Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic lighting screwed up?

On a page that has Dynamic Lighting turned on:  - A token for a player with vision, but no night vision, can see everything but in "dim light" that looks kind of greenish - A token for a player with night vision, set to nocturnal can see everything as if in "bright light", regardless of the setting of the tint color. Image
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Saul! From the screen shot it looks like light is being emitted from the center. Two possibilities to check: If that sarcophagus is an object, see if it is emitting light. Check to see if the image for the map itself is emitting light. In all cases, check any vision or light for tints and turn the tints off. I don't recommend that feature.
Dammit. Turns out there was a torch emitting light that had been shrunk down very, very, very, small so that it was invisible. It was only by going into the Dynamic Lighting layer, and hovering around with the mouse that I happened to find it. That's what was causing the strange effect.  Ugh.  As for tinting - I've been using the tinting for a while now and I haven't had problems with it. I use it because without it, there is no darkness, no shading, for player characters that have darkvision. They see everything in the room as if it were bright light which is *wrong*. It should be "dim light" and I can only get that effect by using the tinting. As I said, it seems to work for me and my game...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Nocturnal does not give dim vision? It should provide dim vision unless dim light already exists in the area, which it brightens to bright. And if tinting is working for you, that's cool. It might be fine if each person has their own tinted vision. But when tints overlap is where tints get wonky. If there is only individual tinted vision and not intersecting tinted light, it should be fine, so long as overlapping tinted visions aren't making an issue for the GM.
Nocturnal, without any tinting, narrows the field of vision to the limit set for the distance of the night vision, but the area within that distance is seen as "bright light", not "dim light". I use one of the grey tints to make it "dim light". This seems to work fine. Where I have problems is where one or more of the players (whose characters don't have night vision) have light sources. The light sources overlap creating really bright areas where I can't see anything but white. So, it's not the tinting that causes me problems it's the overlapping light sources.  But, I manage because it's all about giving the players the right experience... FWIW, I've seen games on other VTTs. They don't have this problem. It's the way Roll20 implements lighting (and colors) that is the problem. keithcurtis said: Nocturnal does not give dim vision? It should provide dim vision unless dim light already exists in the area, which it brightens to bright. And if tinting is working for you, that's cool. It might be fine if each person has their own tinted vision. But when tints overlap is where tints get wonky. If there is only individual tinted vision and not intersecting tinted light, it should be fine, so long as overlapping tinted visions aren't making an issue for the GM.