Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Resizing Page?

In the Release Notes for October 14, Roll20 wrote: When placing an image on a blank map layer, you now have the option to resize the page or image depending on the dimensions of the image uploaded or drag-and-dropped from your Art Library. Images that have dimensions set will drag-and-drop at those dimensions. Exactly how does resizing the page work, or supposed to work? I've tried several times to move an image on to a blank map layer, and not once was I give the option to resize the page. So, how is this supposed to work? Has anyone tried it? Has anyone gotten it to work? I have successfully changed the size of images in the Art Library but I was kind of expecting, when moving the image onto a blank map layer, that not only would the image be moved at the correct size, but I would be given the option to resize the page itself. Unless I'm misunderstanding the way this is supposed to work, or the intent? I've also tried moving map images that were not resized in the Art Library, and I still did not get the option to change the size of the image, or the page. Or is the fact that I'm not being given the option to adjust the size what is colloquially known as a "bug"? :-D
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I think this might only apply to images dragged in from your local computer, not the library, but I've not seen it in action yet. 
It specifically says the library in the Release Notes as quoted.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have discovered that the image resizing has some quirks: An image in Recent Uploads is sized independently from a reference that has been placed in a folder. An image that is resized as the result of a search is not resized at all. I assume the feature refers to the image in a very specific way. I don't know what the back end db looks like on that. Did any of your tests fall in that category?
The steps I took: Try #1:   - I clicked on "Art Library", and "My Library"   - I clicked the "Upload" button and then "Choose a file"; I found the image I wanted on disk (a 500px by 500px png image) and uploaded it   - I right-clicked on the image under "Recent Uploads", and selected "Resize Image", I entered the size I wanted   - I then created a new page, and moved to that page. I then dragged the image I had downloaded to the new page. The image appeared on the page in the correct size, but the page did not resize to the size of the image, nor was I asked if i wanted to resize the page. Try #2:    Everything the same as above, except that I did not resize the image before dragging it to the new page. I was not asked if I wanted to resize the image. I was not asked if I wanted to resize the page.   The image was not in a folder other than "Recent Uploads". It was not an image that I found as the result of a search.  

Edited 1665961386
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
When you entered the size, did you enter it as pixels or as the number of grid units you wanted the image to take up? The feature works on grid size, not pixel size.

Edited 1665961463
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
More testing. It appears that if the page will hold the element at the requested size, it will not ask to resize the page. It will only ask to resize the page if the current page size is smaller than the asset's set size. Try making the page smaller than the asset size and see if you get the dialog box then.
As grid units. I divided the 500x500 pixels into 8x8 grid units keithcurtis said: When you entered the size, did you enter it as pixels or as the number of grid units you wanted the image to take up? The feature works on grid size, not pixel size.
For the second test, I left the size as 1x1 grid units. That should have triggered the request to adjust the page size. I just tried another test with a page size set to 25x25 grid units, and a map set to size 50x50.  When I dragged the map to the page, it did ask to resize the page or the map. So, this feature is only partially useful. Thanks for the assist... keithcurtis said: More testing. It appears that if the page will hold the element at the requested size, it will not ask to resize the page. It will only ask to resize the page if the current page size is smaller than the asset's set size. Try making the page smaller than the asset size and see if you get the dialog box then.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There might be some parameters in play to prevent accidental triggering. A map of 1x1 or even 3x3 is unlikely and there may be an intent to keep the feature from doing unintended things. It would be nice if the feature were more thoroughly documented.
That may be but it should have triggered on the 8x8 map since 8x8 is more likely. I've put 8x8 images onto a page and then expanded them to fit the page many times before. So, I would have expected the feature to trigger on the 8x8 image and it didn't. Yes, better documentation would be nice, especially if there minimum or maximum sizes that an image has to be before triggering the feature. And, are there limits to the size of the page? Or the image, and if so, what are they?  And another point, was this ever on the development server or did it go right into production? If so, why? Shouldn't these things be tested first?? Yes, these are all rhetorical questions that I don't expect anyone but staff to answer... :D
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't think these are bugs so much as differing expectations. If I put an 8x8 image on a 7x7 page, the page will offer to auto expand. I don't think the feature is designed to auto contract. In the end, this is likely a good thing, in that most people will likely lay down a big image for the background map and then maybe a few set pieces. The set pieces would almost always be smaller than the page and you wouldn't want it to offer to resize all the time. In short, there's no way such a feature would fit all possible uses and still remain generally useful. This particular tool I feel, is a good one.
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Hey folks! I'm working with the team to get updated documentation around this feature, but I'm happy to answer some questions: I do agree with Keith that this is a case of differing expectations versus bugs, as the functionality I'm seeing aligns with our expectations. T he primary utility here is going to be for non-gridded maps and new users who aren't familiar with the VTT, which is why you may not be seeing it in your usual game prep workflows. There are a few things that need to be true for the image resize modal to pop up: Nothing can be on the map layer first (this is to prevent folks who are placing props from getting frustrated!) The map image needs to be bigger than the page size (you can utilize this or test the functionality by setting the image dimensions in your Art Library by right-clicking "Resize Item" after uploading, setting dimensions, and placing that map on a page that's smaller than the set grid size). We haven't changed any tools around gridded maps but, as always, happy to hear feedback for when we do look to make other improvements on the VTT!
Actually, I would  it to offer to resize every time there is a mismatch between the size of the image, and the size of the page. If I don't want it to offer to resize, I could set the size of the page, and/or the image independently before putting the image on the page. And it's easy enough to click the button and not have the system resize the page/image if I don't want it to happen such as when putting down set pieces, or something similar. If the feature is going to be useful for all users, it has to perform for all users consistently, and do the job it's intended to do.  Of course, they never announced this, or discussed this, or tested it on the development server, or written any documentation for it, so it's hard to know exactly what it's intended to do, or what problem/issue they are trying to solve, or what situations this is intended for... keithcurtis said: I don't think these are bugs so much as differing expectations. If I put an 8x8 image on a 7x7 page, the page will offer to auto expand. I don't think the feature is designed to auto contract. In the end, this is likely a good thing, in that most people will likely lay down a big image for the background map and then maybe a few set pieces. The set pieces would almost always be smaller than the page and you wouldn't want it to offer to resize all the time. In short, there's no way such a feature would fit all possible uses and still remain generally useful. This particular tool I feel, is a good one.
As I said in my other message, it just doesn't do the job that I expect  it to be doing: If I'm putting down an image that is larger than the page size, I want the system to at least ask me if I want to either make the page size bigger, or shrink the image. If I'm putting down an image that is smaller than the page size, I want the system to at least ask me if I want to either make the page size smaller, or make the image bigger to fit the page size. To me, that's the way a feature like this should  work. It shouldn't only work for 50% (or less) of the cases. It should work for all the cases. Ashton said: Hey folks! I'm working with the team to get updated documentation around this feature, but I'm happy to answer some questions: I do agree with Keith that this is a case of differing expectations versus bugs, as the functionality I'm seeing aligns with our expectations. T he primary utility here is going to be for non-gridded maps and new users who aren't familiar with the VTT, which is why you may not be seeing it in your usual game prep workflows. There are a few things that need to be true for the image resize modal to pop up: Nothing can be on the map layer first (this is to prevent folks who are placing props from getting frustrated!) The map image needs to be bigger than the page size (you can utilize this or test the functionality by setting the image dimensions in your Art Library by right-clicking "Resize Item" after uploading, setting dimensions, and placing that map on a page that's smaller than the set grid size). We haven't changed any tools around gridded maps but, as always, happy to hear feedback for when we do look to make other improvements on the VTT!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ashton said: Nothing can be on the map layer first (this is to prevent folks who are placing props from getting frustrated!) There is a very minor bug here, then. If there is something already on the page, and it is smaller than a second image to be placed, the dialog pops up and resizes the image to the existing size of the page, but does not resize the page to match the image. It sounds like the intended behavior is not to have the box pop up at all. Repro steps: Create 5x5 page Define Graphic A to be 10x10 Drop graphic A on page Dialog box appears. Clicking OK resizes page and graphic to 10x10 Define Graphic B to be 20x20 Drop graphic B on page Dialog box appears. Clicking OK resizes page and graphic to 10x10 (existing size) It sounds like the intended behavior is for the dialog box to not appear at all.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Saul J. said: As I said in my other message, it just doesn't do the job that I expect  it to be doing: If I'm putting down an image that is larger than the page size, I want the system to at least ask me if I want to either make the page size bigger, or shrink the image. If I'm putting down an image that is smaller than the page size, I want the system to at least ask me if I want to either make the page size smaller, or make the image bigger to fit the page size. To me, that's the way a feature like this should  work. It shouldn't only work for 50% (or less) of the cases. It should work for all the cases. I respectfully disagree that this should be the behavior. It would be fine for dropping single map images, but many users construct maps with tile sets or  drop one background image and 0- n   set pieces.  It would get very tiresome to have to dismiss the dialog box with every tile drop or set piece drop, and an accidental "OK" might have extremely unwanted results, making entire elements vanish off the edge of the page . I'm fine with it only resizing upwards.
I stand by what I said.  I mean no disrespect to you, but they already said that the pop-up would not function if there was already an image on the map, so your point is largely irrelevant. keithcurtis said: Saul J. said: As I said in my other message, it just doesn't do the job that I expect  it to be doing: If I'm putting down an image that is larger than the page size, I want the system to at least ask me if I want to either make the page size bigger, or shrink the image. If I'm putting down an image that is smaller than the page size, I want the system to at least ask me if I want to either make the page size smaller, or make the image bigger to fit the page size. To me, that's the way a feature like this should  work. It shouldn't only work for 50% (or less) of the cases. It should work for all the cases. I respectfully disagree that this should be the behavior. It would be fine for dropping single map images, but many users construct maps with tile sets or  drop one background image and 0- n   set pieces.  It would get very tiresome to have to dismiss the dialog box with every tile drop or set piece drop, and an accidental "OK" might have extremely unwanted results, making entire elements vanish off the edge of the page . I'm fine with it only resizing upwards.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Perfectly fine. The expected behavior is a matter of opinion in a lot of cases, and I was expressing mine. You are absolutely right to express yours. And my point about the popup not functioning was that it still appears. It does nothing, but it still appears. It does not exactly follow the rules that Ashton described. My point was that I feel that the dialog box should not appear at all if it is going to do nothing (i.e.I felt it would be an annoyance if it appeared on all subsequent drops). I had understood that you wanted it to appear with every drop and you could decide whether or not to have it function. If that was not your desire, then I misunderstood.
As I understand it, the pop-up should not appear if there is already an image on the page. Therefore, it would not constantly keep appearing if you were adding more images after adding that first image, so you wouldn't have a problem if you were adding multiple images to the page. For the first image (and therefore only the first image) you put on the page, you should be given the option to resize either the image (to make it as big, or as small, as the page), or the page (to make it as big, or as small, as the image), or do nothing (which you might choose if you were planning to add more images to the page) regardless of the size of the image, or the size of the image relative to the size of the page. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Saul J. said: As I understand it, the pop-up should not appear if there is already an image on the page. Therefore, it would not constantly keep appearing if you were adding more images after adding that first image, so you wouldn't have a problem if you were adding multiple images to the page. For the first image (and therefore only the first image) you put on the page, you should be given the option to resize either the image (to make it as big, or as small, as the page), or the page (to make it as big, or as small, as the image), or do nothing (which you might choose if you were planning to add more images to the page) regardless of the size of the image, or the size of the image relative to the size of the page.  I could get behind that behavior.
Now, we just have to convince Roll20... :D keithcurtis said: Saul J. said: As I understand it, the pop-up should not appear if there is already an image on the page. Therefore, it would not constantly keep appearing if you were adding more images after adding that first image, so you wouldn't have a problem if you were adding multiple images to the page. For the first image (and therefore only the first image) you put on the page, you should be given the option to resize either the image (to make it as big, or as small, as the page), or the page (to make it as big, or as small, as the image), or do nothing (which you might choose if you were planning to add more images to the page) regardless of the size of the image, or the size of the image relative to the size of the page.  I could get behind that behavior.