Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Tablet Advice Needed

My best friend is likely to be confined to bed for the foreseeable future, and I'd like him to have the option of gaming remotely.  A tablet would be the easiest device (with appropriate mount/holder).   I was hoping for advice on the best tablet to use with Roll20.  Maybe there's a model used for development?  Or if not is there a consensus among the users?  He's currently an iPhone user, so I'd default to iPadd if no other recommendations.  I'm assuming games are playable on tablet these days, vs just viewable.  Is that a mistaken assumption?  Any current info would be a great help, thank you.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't use one for Roll20, so I can't speak to it. If you have access to a tablet, it would probably be best to test for yourself, assuming no tablet users chime in here. You could also try asking for feedback on the Roll20 Reddit, to increase exposure.

Edited 1674255048
Gauss
Forum Champion
I have a similar issue where I cannot use a computer in a normal setup, so I use a swing arm by Ergotron  to put the monitor in front of me. Keyboard is on my lap and mouse is next to me. Perhaps something similar would help your friend. 
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I have never found Roll20 usable on my iPad Pro 10.5” model. However, I haven’t tried it with a keyboard and mouse connected with Bluetooth. If you’re interested, I can try that with the keyboard and mouse I usually use with my Mac Mini. 
Most do not have the power to run the full Roll-20 experience. I had a player that used a tablet and a phone together, it was horrible. If you are doing TOTM and using the tablet for rolls etc. it would work, but a tiny screen and slow processor are a formula for frustration.
Thanks for the feedback all.  I'll consider that Gauss - not a bad solution - that would be helpful for more things overall.  I unfortunately don't have any tablet to speak of to test with personally, would be buying that for him (remotely).  Might be worth actually going to a store and testing. Al... ah. TOTM = Theatre of the Mind - gotcha.  No, it'd be more interactive than that, but good point, thank you.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Majuba said: Thanks for the feedback all.  I'll consider that Gauss - not a bad solution - that would be helpful for more things overall.  I unfortunately don't have any tablet to speak of to test with personally, would be buying that for him (remotely).  Might be worth actually going to a store and testing. Al... ah. TOTM = Theatre of the Mind - gotcha.  No, it'd be more interactive than that, but good point, thank you. One other note...depending on the model Ergotron also sells extensions to lengthen the arm. I put in an extension piece on mine, although it does reduce the maximum monitor weight allowed but that isn't a problem with most modern monitors.  But, the main suggestion I would make with such a setup is to use a solid table with some counterweights, then drill a hole through the table to mount it. Far more stable than the C-clamp option (Ergotron arms come with the through-hole and the C-clamp as options).
Solid advice, however I'm several states away so custom mods are a bit harder to arrange.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
My advice would be a cheap laptop over a tablet. The interface works better than touch on tablet. If you live in a large-ish city, there might even be a computer box store you can try out to see if there are any compatibility issues with Roll20.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Something that would increase the usability of a touch screen on Roll20 is installing the chrome extension touch20 . It adds a lot of touch functionality to the game.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't think that the iPad accepts extensions. It certainly won't let you use (real) Chrome. This is likely different outside of Apple's walled garden.

Edited 1674424782
Scott C. said: Something that would increase the usability of a touch screen on Roll20 is installing the chrome extension touch20 . It adds a lot of touch functionality to the game. So I tested out Touch20, on a complete junk tablet I got on a black friday sale a couple years ago, and it managed to load Roll20, move the token, open token attributes, and load the (completely overdone and memory hogging) Pathfinder Community Sheet.  Had to switch to Pan View to move around more effectively (honestly the first time that's been useful), but not too much trouble.  Couldn't launch the sheet from the token, couldn't resize the sheet window, and couldn't drag actions into the macro bar, but thoroughly usable.  Only real concern that I couldn't really find a way to edit the token attributes or sheet.  I could select the text, but wouldn't pop up the keyboard, and even manually launching it didn't work.  Thank you so much Scott, and to ... David Bauske, for creating the extension. May still go cheap laptop, but I think this would work fine.  Thank you everyone for the help!
Scott C. said: Something that would increase the usability of a touch screen on Roll20 is installing the chrome extension touch20 . It adds a lot of touch functionality to the game. Ahh, it seems Touch20 only works on PC, not tablet?   Not sure how I got the results I did.