Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Accidentally double-clicking on the "Chat" tab is nearly impossible to not do, then it won't pop back in, so I have to reload every time.

Every time I go to click on the "Chat" tab, it thinks I double-click on it and the Chat tab pops out. Then I have to reload the entire roll20 game because it won't pop back in. Please make a checkbox option in settings to disable pop-out on double-click on things like Chat.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Lux! This is not a commonly reported issue, and I have almost never experienced this personally*. Is it possible that the mouse (or whatever pointing device you are using) settings are set to be more sensitive to a double click than usual? Is this a setting you have control over? *I mean accidental popout. The inability of chat to re-engage is long-standing and very annoying. Fortunately, lazy loading has drastically reduced the amount of time for a reload. Although this does not work for Chat and other popout tabs, if you experience this with handouts or character sheets, you can usually re-engage them without reloading the game by reloading the popout itself.
I did get a new mouse recently, but there's no option to turn down the click sensitivity anywhere I can find--how can I turn down "the button has a hair trigger?" This has been a problem since before the new mouse though. It's to do with how laggy roll20 is, I think. Even if I click once, the service is stuttering so hard that 1 click looks like more than 1? IDK. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I could help you where to look for settings on a Mac, but not on other platforms, unfortunately. If you are on a Mac, it's in the System Preferences on the Mouse pane. If you are on another system, and you identify it, someone more familiar with that OS might be able to answer. Also, it is my understanding (and I just double-checked with some people a lot more knowledgable than me) that the mouse sends a double-click event . It's a client-side (OS) interpretation of the mouse behavior. Two clicks are not interpreted as a double click by the remote end. That's why you can set the sensitivity with a driver setting. Roll20 would receive a click event or a double-click event, but wouldn't mistake one for the other, regardless of connection quality.

Edited 1660850409
Gauss
Forum Champion
Lux said: I did get a new mouse recently, but there's no option to turn down the click sensitivity anywhere I can find--how can I turn down "the button has a hair trigger?" This has been a problem since before the new mouse though. It's to do with how laggy roll20 is, I think. Even if I click once, the service is stuttering so hard that 1 click looks like more than 1? IDK.  What brand and model of mouse are you using? Also, regarding laggy, that sounds like it needs troubleshooting. Is your game using Explorer Mode? Dynamic Lighting? Are you the DM?
I've also had this problem for a few years now with R20, and wouldn't attribute it to be entirely a mouse issue. that being said, i would very agree with a disable chat popups function. Or even just a way to return the popped out chat window back into it's socket. As it's a huge frustation when i have to reload the page and thus lose all my opened sheets/windows.
I haven't run into this problem and have no solution, but maybe enabling the "advanced keyboard shortcuts" for the campaign will offer some relief. Instead of clicking on the chat tab, with the advanced shortcuts you can type "c" to activate the chat tab. Another "c" puts the cursor in the chat box. 
workarounds work too, thanks