I ignore the dynamic lighting, as they move. if I want to go to that, I play a videogame like Neverwinter nights which is set up for that style.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ooh! That is a cool idea! +1