Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 Announces Partnership with DMsGuild!

Happy Monday! Roll20 is excited to announce we are partnering with OneBookShelf to bring DMsGuild content to Roll20! You can read more details in our blog post ! Details and timelines are still being sorted, but long story short: if you are a Roll20 Marketplace Creator and you also publish DMsGuild content, you will be able to make Roll20 Marketplace Products based on your DMs Guild content that can be unlocked for Roll20 users via a purchase on DMsGuild! If you publish on DMsGuild but are not yet a Roll20 Marketplace, we welcome you to get a jump start on things by applying to be a Roll20 Marketplace Creator ! And now for some FAQ! Who can participate? Roll20 Creators who sell DMsGuild content on OneBookShelf OneBookShelf Creators who would like to start providing access to their DMsGuild content on Roll20 What if I am not a current Roll20 Creator? Roll20 will assist OneBookShelf Creators with onboarding - click here to learn more ! How will the unlock work? In General: When a purchase is made on OneBookShelf, the purchaser will be provided the means to unlock the converted content over on Roll20. Will Royalty-Splitting be honored? Yes. Because purchases will be made on OneBookShelf, all existing royalty-splits within their system will be honored. Do I need to do anything special as an existing Roll20 Creator if I also want to release DMsGuild content on Roll20? We’ll have more information as it develops!
Excellent news! Roll20 is going from strength to strength! 
Very happy to see this.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Very good news!
Good news! Will we be able to link accounts then or will we get a code per purchase on DMSGuild for the marketplace here?
Thanks for all the excitement, y'all! We are very excited, too! TheMarkus1204 said: Good news! Will we be able to link accounts then or will we get a code per purchase on DMSGuild for the marketplace here? We are still working out the details on how this will work on the technical side, but we are looking to make it as seamless a user experience as possible. Stay tuned for more details!
Tintin_discord
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I have three adventures I wrote that are in DMs Guild. What happens when I have creatures in those modules that are not included in the free D&D rules? Can people who purchase from DMs Guild use creatures that are from other paid D&D books? The creatures I used were legally used according to the terms of Dungeon Craft WOTC rules. 
All of the content will be sold/purchased via DMsGuild - so if it's in your DMsGuild adventure, you can include it in the Roll20 conversion!
Will DMsGuild creators have the ability to make somewhat functional drag and drop compendiums, or will this be limited to handouts, maps and characters?
Matt Beck said: Will DMsGuild creators have the ability to make somewhat functional drag and drop compendiums, or will this be limited to handouts, maps and characters? We certainly would recommend folks who don't have experience converting content to Roll20 to start with modules/addon content, as it's a great starting point for new creators. DMsGuild creators will have the ability to build compendiums if appropriate for their content, but as with all Creators/Publishers on Roll20, it's a bit more complicated. There are a number of contractors/freelancers who have experience assisting Publishers with more complex conversions, and we'd be happy to recommend you to them!
There isn't any road map to having PDF versions of content / compendiums that were purchased in Roll20 is there?  (That would be super cool)
I ask that you seriously spend the effort to make sure the marketplace doesn't become overwhelming. Taking a look at the preview site it appears you are headed in the wrong direction. At a certain point there's just too much to look and scroll and sift through of such diverse nature, so I usually end up moving on to something/somewhere else. I just can't spend that much time finding what I need in a giant haystack of products. Same trap Netflix fell into with their UI. I am certain that all these product creators would rather their efforts not get lost in the noise, and instead be represented alongside similar products the consumer is actually interested in. Think of it as targeted ads within the scope of a single site. A very very robust search mechanism is required. The more things you are throwing at us at once, the more robust the search mechanism needs to be. Don't overlook the ability to exclude things from the search.

Edited 1657748309
If I have content I previously purchased on DMsGuild (over the last 5-6 years), will those items be available for me on Roll20 now?

Edited 1657749953
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Frimus Games said: If I have content I previously purchased on DMsGuild (over the last 5-6 years), will those items be available for me on Roll20 now? "Now"?  No.  The announcement said "soon" and "in the coming weeks", so whenever this is actually implemented they should be available.
Kraynic said: Frimus Games said: If I have content I previously purchased on DMsGuild (over the last 5-6 years), will those items be available for me on Roll20 now? "Now"?  No.  The announcement said "soon" and "in the coming weeks", so whenever this is actually implemented they should be available. Sorry, I mis-typed.  I should have asked if my content I purchased 5 years ago (that I still use btw) will be available on Roll20 once everything is set, or am I going to have to make some additional, but smaller, purchase for the Roll20 side of things?
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
I'm guessing this will be included as part of the more info to come. But I read through a few of the articles, and there was a lot of talk about how PDF's from drivethruRPG etc. will be included and available inside Roll20. Will dynamic lighting ready maps, etc. be made available directly through a drivethruRPG purchase? And if so, I assume that requires that the creator put the extra time in to make the conversion?  Thanks! Super excited about this.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
They don't mention any additional purchases being necessary.
Curtis T. said: I ask that you seriously spend the effort to make sure the marketplace doesn't become overwhelming. Thanks Curtis! These things are constantly on our mind as well. We continue to outgrow our previous solutions (a good problem to have, but no less frustrating). Working with OneBookShelf, who have decades of experience in marketplaces with hundreds of thousands of items, is going to be a real boon for us here. We've already been talking solutions internally, and their expertise is going to advance those conversations even further!
Frimus Games said: If I have content I previously purchased on DMsGuild (over the last 5-6 years), will those items be available for me on Roll20 now? One piece to keep in mind on DMsGuild -> Roll20 content is that this is all the choice of the publisher / creator. We'd like to help and incentivize all DMsGuild authors to produce Roll20 complimentary content, and offer seamless or fair upgrade paths. But these details are still being worked out, and we'll be working directly with the authors to make sure their wants and business needs are served. Keep on the lookout for info here as plans are further broken out!

Edited 1657807550
Dean
Roll20 Team
Daniel S. said: I'm guessing this will be included as part of the more info to come. But I read through a few of the articles, and there was a lot of talk about how PDF's from drivethruRPG etc. will be included and available inside Roll20. Will dynamic lighting ready maps, etc. be made available directly through a drivethruRPG purchase? And if so, I assume that requires that the creator put the extra time in to make the conversion?  Thanks! Super excited about this. Thanks for the comments Daniel. My post above is also relevant here. We are working with publishers and creators on exploring the best Roll20 upgrade paths for them, and seeing how we can help them facilitate an expanded VTT market / use-case. 
I hope that this change comes with a robust overhaul of the marketplace system. It already takes over a minute for me to view my marketplace items here. I have over 150 Dungeon Masters Guild titles that may now be added to this collection (and perhaps 600 more from DTRPG?).
The majority of what I use from Drive Through RPG on Roll20 are map assets and graphic files typically in .jpeg form.  I guess being able to link in rule books and other pdf assets might be useful.  But being able to add the graphic files to my art library without having to first download them locally and upload them to Roll20 would be the item of most immediate benefit for me.  One I would find highly useful.  And not having those files count against my storage quota would be even better.  All of the discussion provided so far talks about being able to add .pdf files to Roll20.  Will graphic files be supported or is this .pdf only?  Trying to decide how much I should care about this.  
Any plans for a similar partnership with Beyond by any chance?