Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Make PC attacks look like NPC attacks

Ok, I have a custom NPC creature I made, and used a regular character sheet for him because he is a special NPC. But I don't want the players to know when they meet him for the first time that he is a special character and not a regular monster. When he attacks, the way the attack is formatted gives it away instantly. Is there a way to format the way the attack appears using a macro so it looks like a regular NPC/monster attack? The top is how the character attacks look. The bottom is how an NPC attack looks, that's how I want it to look. Thanks.
I think that if you go to the cog wheel on your pc sheet, you can tick the "npc" box and it will switch the sheet to a noc sheet, and thus the attacks will look like ones of a regular npc.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Make attack macros using the npcatk template &{template:npcatk} {{attack=1}} {{name=name}} {{rname=rname}} {{rnamec=rnamec}} {{r1=r1}} {{always=1}} {{r2=r2}} {{description=description}}
Lionel V. said: I think that if you go to the cog wheel on your pc sheet, you can tick the "npc" box and it will switch the sheet to a noc sheet, and thus the attacks will look like ones of a regular npc. No, that checkbox only exists on the NPC sheet, not on character sheets. Plus, I don't want to change the character into an NPC, I just want to change how his attacks appear in chat.
David M. said: Make attack macros using the npcatk template &{template:npcatk} {{attack=1}} {{name=name}} {{rname=rname}} {{rnamec=rnamec}} {{r1=r1}} {{always=1}} {{r2=r2}} {{description=description}} That's more like what I was looking for. What do the variable names mean? What do I put in rname, rnamec, etc?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Aelanna! The link that David gave has full documentation. You'll need to scroll up a bit on that page.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
What Keith said :).  Note that many of the fields defined by {{...}} are optional. For example, you could remove the name field if you don't want spoilers of the npc name. Description is another common one. You can play around with what you want included. If your sheets do not auto-roll damage, then the npcatk template should prob be used. Example: &{template:npcatk} {{attack=1}} {{name=Character name goes here}} {{rname=Bite}} {{r1=[[1d20+@{selected|strength_mod}]]}} {{always=1}} {{r2=[[1d20+@{selected|strength_mod}]]}} {{description=This attack bites!}} If you have your sheets set up to auto-roll damage, then you would probably want the npcaction template. Example: &{template:npcaction} {{attack=1}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{name=Character name goes here}} {{rname=Bite}} {{r1=[[1d20+@{selected|strength_mod}]]}} {{always=1}} {{r2=[[1d20+@{selected|strength_mod}]]}} {{dmg1=[[1d8+@{selected|strength_mod}]]}} {{dmg1type=piercing}} {{crit1=[[1d8]]}} {{description=This attack bites!}}
Awesome! Thanks, guys, I'll play around with this today and see if I can get it set right.