Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

TIP - Finally made a "small" token that can appear on the map, centered in the square.

Edited 1662915074
Scott
Plus
Hey all, I just thought I'd share - I finally sorted out how to craft a token that can appear smaller than other tokens (for small characters etc), yet remain a "token" and not setting it with "Is Drawing" in order to size it smaller.  The tokens appear in the centre of the square.  No PRO account required, but it takes a bit of extra work to set it up when crafting the token itself. Here's how I did it (Using Paint3D on Windows10). Craft your token normally (like many I use token tool and borrow images I found online, or get my players to find an image they like etc.). Once you have the PNG file created by Token tool with preferred border etc, but the nice round shape as the rest of the "square" is transparent, we need to use Paint3D to Resize the image. Open the file in Paint3D. Click Canvas at the TOP of the application. On the right side, Under the Resize Canvas section - make sure that Lock aspect ratio and Resize image with canvas are selected. Also make sure that you have "Transparent canvas" set to On in the "Canvas" section. [My starting image dimensions are 256x256 Pixels] Easiest to just click in and set 128px on one of those boxes and it will resize the image and canvas to the smaller size. Click "Select" From the top of the app, just below the "Menu" option. Hit CTRL-A to select the entire image Hit CTRL-C to copy the image to your clip board. Re-open the original image file in Paint3D (choosing not to save any changes made so far if Prompted). Hit CTRL-A to select this larger image. Hit DEL key to delete it. Hit CTRL-V to paste your saved image (It should paste the smaller image from your clipboard, dead centre of the canvas. Now you just need to save the new file. Click Menu -> Save as Click Image Save the image with the file name you disire (I usually use original filename with _SMALL appended to it). Make sure you are saving as 2D - PNG (*.png).  The save window should show this under "Save as type:" before you click save. If it does not say that, use the drop down to choose that type.  (PNG type is required to preserve the transparency of the token. From there just upload this file to Roll20 and create a token as you normally would. You should have smaller token with desired transparency around it.  It is in effect a full size token, but the token image will appear smaller and it will be evident that said character is small and not a medium creature. Tadaaa! I was excited to figure this out as I could not do with with say token tool which would just size up the image with lower resolution if I tried to shrink it that way. (Sorry for lack of screen shots, I don't have the patience to make that work in this forum system).

Edited 1662854380
This is called Padding. In Photoshop, all you need do is grab one of the corner handles of an existing token and resize it using shift-alt to shrink it in place, then save as a PNG. As the Canvas size stayed the same, voila, you have a token with transparent padding. 
Requires you to get Photoshop though... :)
Token Stamp  can do this with a simple adjustment to the Scale button.
Scott said: Requires you to get Photoshop though... :) Or Gimp, which is free.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Although this is a well-known and documented technique (it's how Tiny tokens are handled in Roll20 modules, for instance), I don't think it is in the  Tips n Tricks  thread. It would be a good addition there, along with some of the other ways of achieving it listed here. Scott, you should feel free to add it to that thread.
You just need to click resize canvas, then set it to 512x512 (assuming an original token size of 256x256), and of course set the resizing as centered. Click ok, then use the wand to delete the extra white, then save. Takes under 30s of extra work.

Edited 1662925344
Scott
Plus
@Keithcurtis - Will Do. @Teller - I always found Gimp annoying to use, but use what works for you of course.  The posted method would work for anyone with a Windows10 PC since it's just Paint3D. @Neo - I thought there might be an easier way to do it - thanks for sharing that.  I sometimes have difficulty with the wand to get it to remove what I do / don't want so I think my method makes me happier.  It's really not that slow once you get it down.
Scott said: @Neo - I thought there might be an easier way to do it - thanks for sharing that.  I sometimes have difficulty with the wand to get it to remove what I do / don't want so I think my method makes me happier.  It's really not that slow once you get it down. I've known a few Ladies who enjoy playing with toys, so for me using the magic wand is like a second nature *Giggle* I get what you mean though. It really comes down with what you're comfortable with ;oP