Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Player Tokens: Allow players to change tokens

I have some players that would love to have multiple token images - one for each set of weapons.  Just being able to cycle through a set of tokens as a player would be great. +1
This is EXACTLY the sort of thing I would love to see implemented!  And you described it far better than I did in my own topic. You definitely get my +1 for this.

Edited 1660758394
Have you looked into using rollable tables?  Creating a Rollable Table Token   Here's a link to a video:  Making a Rollable Token Once you've created th erollable token, link it to the character sheet. The player will then be able to right-click on the token and chose the graphic from those that you put in the rollable table. If you later add images, you'll have to re-link the new token.

Edited 1660764621
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Rick A. said: Have you looked into using rollable tables?  Creating a Rollable Table Token   Here's a link to a video:  Making a Rollable Token Once you've created th erollable token, link it to the character sheet. The player will then be able to right-click on the token and chose the graphic from those that you put in the rollable table. If you later add images, you'll have to re-link the new token. You obviously do not understand the fundamental issue here. This is not a helpful suggestion.  This entire topic is about letting   the player  control their own token.   Creating a rollable table token is something that only the GM can do, and requires more setup time. Here's an example of how this suggestion would play out in a campaign: A GM starts a new campaign and sets up character sheets for the players. The players begin setting up their character sheets. As things are right now, the GM has to set up the tokens. If this suggestion went through, then the players could set up their tokens, including having a separate image for their token and for their character avatar, all without involving the GM in that process. They wouldn't need to message them and say "Here is the image for my token" or "Let me know when you've set up my token so that I can change the image of my avatar to the full picture of my character." If a player wants to change their character art when a campaign is already underway, they don't have to get the GM do that for them. They just do it themselves.

Edited 1660769479
Stephen C. said: You obviously do not understand the fundamental issue here. This is not a helpful suggestion.  This entire topic is about letting   the player  control their own token.   Creating a rollable table token is something that only the GM can do, and requires more setup time. Apologies for the misunderstanding. When I went to read this thread, I only saw this last page and the two messages that preceded mine. I did not go back to read the first page of posts on this topic. The topic title is "Allow players to change tokens", not "... create tokens"
+1,
+1, I would absolutely love this both as a GM and as a player And if the concern is giving players too much control, then honestly I wouldn't be too concerned about that as long as token control is only turned on for the GM by default and has to be added to a player to give them access.
Rick A. said: Stephen C. said: You obviously do not understand the fundamental issue here. This is not a helpful suggestion.  This entire topic is about letting   the player  control their own token.   Creating a rollable table token is something that only the GM can do, and requires more setup time. Apologies for the misunderstanding. When I went to read this thread, I only saw this last page and the two messages that preceded mine. I did not go back to read the first page of posts on this topic. The topic title is "Allow players to change tokens", not "... create tokens" There's nothing wrong with suggesting kludge fixes until the feature is added. And tables are a reasonable (if tedious for the GM) kludge solution to the main issue, which is the ability of the players to change their token image. The problem is that it requires the GM to do all the work. What would be nice, for example, is for the game master to assign a pre-made token to a new character for the time being, but for the player to be able to adjust the image of that token to be something more to their liking. The Game Master can always kick the offending player if they use an image that is inappropriate or offensive. As for the player creating a token, I think that would have to be limited to their player token (e.g., the token that is the default token for the character). Interestingly, I think this might be do-able with API , if someone took the time to script it (API can edit the properties of an object, which includes the default token). Essentially a chat command could be created that would change the character's default token image. Then it's just a matter of dragging it out onto the play area. Interesting thought. But I have way too many projects of my own to work on that right now.
Giving this a bump for visibility because honestly, I see no reason why we should have to rely on "Kludge fixes" forever.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
The whole point of the topic is that we don't want a "kludge fix." I'm pretty sure that the normal way of doing things is quite apparent for anyone with passing familiarity with how Roll20 works. But it could be better.

Edited 1663949439
Carlos S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Hi everyone! This week we released an update allowing players to control their character's token image and default settings. Since this covers the main request of letting players set their tokens, we'll be closing out this suggestion, enabling you to contribute your votes to other suggestions. There were a lot of additional suggestions woven into this thread. Please feel free to open up new suggestions threads for those other suggestions so we can prioritize them appropriately.