Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Survey regarding Prototype Layout

Edited 1654236671
First and foremost a few things: - YES, I'd like to see a new Layout for the VTT, BUT I strongly disagree forcing everyone on the "planned" (?) Layout asked to vote for in the survey as it is strongly TOUCH BASED! - PLEASE for gods sake (and BEFORE you even THINK of switching): a) Let us manage our resources in FOLDERS. Otherwise it is NOT possible finding a resource to place on the VTT as quick as before! b) Let us manage our maps in FOLDERS c) Better organize the "settings" menu. Although it was not seen in the short tasks you should do, I have the feeling that it will be splittered on the different Layers. (Instead of multiple different layers you still get 4 Layers to work with (3 if you are a free user) d) Properly implement DARK MODE (so that everything is readable) and FIX all Templates in your own sheets! This was one of the tasks in the survey (place snake on VTT). You can see new layout with TOUCH design all over the place. To place an object or map, you need to click on it instead of drag'n drop. So you need to click on the layer, then click on "place ..." then you click on the image / token whatsoever... and it should be more intuitive / easy? Right now: Open Library tab, Drag & Drop the Token / Image, Resize (THAT is easy!). Also I wonder where to create new Characters / Handouts. Is this done as before? Chat is hidden under the bubble Button on the bottom right... I wonder where you will see the whole library? Also when In game with multiple players... where do you see who is actually online in this campaign as there are NO Player avatars or names? If THIS is the future of Roll20, I am cancelling my subscription and finally switch to foundry.
Hey there! What you saw is just one of a very large number of tests we are running about VTT UI design and layout. None of those tests reflect full and complete designs but are instead each focused on one particular area or interaction. And all of them are just tests! Some of these tests fail and those tests don't move forward or are iterated on until the users who are trying them out find success and have generally high sentiment towards them.   We know how important resource and map management is and making sure users have the tools they need to organize those assets is definitely on the list of things we know we have to achieve in any redesign. Please rest assured that we are only moving forward with designs when we have high confidence that the changes improve the user experience for the majority of users and that's why these tests are so important! Thank you for participating in the survey! We know that getting this right is important and we can't do that without valuable user feedback!

Edited 1654302391
Just wanted to throw in some feedback.  So personally I have this situation where I've purchased approximately a billion tile sets which I use to build maps.  I may have a problem.  Currently it's rather a pain to keep track of those.  Some way to stick them in folders and a working search would be nice.     This seems potentially atrocious in the UI in those tests where you can see approximately 9 things at a time. I've also been known to occasionally do silly things like this map that was built from pieces instead of just one big tile (apologies for pictures of screen - they were old and taken for other reasons and did not feel like recreating the map just for better screenshot purposes): And that also seems potentially harder to do with the test UI.  Just a ton more clicking involved.  That test really seemed focused on the simple use case where you have one map with a few tokens/effects. Now... - perhaps I *shouldn't* do this (I almost certainly shouldn't do this).  But it's currently an option and is way easier and more flexible than downloading everything I buy (if I even can) and then building maps in photoshop and then re-uploading them.  So, I suspect you may get a bit of pushback if you switch to the sort of UI you're testing without some sort of map builder tool as it might be seen as taking away or complicating some of the functionality we have now.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .