Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

November Roll20 Reserve | Tome of Beasts 2 by Kobold Press

Edited 1669056945
Dean
Roll20 Team
Roll20 Reserve is a monthly, curated reward for Pro Subscribers. This month’s reward is: Tome of Beasts 2 by Kobold Press Tome of Beasts 2 offers 400 unique monsters for you to drag and drop into any of your 5e games! You can also reference the entire book in the web compendium , perfect for your in-person table play. Furthermore, everyone can save 20% when pre-ordering the Tome of Beasts 3 Complete Bundle , launching later this month, and complete your Kobold Press monster collection!  (edit, pre-order period is over and the product is now launched at regular price)
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Wow!
Awesome! This one has great value, I already had the book, but for those gms just getting it I can vouch for the kobold press monster books, if you like this one, creature codex and tome of beasts 1 are also worth it!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Holy frijole! That's a big-un!
So those of us that already owned it get nothing, eh? What a rip off.
This is a common happening when things are given away for free. It is a chance everyone faces. Cheluvahar said: So those of us that already owned it get nothing, eh? What a rip off.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Cheluvahar said: So those of us that already owned it get nothing, eh? What a rip off. Those of us that don't run/play D&D 5E can't get much use out of it either.  No biggie.

Edited 1667350354
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Kraynic said: Cheluvahar said: So those of us that already owned it get nothing, eh? What a rip off. Those of us that don't run/play D&D 5E can't get much use out of it either.  No biggie. Even if you don't play 5e, it's a set of 400+ icons and monster art.
Is it just me, or are the Reserve offerings getting better?
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: Even if you don't play 5e, it's a set of 400+ icons and monster art. Keith, how would one go about using any of that art in a non-5e game? 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: Even if you don't play 5e, it's a set of 400+ icons and monster art. Yeah, there is that.  I wasn't going to claim it, but after that comment I decided to do so.  It doesn't look like it includes an asset pack, so the only way to get those is one at a time from the compendium.  That is definitely doable, but not all that convenient.  If I end up needing something oddball for my Pathfinder game, I guess I could take a look through.  I use top/down tokens in my preferred system (due to facing and field of view being important), so I don't use any portrait tokens at all for that.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Pat said: keithcurtis said: Even if you don't play 5e, it's a set of 400+ icons and monster art. Keith, how would one go about using any of that art in a non-5e game?  It's a compendium item so there are a couple of ways off the top of my head. You could create a library game with the images in it, and transmogrify them as you wish. You could temporarily switch the chosen compendium on your game, import what you want and then switch back. The first is probably the best. If you drag the monsters out onto a page, and then transmogrify the page without porting over the monster character sheets, you'll just get images. without superfluous statblocks. I don't think that Kobold press makes token packs like Roll20 does on their modules; that would of course be the very easiest way.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you just want the bio pages and you don't want the statblocks, you can convert them to handouts with the Supernotes mod script: Drag them into a 5e temporary game, or into a game that you have temporarily set to the 5e compendium. Select the token and use the Supernotes command: !gmnote --bio Press the "Make handout" button at the bottom. Delete the character sheet if you wish. (You should rename either the monster or the handout at any rate.)
I also already own it but am very impressed, nice one Roll20/Kobold Press, awesome!!! 
Kilter said: This is a common happening when things are given away for free. It is a chance everyone faces. Cheluvahar said: So those of us that already owned it get nothing, eh? What a rip off. Not true. You are wrong. It used to be that the Reserves were released to Pro subscribers before they were released on the marketplace. That way there was no chance that I, as a Pro subscriber, would already own the item. That was the way it was advertised in 2020 (when I purchased my Pro subscription), and that was the only reason I purchased the Pro subscription at the time (rather than the Plus). I knew I would get approximately $5 of free goodies each month to make up the difference in cost.
Not true. You are wrong.  My statement is still true. When you give free things away it can still happen, just because it was done another way before, doesn't change or make my statement wrong.  Along with the other comment for all those that don't play that system or need maps, or the items  given for free.  They can also gain no benefit from month to month.  Sometime free items give no value to some people from time to time.
Well, you can all say what you will, but this is not right. It is false advertising. My Pro membership is up on 12/26; I may very well be going to a free membership because of this.
There is never a guarantee that anything gotten for free is worth more than what one's paid for it. :)  All snark aside, I've been pretty pleased with what I've received as part of my Pro subscription.  The Transmogrifier and access to API scripts (Mods) are IMO well worth the extra US$5/month.
One more thing. The implication from everyone here is that "you are getting something for free so be happy with it." Is it for free, though? The reward is something that is part of the subscription I pay for. It is not some free gift. The reward has gone from a small reward worth about $5 that would introduce us to a new marketplace publisher each month (generally a smaller publisher). However, the last two months "big free gifts" have been attempts to expose us to products of two of the biggest publishers out there (Paizo and Kobold Press) in an attempt to get us to buy more of their products. It is a major shift. I guess everybody is okay with the change but me.
Cheluvahar said: However, the last two months "big free gifts" have been attempts to expose us to products of two of the biggest publishers out there (Paizo and Kobold Press) in an attempt to get us to buy more of their products. It is a major shift. I guess everybody is okay with the change but me. I noticed this as well - feels more like its being used for advertising rather than an actual gift.  I wouldn't say I am okay with it, but there are a lot of things Roll20 does that I am not okay with, but due to amount invested/lack of other options, I'm still here for now. -Adam

Edited 1667419681
For those who already own items they put on here as the monthly freebie, it would be nice if they would give you the choice of two or three items.  That way if you own it already, you can choose the other item.  I just purchased this one last week.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the freebies for Pro accounts, but if it's been purchased, then it's not free. 
Sarrish said: For those who already own items they put on here as the monthly freebie, it would be nice if they would give you the choice of two or three items.  That way if you own it already, you can choose the other item.  I just purchased this one last week.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the freebies for Pro accounts, but if it's been purchased, then it's not free.  If it was literally just last week, i would file helpdesk request and the chances are high you would get another nice Kobold Press item for free.

Edited 1667423671
Dean
Roll20 Team
Sarrish said: For those who already own items they put on here as the monthly freebie, it would be nice if they would give you the choice of two or three items.  That way if you own it already, you can choose the other item.   Thanks for the feedback! We've been playing with multiple approaches to Pro rewards over time to try to maximize the value and impact across the board: exclusive art, adventure modules, compendiums, curated bundles, etc. We try to switch it up a bit each month to give value to all types of players. I love the suggestion of being able to offer multiple pieces of content to serve more folks.  As for your recent purchase, you can find the Roll20 Return Policy here :) 
I've claimed this but somehow I'm not seeing how to access it from one of my games.  Should it be listed as an Add-on when I create the Game?
Ron R. said: I've claimed this but somehow I'm not seeing how to access it from one of my games.&nbsp; Should it be listed as an Add-on when I create the Game? You can access it in the compendium tab of any game using the D&amp;D 5e character sheet set (recommend the official 5e sheet by Roll20), or view it on the web compendium here:&nbsp; <a href="https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Tome%20of%20Beasts%202#content" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Tome%20of%20Beasts%202#content</a> Hope that helps!
I am not following… this is free. So I am not understanding what the issue is even if you did purchase it before, since it only part of the plethora of monthly features you receive with your membership. In addition, this month you also receive&nbsp; 20% savings if you decide to pre-order the next bundle, which is also pretty nice. I took advantage of that. I would definitely look at that other bundle… some nice additions there. Cheluvahar said: So those of us that already owned it get nothing, eh? What a rip off.
wow
Blixa the Cat said: I am not following… this is free. So I am not understanding what the issue is even if you did purchase it before, since it only part of the plethora of monthly features you receive with your membership. In addition, this month you also receive&nbsp; 20% savings if you decide to pre-order the next bundle, which is also pretty nice. I took advantage of that. I would definitely look at that other bundle… some nice additions there. Cheluvahar said: So those of us that already owned it get nothing, eh? What a rip off. But it is not free. It is part of the subscription we pay for. The monthly reward (and the fact that it was to be an item that had not already been released on the marketplace) was the reason I picked the Pro sub over the Plus sub when I subscribed originally . This is now the second time I have explained it in this thread. Do you understand now, or do I need to explain it a third time?
It was added as a perk of the subscription, not an original part of it. There was no increase to the subscription fee when the perk was added. So technically it is still a free gift for the people that had Pro before the perk was added.
Dean said: Ron R. said: I've claimed this but somehow I'm not seeing how to access it from one of my games.&nbsp; Should it be listed as an Add-on when I create the Game? You can access it in the compendium tab of any game using the D&amp;D 5e character sheet set (recommend the official 5e sheet by Roll20), or view it on the web compendium here:&nbsp; <a href="https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Tome%20of%20Beasts%202#content" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Tome%20of%20Beasts%202#content</a> Hope that helps! Thank you, Dean!&nbsp; I've been using Roll20 regularly for about 4 years but I could probably count on one hand the number of times that I've hit that compendium tab!&nbsp; I didn't even know that's what that little tab was called.&nbsp; Looks like it's pretty handy!
Cheluvahar said: Blixa the Cat said: I am not following… this is free. So I am not understanding what the issue is even if you did purchase it before, since it only part of the plethora of monthly features you receive with your membership. In addition, this month you also receive&nbsp; 20% savings if you decide to pre-order the next bundle, which is also pretty nice. I took advantage of that. I would definitely look at that other bundle… some nice additions there. Cheluvahar said: So those of us that already owned it get nothing, eh? What a rip off. But it is not free. It is part of the subscription we pay for. The monthly reward (and the fact that it was to be an item that had not already been released on the marketplace) was the reason I picked the Pro sub over the Plus sub when I subscribed originally . This is now the second time I have explained it in this thread. Do you understand now, or do I need to explain it a third time? We get it...your pissed. No need to keep bashing peoples heads in.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Nice!
Thanks!
Thanks, what a great month's offering. I have all the D&amp;D books in hardware (since decades actually) and generated some elements for my games from these books. This can be time-consuming work, indeed (copying pictures, typing stats, copying the text ...). Therefore, compendiums / manuals are much appreciated and add a lot of value (in my opinion) offering the possibility to add more variations and content to your game.&nbsp; I also get the feeling, that the offerings get better!&nbsp;