Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Skill = x, but when Advances = 0 then Skill = 0, but if Advances =1 then Skill = x+1

I'm trying to work out a way to put a message in chat to say what a characters skill level is, but to take into account the number of Advances the character has in a skill, most importantly changing the skill to 0 if there are no advances. I know if/then comparisons don't normally work, but I was wondering if there was any work around for this. The system is Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and i'm using the official Cubicle 7 sheet. Skills have a base rating equal to the characteristic they are derived from Checks can be made on basic skills without needing any advances in them. Checks can only be made on Advanced skills if you have at least 1 Advance in that skill. So the Heal skill for example is an Advanced skill based of Intelligence.  if you have an intelligence of 30 and put 1 Advance in the Heal skill you would have to roll under 31 on percentiles to succeed.  However if you had no Advances in the Heal skill you would be considered to have a skill of 0 nor 30. Is there any way to put a message in chat that would show the skill level as 0 if there were no Advances, but if there were 1 or more advances in the skill would show the skill as its base level plus the advances. Several of my players seem to forget they need to check on whether they have advances in a skill before they roll it and the standard template that comes with the sheet doesn't mention it when they make the roll.  i want to do a chat menu for the skills with a button which rolls the skill and a message beside it to say what the skill level is, but putting a skill level of 0 if they have no advances in that skill.  I can do the menu to show the button and the skill level, but not to reduce the skill to 0 if they have no advances in that skill. It is a bit complex to explain, so I hope that makes sense.

Edited 1666886290
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Sure, you can just use 0  and 1  as booleans for this. I'm going to demonstrate for the heal you mentioned, and assume that you have he following attribute names (change the macro as needed to match actual attribute names): @{intelligence} - The intelligence score, e.g. 30 @{heal_advance} - The number of advances in the heal skill [[{1,@{heal_advance}}kl1 * (@{intelligence} + @{heal_advance})]] That gives an output that looks like this: That gives us a roll tip that's a little messy, so we can complicate the macro a little to get a cleaner output (if that's important to you): [[ [[{1,@{heal_advance}}kl1 *@{intelligence}]][Intelligence] + @{heal_advance}[heal] ]] Which gives this output: Hope that helps EDIT: Forgot a pic of the output for when the heal is 1 and when it's higher than 1: EDIT2: You can take the inline roll above and use it directly as a target number to roll under: [[ 1d100<[[ [[ {1,@{heal_advance}}kl1 *@{intelligence} ]][Intelligence] + @{heal_advance}[heal] ]] ]]
Thank you so much, that works perfectly. I felt sure there was a way of doing this, I just couldn't remember where I'd seen it, and when it comes to booleans, they are a bit beyond my current understanding but something i can now start on adding to my repertoire.  It is what I love with these forums, I ask a question, some one tells me how to achieve what I'm after and i learn a little more.