Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Add an option to set the "bio and info" part of a character sheet as the default opened part

Score + 32
The title says it all. Please add an option for those who care about their "bio and infos" more than the stats. Having the core character sheet open by default is wasting a lot of time in games in which I'm opening a lot of character sheet. Out of 1000 npcs I run, maybe 4 of them have actual stuff written in the main character sheet, and everything that matters is in the bio and info. And being sent back to the character sheet after editing the bio and info is also very confusing. I understand that some people want to have their character sheet opened before the bio and info, so please make it an option.
They made a survey on their Product Portal where you can vote for having Bio &amp; Info Tab No. 1 again. You can finde it here:&nbsp; <a href="https://portal.productboard.com/roll20/1-roll20-portal/c/225-open-character-to-bio-info?utm_medium=social&amp;utm_source=portal_share" rel="nofollow">https://portal.productboard.com/roll20/1-roll20-portal/c/225-open-character-to-bio-info?utm_medium=social&amp;utm_source=portal_share</a>
I mean I personally prefer having the bio and info tab #1, but I'm sure some people prefer it the other way, and I think an option to accommodate everyone shouldn't be too hard to implement.
+1 to this suggestion. The journals are nearly unusable for me now. I've NEVER bothered with roll20's in-game character sheet functions, but I DO use those journals to collect lore and images for both the players use and for myself.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
At least we still have shift+double click on a token to go to Bio &amp; Info tab of the associated sheet.&nbsp; The way the rest of this roll out went, I was afraid that went away as well.
Gold
Forum Champion
Kraynic said: At least we still have shift+double click on a token to go to Bio &amp; Info tab of the associated sheet.&nbsp; The way the rest of this roll out went, I was afraid that went away as well. Good method IF you are working thru Token-connected Character Sheets. Is there a function like that --- does that same key combination work? --- on clicking Characters in the Journal tab list?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Gold said: Kraynic said: At least we still have shift+double click on a token to go to Bio &amp; Info tab of the associated sheet.&nbsp; The way the rest of this roll out went, I was afraid that went away as well. Good method IF you are working thru Token-connected Character Sheets. Is there a function like that --- does that same key combination work? --- on clicking Characters in the Journal tab list? No, that does not apply go the Journal tab, only Character-linked tokens.&nbsp;

Edited 1668893441
One of my current games (and a few of my older campaigns) is a game with lots of mysteries, where the GM has set every NPC to be editable by the players, so that as we piece together clues we can edit the bio &amp; info tab to take notes on what we've figured out about each NPC. While this technically means anyone could just flip to the character sheet tab and learn things about the NPCs, for the past two years the honor system has worked out just fine and no one has cheated. It's basically the same thing as playing at the table if the GM has written notes but isn't using a GM screen. Anyone could sneak a peek at the top page of the GM's notes at the table, but we all trust each other and wouldn't do that on purpose.&nbsp; Now, however, with the character sheets suddenly being the default page you open to, it's impossible to avoid accidentally seeing some critical spoiler. Instead of the equivalent of the GM's notes laying out at the end of the table without a screen, it's now more akin to someone waving every NPCs character sheet in your face multiple times per session. You try real hard to avoid reading it, but that's hard to do when something to the effect of "Is secretly a vampire" is written at the top of the character sheet. (And given the way some character sheets are coded, it's not always possible to avoid having such spoilers placed prominently.) And since the campaign has been ongoing for a couple years with complicated mystery plotlines, there's close to a hundred NPCs. It will take a ton of effort to duplicate every NPC, delete all the character sheet stats from one copy of every NPC, and then change the permissions on them all so the PCs can only see &amp; edit the copy that doesn't have a character sheet. The recent change has possibly ruined the campaign , and certainly created hours of tedious work for the GM. It sucks. Please give us a toggle in the campaign settings to control whether the default on opening a page is to go to Bio &amp; Info, Character Sheet, or Abilities. I've personally run multiple campaigns where Bio &amp; Info being the default would be ideal, and at least one campaign each where the Character Sheet or the Abilities tab would be the best choice. Being able to set that default per-campaign would be amazing.
Per campaign setting sounds amazing! Please give us that!
Gauss
Forum Champion
Rolfe B. said: One of my current games (and a few of my older campaigns) is a game with lots of mysteries, where the GM has set every NPC to be editable by the players, so that as we piece together clues we can edit the bio &amp; info tab to take notes on what we've figured out about each NPC. While this technically means anyone could just flip to the character sheet tab and learn things about the NPCs, for the past two years the honor system has worked out just fine and no one has cheated. It's basically the same thing as playing at the table if the GM has written notes but isn't using a GM screen. Anyone could sneak a peek at the top page of the GM's notes at the table, but we all trust each other and wouldn't do that on purpose.&nbsp; Now, however, with the character sheets suddenly being the default page you open to, it's impossible to avoid accidentally seeing some critical spoiler. Instead of the equivalent of the GM's notes laying out at the end of the table without a screen, it's now more akin to someone waving every NPCs character sheet in your face multiple times per session. You try real hard to avoid reading it, but that's hard to do when something to the effect of "Is secretly a vampire" is written at the top of the character sheet. (And given the way some character sheets are coded, it's not always possible to avoid having such spoilers placed prominently.) And since the campaign has been ongoing for a couple years with complicated mystery plotlines, there's close to a hundred NPCs. It will take a ton of effort to duplicate every NPC, delete all the character sheet stats from one copy of every NPC, and then change the permissions on them all so the PCs can only see &amp; edit the copy that doesn't have a character sheet. The recent change has possibly ruined the campaign , and certainly created hours of tedious work for the GM. It sucks. Please give us a toggle in the campaign settings to control whether the default on opening a page is to go to Bio &amp; Info, Character Sheet, or Abilities. I've personally run multiple campaigns where Bio &amp; Info being the default would be ideal, and at least one campaign each where the Character Sheet or the Abilities tab would be the best choice. Being able to set that default per-campaign would be amazing. As a current workaround my suggestion for this would be to use handouts named the same as the characters.&nbsp;
^That would mean having to re-make every single NPC in a campaign, (which can be more time consuming to do for some campaigns than to just add an option for existing settings)
Just wanted to chime in and say that I 100% absolutely support this suggestion. This has made the way I have my character handouts in games a really pain.&nbsp; I have scores of characters with information available to the players, but 95% of them they can't access the sheets on, so they all have to click an extra button every time I open anything.
Gold
Forum Champion
I'm now lending my vote +1 to this also. I would like it to be "Per Character" with a Per-Game Default setting.&nbsp; Generally in many cases, PC's would retain the new Roll20 way of opening Character Sheet first. NPC's generally-speaking I'd set to Bio-Tab-First.&nbsp; So I would like the setting for the choice of which comes first (chicken or the egg)
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
+1
Just came here to search for an option to add this. Definitely +1 from me.

Edited 1678539112
+1 for making which tab you prefer a selectable option (a game setting) As mentioned on the 3/9 Developer Q&amp;A thread, there are also times where you're editing Bio&amp;Info, and even if you normally want to default to the character sheet tab, you want to see Bio&amp;Info after you save changes to it.&nbsp; That kind of context-sensitive behavior would seem useful as well.

Edited 1678546707
Or at the very least, make it a toggle for the GM. For the GM, it is almost always more convenient for the sheet to open to Bio and Info to look at and edit NPC entries (who almost never have filled out character sheets). It's very strange that they just Unilaterally decided to do this without asking us.
Apparently, it was a feature requested by a lot of subscribers, just not through forum posts. Most of the people I play with on Rol20 didn't even know this forum existed until I mentioned it to them, and they still have no interest in reading it. Teller said: It's very strange that they just Unilaterally decided to do this without asking us.
+1, PLEASE. So frustrating
I agree with this.. I much preferred the BIO AND INFO being at the start.