Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Player Tokens: Allow players to change tokens

Edited 1560054636
Currently the GM has to do all the work of changing PC tokens or modifying token info (name, etc). Please give the option to GMs to allow players to: change the image used for their token flip/mirror the image used for their token modify the token label/name (separate from the Name slot on the character sheet) (NOTE: this references long character names that are unwieldy as a token label and on the initiative tracker. I don't want to have to lop off my nickname/surname/clan name/etc from my sheet in the name of clutter avoidance.) This GM option should be on a per-character basis, and also configurable via the default settings to apply to all sheets.
Sounds reasonable to meeeeeee
Please, Devs. We'd love to see this.
+1
Bump for visibility. As an addition to the scenarios listed already, this would help out greatly for players of characters who can shapeshifter or otherwise take on different appearances.
As a workaround you can make rollable tokens for players.  I have rollable tokens for my ranger with cloak of the bat so that the image can be changed without moving or modifying the token.  Same for shapeshifter NPC's.
Yes please!
Another useful bit of this would be the ability to change the token size.  It is very annoying as a player to have to ask the GM frequently, "can you make my character large?  I just used my growth ability/spell/power, etc."  
all of the above
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
I'll also suggest the ability to assign attributes to the different bars issuing the drop-down menus. 
I'll +1 this and Stephen's addition in particular.

Edited 1564548721
Jesse
Plus
As a player, if you click your token and then the cog, you can edit your token name right there.  I frequently delete mine entirely because I don't want to see it under my token.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
While it's true that #3 can be done right now, 1 and 2 are still good reasons to upvote. As well as my suggestion above.
I was just about to post this.  This is something I have been looking for for awhile.
+1
It's just a shame I can't give this a +2
+1
+1
Hooray for not grinding the whole game to a halt when I ask the question "are your characters going to be mounted or unmounted?"
Yes!  it is so weird to me that the GM can edit a certain image field on my character sheet, but I can't.
+1
+1. I hate continually asking my (multiple) DMs to delete my character and assign a newly imported character sheet to me just because I wanted to update my Default Token image. And even just to do that, I had to buy a subscription.
+1

Edited 1596608707
+1 I really dislike having to manage everyone's tokens.
+1 - have players be able to set their own vision etc...
There is a WildShape API available which can be used by a player to change their token in D&D 5E. I think it can be used for any polymorph.
Mark. S said: +1 - have players be able to set their own vision etc... If that is to be implemented, there has to be toggle to turn that ability off. I will not trust my players to access their vision settings.
Farling said: There is a WildShape API available which can be used by a player to change their token in D&D 5E. I think it can be used for any polymorph. This should be part of the base app, not a separate API. That's what I'm asking for.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
This is still a good idea, and something that I don't think would be too hard to implement.

Edited 1600453645
+1; this needs to happen.  Specifically I'd like to be able to allow players to: 1. change images used for tokens 2. flip/mirror the tokens 3. set tokens to "back" or "front" (so players can prevent spell template tokens from covering up the targets and use PC tokens on top of mounts) 4. resize tokens 5. delete tokens
+1 why is this not a thing yet? Wtf
+1 I just went to the trouble of setting up player tokens with the generic token art prior to our first session... And then realized when the players ask for whatever artwork they want to have for their characters that I will have to redo all of the character linking and view permissions for every PC token.
Technically, they can upload a token image to the picture slot on their Bio tab in the character sheet.  Then they can drag their *name* from the journal list to the map and it will drop that image as their token no relinking required, but then their Bio image is a round token and many folks don't like that.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
And then the player can change it back to a proper portrait. But if you ever have to update the token, you'll have to redo those steps.
A lot of these suggestions create different problems for the DM: Players can change their own vision - can be used to cheat Players set their own linked bars/colored circles - I use these already to do things like making sure every player can see health and knows who needs healing.  If players can mess these up, it's more work for me to fix it.  To be clear, players CAN already mess with these, they just can't save the changes to their default token. Players can modify the token name.  This doesn't sound like it would create a problem, but a lot of players use very very long names, and that overlaps with nearby token names...so I frequently need to reduce this to a first name or nickname.  I do this as part of my 'routine' when I set up a new player token with vision.  This has got to be the least annoying part of setting up a token.  Having to click 'show name' in two different places on two different tabs to get that to display for everyone....yeah that's the fussy part. The concern here is if you enable these, you'd need settings so that DM's can disallow them. These would just be overall good for players to have and I don't see DM issues: Players can delete tokens off of a map (frequently if they drag it on twice and need to ask for help) Players need to resize their token (Enlarge/Shapechange) Updating a Token Image: Frankly, I would be delighted to be able to do this as a DM.  (without redoing all of the settings)  I'm okay letting players do that as well. While We are Talking about Rollable/Flippable Tokens... I don't care if players can do this themselves if I could just do this with an integrated functionbot instead of manually creating this from start to finish.  I know how to - but it's time-consuming and I have to remember/remind myself of the process every time.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Valys said: A lot of these suggestions create different problems for the DM: Players set their own linked bars/colored circles - I use these already to do things like making sure every player can see health and knows who needs healing.  If players can mess these up, it's more work for me to fix it.  To be clear, players CAN already mess with these, they just can't save the changes to their default token. Players can modify the token name.  This doesn't sound like it would create a problem, but a lot of players use very very long names, and that overlaps with nearby token names...so I frequently need to reduce this to a first name or nickname.  I do this as part of my 'routine' when I set up a new player token with vision.  This has got to be the least annoying part of setting up a token.  Having to click 'show name' in two different places on two different tabs to get that to display for everyone....yeah that's the fussy part. The concern here is if you enable these, you'd need settings so that DM's can disallow them. These are issues with players being disruptive. You could make the same arguments for the drawing tools, saying that by not restricting them to GMs only, you're opening the door for players to draw dicks on the battle maps. But in most cases, this isn't an issue, and giving players a little bit of power and trust far outweighs the risks of what the players might do.
Stephen C. said: Valys said: A lot of these suggestions create different problems for the DM: Players set their own linked bars/colored circles - I use these already to do things like making sure every player can see health and knows who needs healing.  If players can mess these up, it's more work for me to fix it.  To be clear, players CAN already mess with these, they just can't save the changes to their default token. Players can modify the token name.  This doesn't sound like it would create a problem, but a lot of players use very very long names, and that overlaps with nearby token names...so I frequently need to reduce this to a first name or nickname.  I do this as part of my 'routine' when I set up a new player token with vision.  This has got to be the least annoying part of setting up a token.  Having to click 'show name' in two different places on two different tabs to get that to display for everyone....yeah that's the fussy part. The concern here is if you enable these, you'd need settings so that DM's can disallow them. These are issues with players being disruptive. You could make the same arguments for the drawing tools, saying that by not restricting them to GMs only, you're opening the door for players to draw dicks on the battle maps. But in most cases, this isn't an issue, and giving players a little bit of power and trust far outweighs the risks of what the players might do. Will have to agree... I am pretty sure players can learn to do their own health and such.  They should be able to save it, because that honestly just makes it easier for a GM. The name issue.. I have seen crazy long noble names... but I feel like a lot of those characters are 'troll' characters.  At least from my experience.  As I wouldn't probably have them in the game, unless they simplified their name to the main one. And with the cheating?  Uh.  You will know first of all, and that is an easy way to find out and have a talking to, or kick someone from your game.  You can cheat already in the game with various things, just sounds like hogwash to me as an excuse not to use such a good feature.
I can't tell how to vote for this, but +10. Would love to be able to make updates to my token without needing to annoy my DM
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Yeah, non of the arguments against this suggestion related to players being disruptive apply at all, as Daeva said. If/when this is implemented, it would make sense to make it a toggle for the GM to choose between the current situation, and the extended token privileges to players, if we don't want to rock the boat. Wonder if APIs could be used for getting around this issue for players.
It is so much easier for players to have access to modify or change their tokens... Size... values... auras etc. Saying this as a DM and Player.
I'm playing a shapeshifter. I hate needing to stop the game when I assume a new form. If you don't trust your players not to abuse token editing how the hell do you trust them to do anything?
At the risk of torpedoing this feature request, I have already moved on from Roll20 to Foundry. Foundry natively supports this (as well as many other nice features that Roll20 doesn't do). I truly hope Roll20 implements this feature, but their inaction on this and many other user-impacting issues has lost my business.
Shane said: As a workaround you can make rollable tokens for players.  I have rollable tokens for my ranger with cloak of the bat so that the image can be changed without moving or modifying the token.  Same for shapeshifter NPC's. This sounds amazing, how did you set this up on a player sheet?

Edited 1617558039
Jsamue said: This sounds amazing, how did you set this up on a player sheet? It is not set up on the sheet; it is set on the token. See the Help Center here: <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360039178754-Collections#Collections-CreatingaRollableTableToken" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360039178754-Collections#Collections-CreatingaRollableTableToken</a> for details on making rollable table tokens.
Yes please get it done.
I still want this, idk if it got a response.
Yes please, +1

Edited 1630126870
Jsamue said: This sounds amazing, how did you set this up on a player sheet? As Rabulias said, this is do-able. But to clarify, it is done by using a Rollable Table (found in the same area as the Decks), and using it as a character token. Simply do the following: 1. Create a new Rollable Table. 2. Make sure "Players can roll from table?" is checked. 3. Add an item to the table for each different image you want the player to have access to. Number them in sequence, or name them (numbering them allows them to be randomized). 4. Set a token image to each item. 5. Place the token in the playable area using the "Token" button. 6. Select the token. Open/Edit the player's character sheet, and set this table token as their token. At this point you can drag their character token into play at will, just as with any token associated with a character sheet (you'll probably want to mess with the token settings to reflect a player token as you want it; if you change the token settings, be sure to switch the token associated with the character sheet to the newly edited token). Your player should now be able to select the image they want from the options you added. They can select them specifically or randomize them. Below I am including an example snapshot of me creating just this kind of token for a wereboar. Note the human form (#1) and the Boar form (#2). With all this said, I still support allowing players to change the image of a token, as I would very much like for them to be able to do this all themselves. The approach above is kind of a kludge, and a bit time-consuming for the Game Master.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Workaround: Using TokenMod API Pro users can install the TokenMod API, which allows players to update their tokens in many ways, and updating the image is just one of them. Example: Setting the token image to a library image using an URL (in this case, the orange ring Aaron uses for TurnMarker1): !token-mod --set imgsrc|<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/4095816/086YSl3v0Kz3SlDAu245Vg/max.png?1400535580" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/4095816/086YSl3v0Kz3SlDAu245Vg/max.png?1400535580</a> Setting the token image from another token by specifying it's token_id: !token-mod --set imgsrc|@{target|token_id} --ids @{selected|token_id} Handy for players to update their token image themselves, while still keeping the token's other settings. You can then run !token-mod --set defaulttoken to update the character's default token . Multi-Sided Token Example : You can append additional images to the list of sides by prefacing the source of an image with + : !token-mod --set imgsrc|+<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/4095816/086YSl3v0Kz3SlDAu245Vg/max.png?1400535580" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/4095816/086YSl3v0Kz3SlDAu245Vg/max.png?1400535580</a> More examples for Multi-Sided can be found in the "Help:Token Mod"-handout in-game.
+1 For those afraid of losing control as a DM, I can totally understand wanting to maintain control. However, for me this is also a form of player agency and I want to have the ability to do a certain amount on my own, and not have to bug the DM with it. I find that DMs who want so much control over this type tend towards being control freaks or don't understand what is happening on the player side. It's perhaps from bad experiences with people in the past, but I get tired of being "punished" because of what other people do. Players who ignore your wishes are probably ignoring them in other ways as well. You can take away their edit abilities, right? One possible thing is for the game settings to have 2-3 levels of player control and let the DM set that level, but it would have to include what it includes and you'd have to pick the best one. The side effect of that is confusing players going from one game to another and not understanding what they can do. I have certain characters set up in my own "game" (a test game), can change things there, and then import into the vault to have them available, but they don't always get exported into a new game the same way I had them. If everything works fine then I can already have it set how I want it.
Though I don't think this should be a mandatory change that applies to all games, giving DMs the option to grant players more token editing rights would help streamline the process for everyone. Especially in games where the DM is new, or new to roll20, and some/all of the players aren't. In addition to those described in the OP, I'd like to see players get the following options for tokens they have control over: Change the size of the token Set a token as representing a character Link a token bar to a character sheet attribute Set visibility of names, auras, and bars (for other players) Save tokens as default for a character