Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

One Thousand Bugged Sheets.. Now What?

The Pathfinder (Simple) are currently broken and there's no telling if the author will be able to fix it.  They simply changed their 'deadname' on their file, and poof, several of us have lost hundred if not thousands of hours of work.  For me, it's basically every bit of work I've ever done on Roll20 character sheets over 3 years.  GREAT.   Now what?  Those sheets don't translate to other sheets - all the information is lost when doing so.  Is there any way to re-create the sheet without losing information?  Do I need an old file from the author?  If I had some file would I be able to re-load an old version of the sheet?   I'm computer dumb and I don't know coding jargon or how to do much other than upload things, so I have never played with building a custom sheet.  Is there any easy fix that someone could walk me through?   If I have to start everything over, what Pathfinder sheets should I be using?  There really isn't another one that's easy to run 15 different NPC's off of a single monitor, so I know creation work and running games are going to be troubled by this.   I could use some suggestions.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Rocket J. said:   The Pathfinder (Simple) are currently broken and there's no telling if the author will be able to fix it.  They simply changed their 'deadname' on their file, and poof, several of us have lost hundred if not thousands of hours of work.  For me, it's basically every bit of work I've ever done on Roll20 character sheets over 3 years.  GREAT.   Now what?  Those sheets don't translate to other sheets - all the information is lost when doing so.  Is there any way to re-create the sheet without losing information?  Do I need an old file from the author?  If I had some file would I be able to re-load an old version of the sheet?   I'm computer dumb and I don't know coding jargon or how to do much other than upload things, so I have never played with building a custom sheet.  Is there any easy fix that someone could walk me through?   If I have to start everything over, what Pathfinder sheets should I be using?  There really isn't another one that's easy to run 15 different NPC's off of a single monitor, so I know creation work and running games are going to be troubled by this.   I could use some suggestions. Welcome to using a community sheet.  Anyone maintaining a sheet is supposed to keep the sheet.json file up to date with their current info (name/username and Roll20 user ID).  The author made a mistake and left off a line when making that update.  The sheet author has submitted a fix, which won't go live until the pull request has been merged into the repository and whatever is done on the backend to sync that with Roll20. This isn't a permanent problem, you just need to grow some patience.  They update the community repo once or twice a week, with Monday/Tuesday being the primary sync, though sometimes they also do it again later in the week.  At worst, you would need to wait until Tuesday for this to sort itself out. If you don't want to be patient, then you need to upgrade to a pro account to be able to use a custom character sheet.  If you do that, then you can take the various files from github, copy/paste them in to the fields of the sheet editor, make sure the legacy checkbox is filled, and you should be able to continue with the sheets you have been using. Or you can create a new game using a new sheet and rebuild you game using a different sheet.  It is totally up to you.  Keep in mind that everything outside the "Sheets by Roll20" and "Sheets by Publisher" sections of the sheet selection drop downs are all community created and maintained sheets. Sometimes mistakes happen.  If you can't handle that, get the pro subscription so you can make/maintain your own sheet. At the moment, you seem to be intent on piling as much of a guilt trip as possible on the sheet author who is honestly trying to get things fixed for you.

Edited 1655389800
I just haven't had any of this explained to me before.  Thanks for taking the time. Patience is fine!  I wasn't intent on piling guilt - I just want to reassure my 30+ players that our 2 year running weekly games are continuing, even if we have to miss this weekend's games. Thanks a bunch for the reassurance! -edit-  Also before any of this I had no idea the differences in the ownership of sheets and how all that worked, who supported them, or any of that.  I didn't even know what github was before this week.  I still have no idea what to look to figure out who owns and manages what when it comes to sheets, or what troubles can be caused by random things happening..