Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The *advantage* argument

So i have DM'd since lock-down (took a year out but am back to it) - and i started a campaign earlier... One of my players brought up something which i always thought i KNEW... (I was taught a specific way as a DM from other DMs who play roll20) The argument is as follows: Player: am i rolling with advantage? Me: No Player: Rolls with *Always roll Advantage* Player: Rolls 23 (nat + bonus) on left side... rolls 7 on right side Me: Ok, you fail Player: WTF!!! ITS A NAT 20!!! Me: This is without advantage... Player: Yes then  you ALWAYS take the number on the left!!! Me: No... if its a straight roll you take the LOWEST number Player: NO YOU ALWAYS TAKE THE NUMBER ON THE LEFT!!! OR IT IS DISADVANTAGE!!! Me: Fine, lets just get through this session and i will check later ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I personally was taught if it is *always roll advantage* and its a normal roll you take the lower number - who is correct? And if i am wrong, why have 4 other DMs ruled it the way i have? Cheers

Edited 1674255897
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Your player is right here. You pick a side and always use that side. Most people who do this use the left side - it's more natural. If you always take the lowest, that is the same as Roll With Disadvantage, so you are inflicting a penalty of every roll. If you and your player can't agree, do not use the Always Roll With Advantage checked.

Edited 1674255885
If you choose to take the lower number on two rolls, you're making that roll with disadvantage. If you choose a side (usually the left) then that roll can either be higher or lower, it's agnostic, as if you'd just made a straight roll. Your player's right, although everyone should agree on a side beforehand.
well thank you very much for that - as i say just confusing to the way i was personaly taught as when i have played a few campaigns myself as a PC... i argued with MY DM's about it and it was a case of *accept it or leave*... i should have left because they were wrong Thanks again - but in my defense my player could have been a lot calmer about it when i said *but, i was taught thats not the case*
I agree, and you made a good call saying "let's discuss this later", as things can certainly get heated in the middle of a game. FYI In my own games we always use the left-hand side roll if you are not rolling with advantage.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Left hand side is actually in the documentation for the sheet: It is commonly agreed upon that a gaming group uses the left roll result when advantage is not being used for a check
then as i imply, the DMs i have had last year were either trolling me or were idiots themselves Thanks all, at least now i know the truth - and have apologised to my player/s
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That's good :) They might not have been trolling you, but I hesitate to call people I don't know idiots-  but they were definitely doing it wrong.