Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Crosshair selection cursor disappears after switching layers

As of a day or so ago, I'm experiencing a problem where my selection cursor stops showing a crosshair. It took me a while to figure out why this was happening, but I've got it down now.  I'm a GM, and I have items and objects to shuffle around on my map or GM layer. But as soon as I toggle to it and back to the game layer, my cursor won't change back into a crosshair when mouse I over over something interactable (like a token). It stays an arrow. This happens for every item on the game layer. Now, I can still select objects and move them around, I just don't get the visual cue of the crosshair. And after I move an object around and release it, the crosshair comes back, but only for that object. If I refresh the page, everything's fine (until I switch layers). Is this happening for anyone else? 
Yes; it's happening for me. Firefox 104.0, MacOS Catalina 10.15.7, no extensions. Also noted by Jay in this thread: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11056136/cant-upload-images-to-the-vtt-anymore-by-drag-and-drop" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11056136/cant-upload-images-to-the-vtt-anymore-by-drag-and-drop</a>
Gauss
Forum Champion
Do you have reproduction steps we could follow? Might help track this one down.&nbsp;
Sure. It's very simple. Go into a map and verify that, on the object layer, you see a crosshair over a token. Then, switch to GM layer and click somewhere (or move a piece on the GM layer). Then, flip back to the object layer. If you're like me, the crosshair will be gone even when you hover over that same token.&nbsp; Thanks for looking into it!
Gauss
Forum Champion
Well that is repeatable. Confirmed :) @Sarah R. Cohen, is that what you are experiencing?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Very odd. I can also reproduce this, but the crosshair cursor eventually returns. If I move a token afterward, click somewhere else and then hover over the token again, the crosshairs are back.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Even weirder, it appears to be a per token behavior. If I "clear" one by moving it and reselecting, the cross hairs reappear for that token. But only that token. Each one must be "cleared" individually. I can see how this would be annoying, particularly for setups where you are not always sure what layer a token was on, but it's fortunately not removing any functionality, just degrading the interface (i.e. the game is still playable if and until they fix it)
@Gauss: Yes. My experience is the same as that of camelotcrusade and keithcurtis.
Thanks for continuing to research this, everyone. It's still happening for me, but hopefully roll20 can get to the bottom of it. Do we know if tech support has it on their radar?
Happening the same here. You'd think it's minor, but it really does throw me off and make token/image selection harder.
Same.&nbsp; I was messing with Strahd for the game today and was perplexed as to why the crosshairs had vanished.&nbsp; The game is playable, but it's annoying and hopefully fixed soon.&nbsp;

Edited 1661737088
Same thing... I was working on my campaign for tomorrow night's game session, and the cursor behavior is whack. I can still do what I need to do, but it's no longer intuitive.

Edited 1661763189
Same for me. I can hover over the tokens all I want, there is NO visual clue I can click on / interact with them! This needs to be fixed ASAP cause it is REALLY annoying! It happens btw. on every layer I am on... (and definitely came with the recent Update for token bars!) EDIT: Seems to be fixed! EDIT: STILL NOT fixed. It works sometimes but it is seemingly RANDOM!
You guys working on fixing it?&nbsp; It's super annoying.&nbsp; I didn't realize how important that crosshair was until it vanished.&nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
Just a note folks, while the forums are great for identifying bugs, they are not where the Devs want information sent to actually report the bugs. They prefer bug reports via the help center.&nbsp; With that said, I have forwarded the information to the Devs. Perhaps you will want to do the same via the help center.&nbsp;
It'd be even better to submit a request via Roll20 Product Portal and just linking the thread that has informations on it as it is not possible to upload any images there... Gauss said: Just a note folks, while the forums are great for identifying bugs, they are not where the Devs want information sent to actually report the bugs. They prefer bug reports via the help center.&nbsp; With that said, I have forwarded the information to the Devs. Perhaps you will want to do the same via the help center.&nbsp;
Have you guys heard anything back? It's still happening for me.
It is still happening.&nbsp; Are they actively working on it?&nbsp;

Edited 1666723558
Jay
Pro
Bump to say this is still happening to me. I've submitted a bug report.
For me as well (both Chrome and Firefox), but I gave up complaining about it. Jay said: Bump to say this is still happening to me. I've submitted a bug report.
Same here, on both accounts. Thanks for putting in a bug report, Jay.