Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Charactermancer doesn't work for Rangers with Tasha's... Help Desk refuses to help

Even though it's been nearly two full years since Tasha's was released, the Charactermancer will not allow you to make Rangers correctly. The response that I received from the Help desk was literally "this is the current state of Charactermancer". In other words, we don't care that the content you purchased doesn't work correctly on the platform you pay for, suck it up. Since the people who work for r20 clearly don't care, maybe someone has figured out some way to make the system work correctly? Can anyone help so that I can have Rangers with accurate class features? Please???
Just add the extra feature then delete the ones you don't want. If I remember correctly they don't have any mechanics on the sheet. Any player I have had that makes a Ranger or when I do this is all I have done.
Not everyone uses optional rules, and everything in Tasha's and Xanathar's is optional (In Tasha's it actually says so, right near the bottom of page 4).
Kilter said: Just add the extra feature then delete the ones you don't want. If I remember correctly they don't have any mechanics on the sheet. Any player I have had that makes a Ranger or when I do this is all I have done. The problem with that attitude is that if I wanted to manually add and remove items from my sheet I wouldn't be using the charactermancer. Additionally, the progressive benefits for the features aren't calculated correctly when leveling up. Basically, I feel like you're missing the point of the complaint. Automation is the point of the system and the automation isn't functional in it's current configuration. Rick A.  said: Not everyone uses optional rules, and everything in Tasha's and Xanathar's is optional (In Tasha's it actually says so, right near the bottom of page 4). Yeah, that's the point. What I'm driving for is the ability to say whether this character is using Favored Enemy or Favored Foe (which are mutually exclusive options). The system automatically applies both by default.
This is, in my opinion, a much broader suggestion/idea/issue.  A GM might want to allow other rules from Tasha's, but not the rules for Rangers, or might want to allow the optional rules for Rangers, but not other optional rules.  Did you know that "Feats" are optional? So, this is really a much broader issue. See the post I recently made: Selection of "optional rules"
Saul J. said: This is, in my opinion, a much broader suggestion/idea/issue.  A GM might want to allow other rules from Tasha's, but not the rules for Rangers, or might want to allow the optional rules for Rangers, but not other optional rules.  Did you know that "Feats" are optional? So, this is really a much broader issue. See the post I recently made: Selection of "optional rules" For rangers they get the option of replacing Favored Enemy with Favored Foe and replacing Favored Terrain with Deft Explorer. The system currently adds all four options automatically which means, as Klitter said earlier, a player (or GM) is responsible for removing the features that aren't being used manually, which includes some language proficiencies and spells . To me as a person with absolutely no understanding of coding, this seems like the same kind of mechanic as when you're leveling up and have to choose a subtype or a class feature like an artificer infusion. 

Edited 1664748428
I've submitted this bug as well. No response from roll20 as usual. This cause drama at my table when a player insisted his character was legal because the charactermancer let him do it. Considering moving to Foundry VTT when DnD 6e comes out.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .