Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Performance on modular maps

I've noticed recently a huge performance issue on maps that I've created using small images tiled together versus maps that are a single large image. For example I have a map created using the excellent Save vs. Caves tiles that I had run in the past with no problems. Now loading the map pegs my cpu (all 8 cpus in fact) at 100% as does any zoom, pan or scroll operation.  It is currently completely unplayable and creating new maps using smaller pieces is hopeless. Is anyone else seeing a similar problem?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Rick! In general, it is recommended to stitch together complex tile maps outside of roll20 and upload as a unit. But unless we're talking about many, many tiles, it shouldn't make a difference. How many tiles are you using? Generally, the speed of the computer is not a factor in performance for simple display. Are you using Dynamic Lighting on this map? If so, do you have hardware acceleration enabled?
You nailed it. I had a browser problem recently and had turned off hardware acceleration while trying to diagnose and fix it. Re-enabling it completely fixed the problem. Hardware acceleration is the difference between "works just fine" and "completely unusable". Thanks so much for the suggestion!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Whew! Glad to hear it!