Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Script not counting ammo and spells in chat

I put this under the character sheet thread, but I've been advised to add it here instead, as it was an official script to go with the character sheet i wasn't quite sure on the best place. Previously when using the 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion  script in conjunction with this sheet with the Ammo option turn on when you used a resource, or cast a spell the number of remaining resources or spell slots would show up in chat after the spell or attack roll. Currently this is not happening.  The resources and spell slots are being removed and you can see this if you check the character sheet, but the count is not showing in chat.  Nor does it inform you if you have run out of resources or spell slots after the attack or spell has been done. Other information Browser,  Tried on both Chrome and Firefox with the same result. Extentions:  Stylus is normally installed but the problem exists whether the styles are active or not. Talk to Myself is turn off. The APIs are running, I check using APIHeartBeat script as well as having just restarted the sandbox in case of invisible errors. On the Character Sheet the Ammo tracking is ticked On on the Setting Page and ammo is set up correctly in the attacks.  It still  counts the arrows or spells off the character sheet, it just doesn't tell me in the chat pane I've tried turning the Ammo Tracking to Off on the Settings page and using the !Ammotracking On command, this will activate ammo tracking but still does not show anything in chat.  I have also tried the other commands to turn it off and on again, and to set it to player or to quiet and while it will turn off and on using the commands, nothing seems to make it appear in chat.  it is as if it is permanently set to Quiet, with no way to turn it to show n chat again.
I can confirm, your findings. I found that this script has not been updated in the last two years. We can only hope that one of the script expert can look at it and update the script.
I just tested today and is working again.
I'll have to check again later.  I finished a game a couple of hours ago and it wasn't working then, but may have been fixed in the mean time.  I really hope so, i've another game tomorrow morning.
Odd, I just tested it and it isnt' working for me.
I just did a test, what kind of spellcaster your using. On my test I have a Warlock and a Cleric all spells for Cleric are working fine. My Warlock is the only one that does not show how many spells are available.
Just a though, but check to make sure ammo tracking is selected as on for the sheet, if it is switch then change it back see if that fixes it.
I am getting more and more confused. I've tried it with a Cleric, a Druid, a Wizard and a Ranger. I tried turning it off and on again on the sheet I've tried turning it off and on again using the !ammotracking command.   I've also disabled the Concentration API in case that was interferring. None of which made any difference. I've tried using the '!ammotracking player' command to try and make it show for the player and myself, which worked for ammo, but not for spells.  The message in chat also looked very different to how it used to look. Looking at it from a none programmer view point.  It seems like there are two mods rolled into one.  The one that is connected to the sheet and which uses the On or Off option on the settings page, and one that just tracks resources such as arrows and is activated by yhe !ammotracking commands (using the Ammotracking commands doesn't effect the toggle on the character sheet).  The first doesn't appear to be working, while the second one does. I have another game tomorrow morning, so i see what happens then, and then a quiet weekend to really play about and see if i can work anything out with it assuming it doesn't get solved in the mean time.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Oenanthe said: I am getting more and more confused. I've tried it with a Cleric, a Druid, a Wizard and a Ranger. I tried turning it off and on again on the sheet I've tried turning it off and on again using the !ammotracking command.   I've also disabled the Concentration API in case that was interferring. None of which made any difference. I've tried using the '!ammotracking player' command to try and make it show for the player and myself, which worked for ammo, but not for spells.  The message in chat also looked very different to how it used to look. Looking at it from a none programmer view point.  It seems like there are two mods rolled into one.  The one that is connected to the sheet and which uses the On or Off option on the settings page, and one that just tracks resources such as arrows and is activated by yhe !ammotracking commands (using the Ammotracking commands doesn't effect the toggle on the character sheet).  The first doesn't appear to be working, while the second one does. I have another game tomorrow morning, so i see what happens then, and then a quiet weekend to really play about and see if i can work anything out with it assuming it doesn't get solved in the mean time. Please send me an invite to your game, I will come take a look to see if I can spot what might be going on. 
It's working for me, have you tried clearing your browser cache or SHIFT+F5 in the table top? 
Gauss said: Oenanthe said: I am getting more and more confused. I've tried it with a Cleric, a Druid, a Wizard and a Ranger. I tried turning it off and on again on the sheet I've tried turning it off and on again using the !ammotracking command.   I've also disabled the Concentration API in case that was interferring. None of which made any difference. I've tried using the '!ammotracking player' command to try and make it show for the player and myself, which worked for ammo, but not for spells.  The message in chat also looked very different to how it used to look. Looking at it from a none programmer view point.  It seems like there are two mods rolled into one.  The one that is connected to the sheet and which uses the On or Off option on the settings page, and one that just tracks resources such as arrows and is activated by yhe !ammotracking commands (using the Ammotracking commands doesn't effect the toggle on the character sheet).  The first doesn't appear to be working, while the second one does. I have another game tomorrow morning, so i see what happens then, and then a quiet weekend to really play about and see if i can work anything out with it assuming it doesn't get solved in the mean time. Please send me an invite to your game, I will come take a look to see if I can spot what might be going on.  I've a game this morning that also uses the API so I'll see what happens in that.  I can then spend time over the weekend to see if I can track down the problem, clear caches , create a new game to test it in etc, if none of that sheds any light on the issue I'll take you up on the offer and send you a game invite.  Thank you for the offer.
Semi success. This morning game wa working fine spells and ammo counting perfectly. However the game I was having problems with yesterday is still not working correctly.  The characters that were already in the game aren't working, a test character that I created isn't working, but a character that I transmog over is working fine.  So it is definitely something to do with characters created in that game that is the problem.  I can see me spending some time coping games and characters, transmogging them from one game to another and that type of thing to see if I can track down what the problem was myself. While offers of help are greatly appreciated, if I can work it out myself i can learn a lot more as to what actually happened, and note it for future reference.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Please, please, please post any discoveries you make here!
I'm not sure my discoveries will help any one but I'll put what I have found out here. It is somehow linked to the character sheet in that particular game. I copied the game and only loaded the  5th Edition OGL by Roll20 mod in case any other mods were effecting it. Characters created in the original game would not track spells or ammo in chat in either the original game or the copied game but did track them both on the sheet.  Changing the ammo tracking on the Character sheet to Off made no difference it would still track ammo on the sheet.  Using the Ammotracking Off command stopped the ammo tracking on the sheet.  Then turning Ammo tracking on the sheet to On made no difference, but using the !ammotracking On command meant it started counting the ammo on the sheet again. The !ammotracking commands do not alter the ammo tracking setting on the character sheet. Using the !ammotracking on command counts the ammo on the sheet but with no output in the chat box. Using the !ammotracking player command turns the ammo counting on, both on the sheet and puts a display in the chat box which appears different to how the normal output appears (not just that it is whispered, but the general appearance of it) In all cases spells are being tracked on the character sheet but no output is being shown in chat. A character transmogged into the game prior to copying it tracked spells and ammo in chat correctly in both the original and the copy of the game. An original character transmogged from the copied game to another game I have would not track spells or ammo in chat in that game either, all though other characters created in that game did.  (Ididn't try all the !ammotracking commands there) A test character created in the copied game tracked spells and ammo properly in chat.  However having used the !ammotracking commands in that game the setting on the character sheet no longer has any effect, but using the !Ammotracking On/Off command makes the ammo and spell tracking  work as it should A test character created in the original game did not track ammo or spells in chat.  Using the !ammotracking player command made it so it would track ammo but not spells in chat, but .the output is rather different to the normal ammo tracking I get from just activating it on the sheet.  Using the !ammotracking off command stopped it tracking ammo, the !ammotracking on did turn it on on the sheet but not in chat, only !ammotracking player did that. I've attached a screen shot that shows the out put I normally get on the left hand side (taken form the copied games test character) and the out put I get from the original game when the !ammotracking player command is active. I know all that got rather complicated, involving three different games and characters from various ones, but hopefully someone who understands how these things work can sort out the relevant details from it all. For me, I think I'm going to be creating a new copy of the game as I've probably messed at least one character up testing things out, and then trying a roll back on the original one to see if I can get it to a point where things were working.  If that doesn't work then it may be a case of a brand new game, and recreating players' characters ready for the next session rather than trying to copy them as I know that won't work.
Gauss
Forum Champion
On the broken characters, have you removed the ammunition line and redone it? 
No I haven’t, that is one I need to test.
Gauss
Forum Champion
That should be one of the first steps. :) Whenever things break down my response is to redo it. It may be a glitch that screwed something up. 
Unfortunately it seemed that every character broke at the same time and it was the spells I noticed it one first so I hadn't really considered that one thing might have broken it. I have just tried, on both the character I transmogged into to game that is working, and on the character in the copied game, I redid the ammo line for the shortbow, I added a handaxe as a new thrown weapon and set it up with a resource and ammo and I added a new spell to the character sheet.  In all accounts I could get it to count the ammo and spell slots on the sheet but not to show it in chat. My current thinking is that at some point some thing broke, it obviously did for other people as well.  At just the wrong point in time I decided to try and work out what was happening my end, while it was being fixed at Roll20s end, and together we glitched the character sheets in that one game.  Just one of those unfortunate, coincidences.

Edited 1665780408
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, so some things you could try: (if I missed that you tried one of these already my apologies) 1) duplicate the game, see if the game's duplicate works correctly. 2) Uninstall the api script(s) and re-install them.  3) Have a Forum Champion come take a look. Really, I know you like to resolve things for yourself, but we might see something you missed. Or it might work for us but not you indicating a problem you hadn't thought of.  4) and finally send a bug report to the Devs, see if they can take a look at what broke. 
Was anyone able to find a solution for this issue that is what im dealing with too.  if i create a new game (not a copy of the current game) it works fine. in the new game when i transfer charters from the original game the ammo is still tracked on the sheet for that character but it does not show up for the copied character in the chat. i would rally like to not have to remake everything in my game in a new one. please help.
I ended up copying the game so all handouts etc were intact and then rebuilding the characters.  The ordinal characters didn’t track ammo and spells properly but the new ones did, or at least they did last time I was in the game.  I never really found the cause and put it down to a glitch in the character sheet as it followed the sheets into other games both when the game was copied and using the transmogrification option.

Edited 1667501062
ok Thank you. ill will keep my eye out for a solution.
My game had only just started so rebuilding characters was no big deal, it might be worth you taking up the champions’ offers and inviting one into your game to see if they can sort out the issue.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Nicholus F. said: Was anyone able to find a solution for this issue that is what im dealing with too.  if i create a new game (not a copy of the current game) it works fine. in the new game when i transfer charters from the original game the ammo is still tracked on the sheet for that character but it does not show up for the copied character in the chat. i would rally like to not have to remake everything in my game in a new one. please help. I would not expect the ammo tracking to work on copied characters, the idents would be wrong. You would need to clear the ammo line for each attack and redo it. 
So just got the Pro membership and attempted to use the OGL ammo script and running into similar issues even tried making a blank game with a test character and followed every single step but not getting anywhere with the API to run.